Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Blah Blah Blah Blah
This was so difficult to read. So much pointless rhetoric. I could edit half the words out of your argument and say the exact thing.
My post merely took the time to parry, in advance, the thrust of several of the simplistic arguments the folks over in Left Field are prone to raise.

If you don't like the truth, that's your problem, and I'm sure that like many of the self-righteous few, you'ld like to silence the entire argument.

Scratch an egalitarian and you'll find a closeted Fascist ..... every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 PM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My post merely took the time to parry, in advance, the thrust of several of the simplistic arguments the folks over in Left Field are prone to raise.

If you don't like the truth, that's your problem, and I'm sure that like many of the self-righteous few, you'ld like to silence the entire argument.

Scratch an egalitarian and you'll find a closeted Fascist ..... every time.

This has nothing to do with your opinion on the subject. I'm laughing at your arrogant use of language, you write like an unaccomplished english major. I doubt it's possible for you to respond to a discussion without the use of riddles.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with your opinion on the subject. I'm laughing at your arrogant use of language, you write like an unaccomplished english major. I doubt it's possible for you to respond to a discussion without the use of riddles.
So here's a "riddle" for you and the rest of the latter-day Jacobins:

Applying your "logic", anyone who expresses his/her thoughts in the vocabulary and grammar of an alcoholic illiterate should be granted greater credence in the eyes of the enlightened few, I suppose?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-22-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
So, using your "logic", anyone who expresses his/her thoughts in the vocabulary and grammar of an alcoholic illiterate should be granted greater credence in the eyes of the enlightened few, I suppose?
Your pompous diction flows like diarrhea.

what does an alcoholic illiterate have to do with anything?
At what point did I say that you need to write stupidly to get your point across?
All I said was you write like an A-hole.
Read before you respond.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Your pompous diction flows like diarrhea.

what does an alcoholic illiterate have to do with anything?
At what point did I say that you need to write stupidly to get your point across?
All I said was you write like an A-hole.
Read before you respond.
Succinctness is a virtue, but saying things like "you write like an A-hole." reflects far worse on yourself than the writing style of whomever you are saying that to does on them.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Let's approach this from another, less-confrontational angle; I happen to be a pretty good technical writer, I have the one A grade an instructor in that course during my undergraduate days gave in each of his classes to prove it, and that "strategy" tends to carry over into any writing of a persuasive or argumentative nature.

But I don't do so well in certain other areas; for physical reasons apparent at birth, to cite an example, my entire body is "out of plumb" and most "artistic" efforts end up looking "sloppy"; (also means, despite any feelings about gun control, I'll never be a good shot with a rifle). So I tend to evade, or downplay such outlets, and to hire someone else when that's what the situation calls for.

That's the way things are supposed to work in any aspect of society -- human strengths and weaknesses naturally vary. The vast majority of human beings, regardless of ethnicity or origins, can find some niche from which they're able to make their way in the world at a respectable pace, and the few who can't can be protected by the "safety net" -- if the bureaucratic empire-builders and seekers of power don't overextend it. The stagnation and drabness of Harold Wilson's Britain in the Sixties and most of the Seventies was on a par with that in much of Europe in the dark days of the Thirties.

What is it about that point that the petty egalitarians can't grasp?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-22-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 PM

725 posts, read 805,282 times
Because they like to tear whites down instead of looking to their own problems, not that it is possible to fix those problems.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Succinctness is a virtue, but saying things like "you write like an A-hole." reflects far worse on yourself than the writing style of whomever you are saying that to does on them.
I'm not trying to depict myself in any sort of light. So if an A-hole I be, then fine.
I made my point and I did it in a few sentences without trying to sound intelligent.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Let's approach this from another, less-confrontational angle; I happen to be a pretty good technical writer, I have the one A grade an instructor in that course during my undergraduate days gave in each of his classes to prove it, and that "strategy" tends to carry over into any writing of a persuasive or argumentative nature.

But I don't do so well in certain other areas; for physical reasons apparent at birth, to cite an example, my entire body is "out of plumb" and most "artistic" efforts end up looking "sloppy"; (also means, despite any feelings about gun control, I'll never be a good shot with a rifle). So I tend to evade, or downplay such outlets, and to hire someone else when that's what the situation calls for.

That's the way things are supposed to work in any aspect of society -- human strengths and weaknesses naturally vary. The vast majority of human beings, regardless of ethnicity or origins, can find some niche from which they're able to make their way in the world at a respectable pace, and the few who can't can be protected by the "safety net" -- if the bureaucratic empire-builders and seekers of power don't overextend it. The stagnation and drabness of Harold Wilson's Britain in the Sixties and most of the Seventies was on a par with that in much of Europe in the dark days of the Thirties.

You honestly do seem like a great writer. You have an immense vocabulary. I, a college student, who is currently well prepared and practiced in "advanced" reading find you rhetoric somewhat challenging. But, for the 3rd time, it is unnecessary. This isn't school, it's an online forum, with people of all educational backgrounds. Congrats on your A, but we don't need you to flaunt.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,642 times
Quote:

So what is your point, really? Do you simply want to rely on the Darwinian natural selection and justify the various fates of people?

I will simply state this: a society is noble when it takes care of its weakest members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates