Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 914,344 times

Advertisements

So why are there so many victims of this? Wouldn't it just be easier to remove yourself from the site you're being bullied on? Why are we becoming so sensitive as a culture?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,830,919 times
I don't get it either, even though I do see people here get all offended, I can't grasp the concept of cyberbullying, and getting all butt hurt because some anon calls you a poopyhead in every thread you make or post in, hit the iggy, and be done with it. On Literotica, I was being harrased by this lesbo loser, so I hit the Iggy, bam, no more "cyber bullying."

Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
If it's just something like a forum maybe, but some of the cases I've heard of go beyond that. They seek the victim out and involve others as well. I'm not sure we can tell anyone to just avoid the internet, email and texting anymore either. Often the bullies are people that know someone IRL so it's not hard for them to "find" the person online. If there is a website devoted to bashing you it doesn't really matter if you stay off of it when everyone you know is reading it all.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,830,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If it's just something like a forum maybe, but some of the cases I've heard of go beyond that. They seek the victim out and involve others as well. I'm not sure we can tell anyone to just avoid the internet, email and texting anymore either. Often the bullies are people that know someone IRL so it's not hard for them to "find" the person online. If there is a website devoted to bashing you it doesn't really matter if you stay off of it when everyone you know is reading it all.
I don't advise simply running from the internet, there are precautions you can take, however. When I was a kid; rule one to the internet was display no personal information. I'm not hard to find online either, in fact, it's really easy, google my name. A website can get shut down, just ask the owner of Is Anyone Up? He got shutdown, and a prison sentance. Social networking sites are the easiest way for people to do this, like facebook, people use their real names, email, phone, sometimes home address in their contact information. I've had people talk mad cash to me on a local board 502streetscene, there was a hundred page thread about me and my sexuality, and I set all boards to 40ppp, so I know it was long, I just battled it out, and stopped responding around page sixty. With little intervention of the mods, it stopped. I've had users hastle me on FullSizeChevy, on a few things, but I stuck it oit, and the reason I don't go on there anymore is I sold my K10.

It doesn't matter how "permanate" things seem on the internet, the teased can put a stop to it with help of site owners, and legal officials, if it comes to that. I'm still hard pressed to call it bullying, especially in the conotation people throw at it. A bunch of strangers get together, there's going to be some ruffled feathers. It's not hard to show you don't care on the internet. I've seen people battle it out, I've seen people get shunned and never come back.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
A lot of people are seeking acceptance, and when they get the opposite it crushes their spirit.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 PM

1,431 posts, read 914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think people will eventually just leave you alone. If they're not getting a reponse out of you, why continue?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
As my mother told me about 60 years ago; "Just ignore them. Eventually, they will get bored and find somebody else to bother!"
It worked.
But then, I am not on Twitter (Can't see any reason to be there); I rarely post anything on facebook; and what anybody says to or about me on these forums is nothing to get upset about.
As somebody once said; "It will never make history; it probably won't even make the newspapers!"

Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,306,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
So why are there so many victims of this? Wouldn't it just be easier to remove yourself from the site you're being bullied on? Why are we becoming so sensitive as a culture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
As my mother told me about 60 years ago; "Just ignore them. Eventually, they will get bored and find somebody else to bother!"
There is cyberbullying and then there is cyberbullying.

In the schoolyard, true cyberbullying goes well beyond the 'sticks & stones' of the old days. A bully at school might have 5-10 friends who could make your life miserable, but a cyberbully can reach virtually your entire school, any school you might transfer to and the community at large.

In the workplace a cyberbully can cause immense problems at work, up to and including your possible termination. The spreading of rumors can be fatal to your reputation and there is little you can do about it.

If you are trying to call anonymous people online calling other anonymous people online names cyberbullying, that isn't cyberbullying, it's just fun.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 AM

865 posts, read 1,078,227 times
Sometimes the bully can pursue a victim from one website to another and use the internet to slander their victim. In cases where the bully is spreading malicious lies about the victim, I believe that there should be some legal protection for the victim, as they should not be required to be ever vigilant to defend themselves against mendacities.

On the other hand, I do not like this trend in modern day society where people feel entitled never to be offended. I think that people should either just learn to endure some conflict or ignore it.

I think that in most of the high profile, tragic cases of cyberbullying, a much better outcome could have been achieved if the victims had been prepared by their parents and schools for the fact that conflict is going to exist in life and one better learn to be able to cope with it. I don't think that it is constructive to legislate that everyone must be kind and respectful to one another when posting on the Internet. Unfortunately, this is already the law in the UK and many other nations, but the US does not have to follow down that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.