Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:16 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,915,086 times

Advertisements

So which do you suppose made the greatest contribution to the world, math or language? Which is better if we had to pick only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
I don't know what this means. What do you mean, which made the greatest contribution to the world? The existence of hundreds, thousands of languages in the world is a fact, a product of human diversity.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-06-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times
Well, if I had to pick only one, it would be language. Math is great, but it's hard to share your engineering genius when you have no language to effectively communicate with. Indeed, math probably wouldn't exist if there was no language.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,642,739 times
Language. What good is mathematical genius if you can't communicate it to anyone?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 AM

21,180 posts, read 19,786,513 times
Definitely math. People will always find a way to communicate. Unlike language which is very malleable, mathematical principles transcend the variability of language. Today we use mathematical principles that were first developed by people we would not be able to carry on a conversation with.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM

339 posts, read 334,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So which do you suppose made the greatest contribution to the world, math or language? Which is better if we had to pick only one?

The vast majority of anthropologists and Social Science professors would claim that the invention of and use of language was by far the most crucial component in enabling homo sapiens (read: you and me!) to get to where we are today.

In fact, it so thought that it was the crucial "make or break" edge that allowed us to prevail over our primate competition, like Neanderthal man, some 50,000 years ago. The reasoning here falling along the lines of: with language, communications and planning are of course enhanced, which aids in survival skills. As well as warfare tactics and strategy too.

Remember that there have been near 30 different sub-species of primate bipedal hominids since the original of australopithecus forensis (who is thought to be "first human") some 7 million years ago. And we now stand alone! Last Ape standing!

Math? Important to be sure. And for technology, indispensable. But I do not think it is indispensable for survival. And I don't think you can consider just counting things, like how may portions to divvy-up a mastadon back in our hunter-gatherer days, as really being math. Anything beyond that, sure, maybe.

And I have not even used the most obvious weapon yet for my argument as to language trumping Math when it comes to being the most crucial. And that is: without language, there could be no math! LOL. As it is crucial to be able to communicate and share ideas when practicing the scientific method, which of course math is a part of. For math to evolve, ideas (hypotheses) must be first established and then shared and either proved or discounted. I think it is safe to say this would be impossible without language.

Without higher mathematics we would not have reached the Moon.

But without language we would not even be here now talking about this!

http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.o.../363/1509/3591

Last edited by Der Vogel; 03-03-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
I'd have to agree with Albert, Einstein is irrelvant if he can't explain what is on the paper.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,915,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know what this means. What do you mean, which made the greatest contribution to the world? The existence of hundreds, thousands of languages in the world is a fact, a product of human diversity.

I can't relate to this question at all. Maybe you could develop it a little. This sub-forum has special TOS. Did you read those?
It's sort of a simple question and sort of a complicated question. Where would we be if we had basically no formal language but we had math skills that were out of this world? Or what would we be like if we were literary geniuses who couldn't comprehend 2 + 2? In which case would our society be more advanced?

Look at the question from that viewpoint. Really think about it. I had a friend state that he couldn't order from McDonald's if we had no language skills. To which someone else replied. "That will be a Number 1." See, it's not really a cut and dried question.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,666,644 times
What you said is kind of like me asking, "what made the greatest contribution, language or spanish?" Math IS a language. A different type of language than you are used to but a language nonetheless.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
What you said is kind of like me asking, "what made the greatest contribution, language or spanish?" Math IS a language. A different type of language than you are used to but a language nonetheless.
I'd agree somewhat but if there is no language there is no Spanish. Math could not evolve without the basic spoken word. Programming is a language:

$a = $b
$a == $b

Those have two completely different usages and meanings. If I can't covey to you their meaning you're going to be lost trying to figure it out. If I'm the only one that knows what it means then what's the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates