Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 AM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I'm missing something here, but how is the kind of job someone can work dependent upon their marital status? I'm not aware of any systemic job discrimination against singles based on the fact that they're not married. At one time systemic job discrimination against women based on their marital status was common, but that's now illegal although I know it still occurs.
Actually there was a time when job discrimination had also affected single males as well and it really wasn't all that long ago. As recently as the early 90's as a single male at the time I can remember working at a factory in Virginia and as I can recall at the interview they were very blunt..I was to work third shift even though they had a large number of job openings available on both first and second but those shifts were for those who were married with or without kids as well as for single women. According to many family members who were employed at other factories at the time their places of employment had a similar policy. Since third shift had paid more money I can still remember my cousin who worked first shift joking that "..since I need more money maybe I should divorce my wife to get on third". Whether one would be successful in getting days off especially the weekends marital status played a role too with married folks more often getting time off while it was like pulling teeth for single folks ( especially males ) in doing the same. Anyway by the late 90's when the factory fell under new ownership the marriage factor was thrown out the window with singles now working first and if they want married folks even those with kids were able to work third. With the way the laws are in this day and age I doubt if there are any factories or any other business that does this thing today..at least not having this "policy" out in the open anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 04:35 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who tells single people what kind of jobs they can work? No one's ever told me what jobs I can work.

Married people can combine their money only if they both work. They can buy houses easier only if they both work. Otherwise it's like a single person buying a house, but having to support an extra person.

Also, if they don't get along, they're either stuck with each other, or they have to go through the stress and expense of a divorce.

Being single in the US is pretty good.
Right on with this post.

You also share each other's debt, so if you're fine but marry someone in the red, you're out of luck! Not to mention to be married, you have to be single first ... not a bad place to be at.

Of course there are advantages to being married, but how does that mean you are severely limited if you aren't? As others have said, divorce is also a very real reality. 50% divorce rate in the states, and rising. Not to mention the mental implications of being married. I've seen a lot of married people who are unstable and have not done their work, and they try to live the "single" life at some point and it just doesn't work since they're married. A lot of people are jumping into marriage because they think it'll make their life better when it actually won't, for them.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
The nation has a vested interest in promoting monogamous marriage and stable households for child rearing. We should generally be concentrating on incentivizing virtuous behavior and disincentivizing antisocial behavior. Aside from any morality issues, we simply need to encourage the most productive citizens to not just be productive themselves, but to prepare the next generation of productive citizens, and it is utterly beyond doubt that children tend to have the best outcomes when both biological parents are present and active. This means incentivizing marriage and children, and disincentivizing divorce, cohabitation, infidelity, etc. This can be done both through laws and informally through culture. Obviously we are not doing so well here.
VERY well said.

Sadly though, when we keep paying welfare mothers more and more for each subsequent birth (through benefits offered), we're rewarding (subsidizing) bad behavior.

We need to turn that around.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
There's a certain amount of that still going on. As another poster mentioned, many times singles are expected to work later or change their schedules while marrieds, especially with children, are not expected to do so. That's different from limiting what jobs individuals can have based on their marital status, which is what the OP claimed.
If this is still an issue in some places, what would stop people from lying about their marital status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Right on with this post.

You also share each other's debt, so if you're fine but marry someone in the red, you're out of luck! Not to mention to be married, you have to be single first ... not a bad place to be at.

Of course there are advantages to being married, but how does that mean you are severely limited if you aren't? As others have said, divorce is also a very real reality. 50% divorce rate in the states, and rising. Not to mention the mental implications of being married. I've seen a lot of married people who are unstable and have not done their work, and they try to live the "single" life at some point and it just doesn't work since they're married. A lot of people are jumping into marriage because they think it'll make their life better when it actually won't, for them.
That business of being liable for each other's debt is a bit scary. You really have to be careful before you commit to marriage, and make sure you're with someone who isn't excessively debt-prone. A friend of mine wanted to marry a woman who had serious health issues. In the end, they lived together without marriage, because she had chronic medical debt that he couldn't afford to carry.

I wonder why the OP hasn't returned to defend or explain his/her silly points?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-08-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 12:26 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is government discrimination based on marital status.
This^

There should be no such thing as being "legally married."

All the rights that come with being married like allowing someone into a hospital room or making or making life or death health decisions should just be something on one's drivers license or ID card.

marriage status should not effect emigration policy either. Most the time it's just fraud anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates