Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It sounds by this that you either recognize that "Other's" than white may be treated differently or You don't understand why "Other's" are so upset?? Can't figure out just what you are stating here??

BTW~~ Not all Other's are "non-white" yet their station in life is lesser..aka POOR..and for some reason politicians cut their programs and creates a dis-enfranchisement for them too...SOme call them Takers or losers or worse..Worthless and need to pul their collective pants up SMH..

Poverty is NOT only OTHERS..Poverty hits everybody..Not Just Liberals but Conservatives..Yet their Base continues to try and paint it's ALL on Liberals that are the takers and low-lives..and THEY (republican's) are the makers and know those in need have to take responsibility while trickle down affects keeps getting put forward.. Proven Wrong like decades ago!!

Trickle-down economics is the greatest broken promise of our lifetime
Alex Andreou
The richest 85 people in the world have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5bn. That should be a wake-up call to the deepest sleepers

Trickle-down economics is the greatest broken promise of our lifetime | Alex Andreou | Comment is free | The Guardian
I'm saying that others do get treated "different". Here's an example of what i mean. Lets say its 2am and a clean cut normal looking white guy walks into a 24 hour convenience store. The casher won't look at him twice. If a young african american male with sweatpants and a backwards ball cap walked into the same store at the same time, he might be "watched" a little closer as he moves around the store. Now, is the treatment that the white guy receives some sort of "privilege"? No, its just normal treatment, he's not geting any special treatment, he's just not getting "extra scrutiny" .

To me, the "Extra scrutiny" is a "non white disadvantage" because getting watched more carefully is no "advantage" to the white person....he's being watched "normally" and to me, getting watched normally isn't any kind of privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I'm saying that others do get treated "different". Here's an example of what i mean. Lets say its 2am and a clean cut normal looking white guy walks into a 24 hour convenience store. The casher won't look at him twice. If a young african american male with sweatpants and a backwards ball cap walked into the same store at the same time, he might be "watched" a little closer as he moves around the store. Now, is the treatment that the white guy receives some sort of "privilege"? No, its just normal treatment, he's not geting any special treatment, he's just not getting "extra scrutiny" .

To me, the "Extra scrutiny" is a "non white disadvantage" because getting watched more carefully is no "advantage" to the white person....he's being watched "normally" and to me, getting watched normally isn't any kind of privilege.
Well, in a way, not having extra scrutiny while someone else is getting it can be perceived as a form of privilege. Not getting the scrutiny is normal. However, if someone else is getting it, the person who isn't getting that extra scrutiny is getting more privilege relative to the person who is getting the extra scrutiny.

And the example you provided has some extremes. A better example would be if BOTH the White guy and the African-American guy were wearing sweatpants and a backwards baseball cap. That is when it means more.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, in a way, not having extra scrutiny while someone else is getting it can be perceived as a form of privilege. Not getting the scrutiny is normal. However, if someone else is getting it, the person who isn't getting that extra scrutiny is getting more privilege relative to the person who is getting the extra scrutiny.

And the example you provided has some extremes. A better example would be if BOTH the White guy and the African-American guy were wearing sweatpants and a backwards baseball cap. That is when it means more.
It can be viewed as a form of privilege, but my theory is that because the treatment the white guy receives is 'normal' its not a privilege to be treated normally....to the white guy, he could care less how others are treated, he's just worried how HES treated and if he's treated normally, he's not viewing that as some privilege.

I think that your point would hold more water if you believe that getting poor treatment is the "norm" and is in any way the "median" expectation at how society should treat individuals or how other individuals should treat individuals.

When i'm the guy walking into 7-11 at 2am, i'm not feeling "privileged" that the casher isn't looking at me funny....im expecting to be looked at 'normally' so to me, that's not any kind of privilege.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:30 AM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
Someone talked about two kids growing up, one white, one black, same lower-middle class neighborhood and income level.

Is one more likely to ascend higher than the socio-economic level of their parents?

Yes.

The one who has parents who teach him anything is possible. The one who has parents who teach him perseverance. The one who has parents who take an interest in their education, their character, their ethics and honesty and treating all other people with respect. The one with parents who are present and model a loving healthy family relationship. The ones with parents who teach them every dollar, no matter how few there are in the family, is earned from hard work. The ones who teach them to handle delayed gratification and patience.

The kid who has defeated parents who believe the system is rigged against them, it's not worth it to try, the man is going to keep you down, missing or substance-addled parents, criminal parents, parents that teach their kids to resent the wealthy not to aspire to be the wealthy, the kid with parents who live like each second is their last and don't prepare for the future...

Doesn't matter what the color of skin is. Kids brought up to believe they can do anything often do.

It's easier to believe and teach that there opportunity for all and the ability of all to achieve when you are one of the ones who took advantage of your opportunity and achieved. If poor life decisions got in your way, it may cloud your vision, but if you take responsibility for the consequences of your behavior, it's not impossible. If a parent spends their life bemoaning their fate and blaming it on the other guy, that's what kids will model.

I was privileged to have a mother who taught me the value of education and that a woman can do anything she puts her mind to career-wise, that I should never let people tell me there's anything I'm not capable of.

Sometimes privilege has more to do with the values taught in the home than anything else... It's not a matter of color or how long you've been in this country.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
to counter white privilege, blacks and other races (but mostly blacks) have created affirmative action. when i see a black doctor, i call him an affirmative action doc. i don't believe he has earned good grades. i believe he is just there to fill a quota. there's no way that guy is a professional. when i see an asian doctor, i call that man or woman someone who studied day and night on iv drips to get a medical license. when i see a white doctor, i call him or her hardworking. this white privilege nomenclature has only hurt blacks, and they absolutely do realize that (the ones who are educated, not the freeloading ghetto residents whose housing is paid by the housing authority of said municipality). why do people focus on it? the point of all this was to show arguable differences in quality during the jim crow era of separate but equal. well now they are integrated but went beyond asking for equality by arguing for "bonus points for being said race (again, it's mostly blacks) vs. being white" on exams and entrances to colleges.

here's a good example of an indian guy actually going the opposite way by touting "black privilege"

mindy kaling's brother: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/living...mative-action/

Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 AM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
to counter white privilege, blacks and other races (but mostly blacks) have created affirmative action. when i see a black doctor, i call him an affirmative action doc. i don't believe he has earned good grades. i believe he is just there to fill a quota. there's no way that guy is a professional. when i see an asian doctor, i call that man or woman someone who studied day and night on iv drips to get a medical license. when i see a white doctor, i call him or her hardworking. this white privilege nomenclature has only hurt blacks, and they absolutely do realize that (the ones who are educated, not the freeloading ghetto residents whose housing is paid by the housing authority of said municipality). why do people focus on it? the point of all this was to show arguable differences in quality during the jim crow era of separate but equal. well now they are integrated but went beyond asking for equality by arguing for "bonus points for being said race (again, it's mostly blacks) vs. being white" on exams and entrances to colleges.

here's a good example of an indian guy actually going the opposite way by touting "black privilege"

mindy kaling's brother: Mindy Kaling's brother: I faked being black - CNN.com
Funny you should say that. I'm a Black doctor and I scored in the 98th percentile on my MCAT and am graduating from a top 10 med school in the US. I don't care what you think about whether or not I worked hard, but if you're gonna assume I'm not good enough because of my skin colour then that's your loss, Moderator cut: language

However, if you wanna go to a physician that graduated from some third rate medical school because he's asian then that's your business.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-11-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
It can be viewed as a form of privilege, but my theory is that because the treatment the white guy receives is 'normal' its not a privilege to be treated normally....to the white guy, he could care less how others are treated, he's just worried how HES treated and if he's treated normally, he's not viewing that as some privilege.

I think that your point would hold more water if you believe that getting poor treatment is the "norm" and is in any way the "median" expectation at how society should treat individuals or how other individuals should treat individuals.

When i'm the guy walking into 7-11 at 2am, i'm not feeling "privileged" that the casher isn't looking at me funny....im expecting to be looked at 'normally' so to me, that's not any kind of privilege.
The treatment of that White guy might be normal over all. However, if a Black guy isn't offered that same exact treatment, then the White guy is privileged relative to the Black guy. No one can be on top without someone being below them. You might not view it as normal because for you it's normal treatment. However, this is about treatment relative to how others are treated. From someone else's view, you are privileged because you have an advantage compared to them.

My point is about considering how people are treated when ALL situations are equal. That is when it counts. In a sense, I do sometimes expect relatively suspicious treatment because I've experienced it. I don't think I should expect it at all.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The treatment of that White guy might be normal over all. However, if a Black guy isn't offered that same exact treatment, then the White guy is privileged relative to the Black guy. No one can be on top without someone being below them. You might not view it as normal because for you it's normal treatment. However, this is about treatment relative to how others are treated. From someone else's view, you are privileged because you have an advantage compared to them.

My point is about considering how people are treated when ALL situations are equal. That is when it counts. In a sense, I do sometimes expect relatively suspicious treatment because I've experienced it. I don't think I should expect it at all.
Here's an analogy of how i look at it.

Lets say there's a sporting event or a play or a show that requires a ticket to enter. There are 3 sections in the theatre or arena, there's the front section which are the best seats, the middle section which are average seats and the boondocks which are the worst seats in the place.

Now, lets say that a white guy purchases a seat in the middle section and so does a black guy. They both walk in and sit in the same row in the middle section they both paid the same amount of money for their seats.

An usher comes by and sees the white guy sitting near the black guy and goes up to the white guy and says "sir, someone in front left early, im going to move you to the front because you're white" THAT would be "white privilege" because the white guy is essentially getting treated BETTER than he could normally be expected to be treated.

Now, lets say the same usher came back under a different scenario and he saw the white guy sitting next to the black guy and came up to the black guy and said "sir im sorry but because you're black, you have to move to the back section"

Now, in the last scenario, the white guy purchased a ticket for the middle section and stayed there while the black guy was moved back......would you say in this situation what happened is "white privilege"? The white guy didn't get moved to the front, he bought a middle ticket and stayed in the middle section, nothing changed for him, nothing got better or worse, he wasn't 'handed anything' so to me, the last example would be more "black disadvantage" than "white privilege". Its not a "privilege" for the white guy to essentially be allowed to stay in the section he paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates