Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:46 PM

339 posts, read 334,341 times

Advertisements

I am a 46 year-old guy living in Prescott, AZ. I have a good job with the VA and am also a lifelong athlete and work-out all the time and am very fit and active. Most of my friends say I look several years younger than I am.

So...as a kid i grew-up in California and surfed and skateboarded. I loved it, still do, in fact.

Which brings us to the reason for this post. I recently bought a skateboard and I have began skating, usually on weekends at a local skate park. Needless to say, I am the oldest guy there, by several, several years. LOL. The kids think it's cool. I am pretty good, but there are always kids there--well, usually, who are better.

I am interested in what adults think when they see a guy my age carving it up at a skate park? I would especially like to hear from women. Since, well, as a single, divorced guy I cannot help but admit that I have always been a "ladies guy" and so I can't help care what they think.

I would appreciate it if, for those of you who think what I do is too immature, you refrain form getting just plain mean; but I would like sincere thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Keep skating!!!

I do a different kind...ice skating. I'm a 60 year-old woman, and I only learned two years ago. EVERYBODY on the ice is younger than me.
Carve it up, man! If I were in the dating pool, I would give you all kinds of credit; for staying active and GETTING OUT THERE and HAVING FUN.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 PM

108 posts, read 389,669 times
We actually live across the street from our local skate park. I'm female, with kids that play around at the skate park often. It isn't uncommon for me to see someone someone skating that sounds similar to you. I have only heard or seen people react positively. I personally think it is great for anyone of any age to be active in any way they want to.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM

36,515 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I don't think it is immature at all. I like seeing older folks being active and enjoying themselves. Most guys around my age cant cut it a anything more than golf and most of that is drinking beer. A 46 yr. old guy skateboarding, sexy.

Just because your not a spring chicken anymore doesn't mean you have to act like an old rooster.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM

^^^^

THIS is the sort of thing I was hopin' for. LOL.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Let's see, now...
You are doing something that you obviously enjoy.
It is a healthy activity.
It is not illegal, immoral, or fattening.
It does not cost exorbitant amounts of money.
Now, please explain WHY you care about what other people think!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Hmm..I dunno.

I just looked around one day and noticed I was the only guy there over 25 and wondered how it might look to others, or if they cared, or...whatever. See, I am not used to being the only adult around kids. Everything else I do, at work or at play, is around adults. I do not have kids, either.

So I just wondered. I guess it was maybe a female co-worker--a nurse--who one day remarked when I told her I spent Saturday morning at the skate park, "Really? A full-grown man on a skateboard, huh? That's somethin' you don't see too much."

Of course, she is something of a b-word. LOL.

I always like to bring-up Tony Hawk!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I don't think anyone is "thinking" anything about you!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Seems fine to me. I'm an early-30s, married, small business owner who's part of an FPS online clan of gamers that mostly range in age from 30-50. I played baseball, football, and ice hockey growing up, and I've been doing freestyle BMX for almost 20 years now. I also enjoy writing poetry, cooking, and (I'm getting old) landscaping. Now-a-days I just have to push that stuff off until my everyday adult responsibilities are met, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Do whatever makes you happy, for as long as you can, so long as you're not hurting anyone. If people think it's weird, **** 'em. 46 doesn't mean you need to develop a beer gut and build yourself a casket. As for me, I'll be ready to stop when I run out of new and/or interesting things to do or learn.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 AM

91 posts, read 92,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
I am a 46 year-old guy living in Prescott, AZ. I have a good job with the VA and am also a lifelong athlete and work-out all the time and am very fit and active. Most of my friends say I look several years younger than I am.

So...as a kid i grew-up in California and surfed and skateboarded. I loved it, still do, in fact.

Which brings us to the reason for this post. I recently bought a skateboard and I have began skating, usually on weekends at a local skate park. Needless to say, I am the oldest guy there, by several, several years. LOL. The kids think it's cool. I am pretty good, but there are always kids there--well, usually, who are better.

I am interested in what adults think when they see a guy my age carving it up at a skate park? I would especially like to hear from women. Since, well, as a single, divorced guy I cannot help but admit that I have always been a "ladies guy" and so I can't help care what they think.

I would appreciate it if, for those of you who think what I do is too immature, you refrain form getting just plain mean; but I would like sincere thoughts.

Thanks.
Bravo! Keep going as long as you're able, and enjoy it. I'm in my 50s, and I play in a [no contact] ice hockey league, with kids as young as 19. There's another player in his early 80s. It's great exercise, and a nice social distraction. I do get those funny looks from co-workers, though, when I'm leaving for a game from work. It's usually the people who arrive in the office at 8:30 am, and are looking at a take-out menu for lunch by 8:45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates