Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, to clarify, the Jewish tradition is not specifically about naming for a grandparent, it's just that is frequently the closest deceased relative. And the new parents often want to honor someone they shared a special relationship with. My son is named for my grandmother and I have shared many things about her with him, even though he never got to meet her.
I got a little creative.
My son's middle name came from my brother, my father, and my great-grandfather.
It was a little trickier with my daughter- I wanted to honor my grandmother, very much disliked the name, so my approach was what did I remember best about my grandmother, and it was her beautiful rose bushes. So, my daughter's middle name: Rose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I overheard a discussion today between a father-to-be and a friend (I'm guessing that's what he was). The mod edit: father to be told the other guy that they were going to name the son after him, the father.

I think this is something that fathers do. I've never heard of a mother naming a daughter after her... but I could be wrong. The first impression I get is that this is a male ego thing. What else could it be? The son (or daughter) is supposed to be an original, so why not give them their own name?

What do you think?

Nothing new at all and a lot of the names are family names or tradition.
In some cases a daughter will be named after the mother but used as a middle name or when used as a first name the child is referred to by their middle name.

Perhaps parents name their children what they want to name them without giving a thought to what someone else, who is not their child's parent thinks they should do.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
I know a grandfather who named both of his sons after himself and insisted that ALL of his grandsons be named after him too. Only one daughter-in-law refused to go along with this, and the grandfather was furious. They all go by nicknames, and constantly have problems with being confused for one another because they all live in the same town, go to the same doctor, the DMV, etc etc. I think there should be a one-use-per-generation name limit.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-13-2015 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: removed icon

Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
My husband was named after his father and never cared for that name...we
named our son a popular name and he likes his name...he's in his 40's.

I knew a couple named Joseph and Mary....they name their kids Joseph
And Mary too....I say give the kids their own names.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
I overheard a discussion today between a father-to-be and a friend (I'm guessing that's what he was). The mod edit: father to be told the other guy that they were going to name the son after him, the father.

I think this is something that fathers do. I've never heard of a mother naming a daughter after her... but I could be wrong. The first impression I get is that this is a male ego thing. What else could it be? The son (or daughter) is supposed to be an original, so why not give them their own name?

What do you think?
I don't like it either. It seems like an ego thing to me too. "I'm so great I need to remind myself through my kid how fantastic I am for the rest of my life and even beyond the grave." Even if the father doesn't want to admit that's true, I definitely suspect that is partly the case. I have even heard of men naming their DAUGHTERS after themselves. They name them a feminized version of their own names. If the dad doesn't have a son and their name is Thomas, they name their daughter Thomasine, for instance. I also agree that I have never heard of a mother naming her daughter after herself, which is another reason I suspect it's an ego thing. Although women can have just as huge egos as men, I believe they are less obvious about it.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM

38 posts, read 58,842 times
Growing up, I had a best female friend who's middle name was Kay. The firstborn female of each generation was given Kay as a middle name. I'm not sure why.

What I found to be weird was a guy I know who named his children in pairs (best way I can think to describe). His boy and girl from his first marriage were Christian and Christina, and then in his second marriage came Victoria and Victor. (Victoria was originally given the name because of the grandfather "Victor", then when the boy was born, they named him after the grandfather, too.)

Naming like that was a tradition, but I just don't see why it needs to continue to be so.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encode View Post
Growing up, I had a best female friend who's middle name was Kay. The firstborn female of each generation was given Kay as a middle name. I'm not sure why.
When I was a schoolkid, almost every girl I knew had "Ann" as a middle name. I don't think there was a reason for it, other than it being popular. Very few girls had different middle names.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times
How about good old George Foreman? That can't be an ego thing, can it?
He also apparently has a daughter named Georgetta!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-14-2015 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Just because you haven't heard of it, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Baby girls are named after their grandmothers, and their daughters are named after their mothers. This pattern guarantees that the lineage can be tracked through the female line. That means that there are two female first names that alternate each generation ... easy to follow.

It has nothing to do with "ego". It is related to "identity", and knowing where one comes from ... having a connection to ancestors' lifestyles, and that sense of adventure that led you to them.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
I guess it's a combination of ego and family tradition (which may be based on ego) unless there is a noteworthy ancestor to be honored. I know of a five year old with the name of a very prominent relative from generations ago who has an historic iron gate named for him at an Ivy League University. I doubt if it will help him get admitted since I don't believe there has been any interaction between the family and the school for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates