Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are welfare abusers but many buy into the conservative/Tea Party/libertarian view that ALL welfare recipients are abusers. They aren't.
It's sad when some people paint things with broad strokes, but not uncommon.

There are also many on the Progressive/Liberal/Left Wing side that think the Government owes people and should be taking care of everyone. That's not a good view either and it's a small minority on both sides.

I for one are one of the conservative folks you mention. I've seen both sides of the spectrum, from people abusing the system and people who really need help. I'm thankful we live in a country that can help people when they really need it, but sadden that there are a lot of "takers" that could be working (or giving back in some fashion). I can attest to you that are not many Conservatives that see ALL welfare recipients as abusers. We just believe there can be a better way to help and we do need to control the fraud. We cannot continue on in the direction we are heading.

As for helping people off of welfare with jobs, "when there are no jobs". The problem I see is that jobs come to areas that have a willing and educated workforce. As many have mentioned here, our government needs to focus on job creation. That comes in many forms, such as educating/training those on welfare, offering incentives to job creators to set up jobs in high welfare areas, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I think a lot if not most of you all have great points. ultimately it's the abuse of the system that frustrates me so much, there is a need for welfare absolutely. A more perfect welfare system would be a tiered system that with educational and/or real life work skill requirements would motivate people to want to better themselves. I realize a lot of people is poverty have negative learned behaviors as a result of their environment. Maybe it's just a dream, I just feel more could be done to empower people want to break the cycle. My hope is to better these people in the long run, not to hurt them.
I feel that a lot of people on welfare do NOT want to be on welfare. They just can not see a way out and our current leadership is not showing them a way out. If a person is on welfare and the current political party promises to keep sending them money and the other party wants to wean them off but don't have a good plan, it would be expected that the recipients would want to keep the current party in power. Therefore the cycle keeps going.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
For what it's worth, he committed suicide in 2013.
There you go, he was not mentally stable. He qualified for the benefits he received. Maybe he didn't spend his time rescuing animals, but who knows what was going on in his mind.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
How much did the Haliburton war in Iraq cost and we can't help some people out? WOW.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:11 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Getting rid of corporate welfare makes more sense. Some big corporations are making out big time.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
How much did the Haliburton war in Iraq cost and we can't help some people out?
WOW.
Looks like the Iraq war has cost nearly $819B thus far.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/war-in-iraq/

As of 2013 all social programs in the US cost $2.38T each year (and growing). The number comes from 2012 and from Wikipedia, but was all I could find on a quick look. Maybe someone else can dig up better numbers.

Social programs in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/

But there isn't much we can do now about the Iraq war, now that money is gone. Be nice if we could not fight further wars, but so far we've spent $1.5B just fighting ISIS. If we can get peace in the world then we could lower the military budget of $640B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Getting rid of corporate welfare makes more sense. Some big corporations are making out big time.
As for just welfare programs, the US spends nearly 3 times more on corporate welfare. Over $70B in oil welfare, another $30B in renewable energy. Here is some interesting info:

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government...re-statistics/

Last edited by USNRET04; 02-25-2015 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
As of 2013 all social programs in the US cost $2.38T each year (and growing).
Um, excuse me, but I am paying into social security, so of course it is growing. You do understand the baby boomers are retired now for the most part don't you? What do you expect to happen?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Your 100% correct, I know there is a shortage of jobs in some areas. I feel for those people, I really do. They cannot pick up and move to an area with jobs without money. We most definitely should not kill them off lol. I just want to see them work for money. community service, volunteer,, ect.

I realize some people need welfare. I'm not against having welfare, I'm against having a system that is so widely abused. I work downtown and the first of the month makes me sick. People lined up to cash checks bragging about how they got more and how to do it. Literally lines out of the liquor, beer, cigarette store. This is what passes me off so much. the fact of the matter is any time you give away no strings attached free money, it will be abused.
I mostly agree with you and I am on welfare. However the job training or education needs to be more specific. If a certain employer requires certification the government needs to supply the certification.
I know I am perfectly capable of working (certain jobs I know I can't so I have limitations but I know I can be in the world and have a job.) but they just won't let me. I'm sure some people assume I don't mind being on welfare because I do make my own money but I certainly wouldn't consider it an income as people in sweatshops probably make more than me...am lucky if I make 10 dollars a day especially since I have no referrals. This is without taxes too. One night I stayed up from like 1 to 4 making a dollar. I got exhausted but I pushed myself to do it anyway. I know I'd feel worse if I didn't make ANY money at all because there has been days where I didn't do it and my depression got worse (since you mentioned volunteering it would be the same thing for me. it can't replace paid work). I think I'm so against welfare for myself that it helps contribute to health problems. I am irritated at the world and I'm irritated at myself. I just think it's crazy that they were able to give me section 8 but people like that don't bother to help me find work. Anytime I try asking for help to the right people I often get ignored and it's hard enough to have to ask for help to begin with (I wouldn't have section 8 if it wasn't for my mom so I didn't even ask for it). I don't know if I'm going off on a tangent or not. Sometimes it's hard to tell for sure maybe because of my mental issues.
I guess what I'm saying is the problem with welfare is you are treated like you are an invalid even though you know you can work. The world is enabling people to be unemployable.

Last edited by Nickchick; 02-28-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates