Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
We never change our clocks in Arizona. Nobody has to adjust. Crops grow just as tall. The rhythm of all life is determined by sunrise and sunset not by government decree. Last time someone suggested daylight savings time in Arizona, the poll was 87% against the change so it was never mentioned again. We don't care that it costs the large corporate entities billions in lost productivity. F___ em.

I wish we didn't have to do it hear either. I like when the clocks go back because I always feel like I have more time. Going forward messes up my sleep patterns for quite awhile. I agree, leave it alone.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-08-2015 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-08-2015, 01:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
...It was my understanding it was done so the farmers had extra hours of daylight for their crops, but with technology including farm machinery I don't know why we continue to do it.
Are you serious? Farmers do not like it, as a whole. But mostly they just ignore it. They start at sunrise and work until it's too dark to continue, for the most part. The clock just tells them when the stores in town are open, not when they can work in the field.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-08-2015 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-08-2015, 01:19 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I grew up with one reason for this but it was changed again I think in 2005. The reports I read have been consistent for years. Losing one hour of sleep causes changes to us and it is damaging. When I worked, I was up between 5:30 - 6 a.m. When the change, after four months, initially I'm still living in that time. When DST hits, it throws a ton of us off. There is no valid reason for it and I read at least one state (farming) wants to leave it be. The farm animals are also very affected by this.
Feel free to post those studies that say "Losing one hour of sleep causes changes to us and is damaging".

The studies actually support that more time in natural light and less time in artificial light is better. Below are just three, but Googling "natural light health benefits" will bring up hundreds of sources.

The Link Between Light and Health | NBBJ
Beyond the Bulbs - In Praise of Natural Light - NYTimes.com
Natural Light In The Office Boosts Health : Northwestern University News

Other known benefits are it makes better use of natural daylight in general, it conserves energy otherwise spent on artificial light and it leads to a decrease road accidents by making sure roads are naturally lit during the hours with most traffic. Here are some of those links.

http://www.harristechnical.com/articles/ambient.pdf
STATISTICAL EVALUATION OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENT SEVERITY - Transport Research International Documentation - TRID
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

Next.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:21 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Most people don't seem to like it, but no one does anything about it. I think that's because once the time change stops messing with our circadian rhythms, people have forgotten all about the inconvenience until the next time they have to change their clocks.

I would fully support an end to this nonsense. There is absolutely no need for it.

Living in the Seattle area, which is the northernmost major metro in the contiguous 48 states, I'd be happy going to year-yound DST, because it gets dark so early here in the winter months. But I could live with either one -- year-round standard or year-round daylight saving. Just leave it one way or the other.

Indiana used to not change time. I grew up on the Indiana-Michigan border, and it used to make life difficult when Michigan changed time and Indiana didn't. We had family and friends on the Indiana side, and things as simple as planning a get-together became difficult with the time difference. It really got silly when I got a job in Indiana. I'd leave home for work at, say, 8:00 Michigan time and get to work at 7:30 Indiana time. Then I'd leave work at 5:00 Indiana time and get home at 6:30 Michigan time. But then the other half of the year, when Michigan "fell back," all our clocks would be on the same time. It was ridiculous. I used to get so mad at Indiana for not changing time with everyone else.

Now I appreciate what they did. We would have been better off had the rest of the country followed their lead.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I like the fact that the sun doesn't set until after 10pm on the longest day, so I wouldn't want to be on GMT during the summer months. I can'r understand why some people would rather that it get dark at 7:30 or 8pm in June where they live. Do they hate daylight?

However, I'd probably prefer it if they just stayed on British Summer Time the entire year.
Wait there is something wrong with your math. You are saying that the sun doesn't set until after 10pm BST. So without the time chance that would mean that it would set after 9PM GMT. Is a 9PM sunset really too early for you?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
I agree with the late radio commentator Paul Harvey when he said that Daylight saving time is one of the stupidest thing that any government has ever implemented.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

685 posts, read 720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Feel free to post those studies that say "Losing one hour of sleep causes changes to us and is damaging".

The studies actually support that more time in natural light and less time in artificial light is better. Below are just three, but Googling "natural light health benefits" will bring up hundreds of sources.

The Link Between Light and Health | NBBJ
Beyond the Bulbs - In Praise of Natural Light - NYTimes.com
Natural Light In The Office Boosts Health : Northwestern University News

Other known benefits are it makes better use of natural daylight in general, it conserves energy otherwise spent on artificial light and it leads to a decrease road accidents by making sure roads are naturally lit during the hours with most traffic. Here are some of those links.

http://www.harristechnical.com/articles/ambient.pdf
STATISTICAL EVALUATION OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENT SEVERITY - Transport Research International Documentation - TRID
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

Next.
Okay. No problem but I'll give you one versus a flood. Ah heck, I'll give you two.

8 ways that daylight saving time affects us

Economic and Health Effects Of Daylight Saving Time - Business Insider

For the other links, read what people have posted !

Old 03-08-2015, 06:16 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,925 times
The time change does mess with my system. but the fall back one is easier to adjust to. Tomorrow and for a few days I will be thrown off by getting up earlier than my body wants to.

It made no sense to me when they streched DST some years ago by moving it farther back into November and early in March. Who was yelling loudly for this to happen anyway?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Russia has been using DST for decades, and more recently from 2011 to 2013 they began using permanent DST year around with Super DST (2 hours ahead) for summer, very smart. They were gaining power and prestige around the world by using this advanced form of time keeping, then in 2014 disaster struck. They dumped DST last year in favor of keeping Standard Time year around. This inferior new time line has cast millions into darkness. Their economy is in shambles because morning people have stolen all the jobs, and nothing but evil has befallen Russia since the change. It is sickening the way they take photons away from the many and give to the few, they have became a village of the damned. This barbaric new form of time communism will not succeed.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:37 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I dislike changing the clock twice a year and do not see any reason for doing so. It was my understanding it was done so the farmers had extra hours of daylight for their crops, but with technology including farm machinery I don't know why we continue to do it.
This. I hate changing the clocks and see no reason for it. It is disruptive to my sleep schedule and the schedule on which I walk and feed my dogs. I also would prefer to see the days lengthen naturally instead of having a huge gap where one evening it is dark and the next it is light out. I would much prefer to have the time consistent throughout the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates