Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 07:49 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on Yahoo news and thought it was a rather extreme way to get a point across.

This Is What Happens When Gun Control Advocates Open A (Fake) Gun Store

Gun control advocates opened a fake gun store for a few days to get peoples reactions to the guns they were selling. The guns were supposedly used by kids to kill other kids. It did give people pause to think about guns and I agree there is a problem and it is tragic when a child plays with a gun and accidently shoots another kid but this "store" was a bit extreme.

In fact I think it was somewhat macabre like a circus side show of horrors.

There are many products out there that have no mind of their own and are equally deadly as a gun.
I could say that every time I drive by a car dealership and think "look at all those shiny new death machines." I'm more concerned with a drunk druggy crashing his car into mine and killing me than a gun in the hand of a child or a criiminal.

Isn't it just as irresponsible to leave a loaded gun out where a kid could play with it as leaving the keys in the ignition and let the child play in the car? How about putting the kids in the car after having a few drinks or taking some drugs either legal or not. There is a deadly risk that happens everday in America more often than a child playing with an unsecured gun.

The morale of the story SECURE THOSE GUNS.

Anti Gun: Was this "store" a good idea to make their point and get people thinking?

Pro Gun: A pro gun group could do the same thing with guns being used properly that have saved lives.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Well, let's see...
What is in my shop and garage that even a kid could use to kill or injure his friend or sibling...
knives
screwdrivers
poisonous substances
an ATV
a lawn tractor, with 54 inch mower
Lathe chisels
Drill press and bits
grinder
table saw (Shopsmith)
portable saw (Skilsaw)
Hammers
axes
handsaws
wood chisels
pliers (all sizes and types)
Wood stove
firewood
etc.

Face it people, it is a dangerous world out there! It is YOUR job to teach your children how to cope with and/or avoid the dangers, whether it is a hot stove or a knife or an electrical outlet or a strange person or a gun.
My house, garage, and shop are NOT child proof! It is YOUR job to housebreak YOUR children! TEACH them to leave things alone!

As for the "fake gun shop", did they follow ALL the laws? Did they even KNOW all the laws? Most of the "gun control" advocates that I have known don't have any idea of the laws licensed gun dealers have to comply with!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Yes, I saw that video.

Loved when they showed the picture of the 9mm submachine gun (the Uzi) close up and then the Uzi on the wall behind him (don't know if they were the same ones).

Not counting the licensing and such, does one know what a submachine gun Uzi ought to cost them? Say around $14000.

Assuming that the Uzi on the wall behind him was not a submachine gun, then that would be a short barrel rifle (SBR) which again requires special permission to have.

To me, these people if they did sell those guns are "snake oil" salesmen......and it is indeed a case of "Let the Buyer Beware" ESPECIALLY when one considers the consequences of having such guns without the clearances.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
If those guns did require a tax stamp, were the appropriate forms completed and clearance given to travel with them? I think it would be somewhat refreshing for the BATFE to investigate any illegal acts they may have committed and charge them appropriately. Let these people see first-hand how weak our existing gun laws really are....or aren't.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times
One really ironic thing about the stunt is their choice of the main actor to work in the fake gun store. He's most famous for voicing one of the protagonists of Grand Theft Auto 5, an ultra-violent game filled with guns. Compare the message of the staged video to his picture with underage fans of the game below:

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-25-2015 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted material

Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Maybe PETA should open a butcher shop and when someone comes in and says, "Hi, I'd like one pound porterhouse and a roasting chicken, please.", The butcher can reply, "Sure. This was Alfred," as he hands over the steak, "and here is Stephanie the chicken, all trussed up neatly for you. MURDERER!"

Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Maybe PETA should open a butcher shop and when someone comes in and says, "Hi, I'd like one pound porterhouse and a roasting chicken, please.", The butcher can reply, "Sure. This was Alfred," as he hands over the steak, "and here is Stephanie the chicken, all trussed up neatly for you. MURDERER!"
Right. I'm pretty liberal, and for these causes, but I can't stand these activist organizations.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Shame someone didn't buy a gun...and then rob them....shoot the owner because he was unarmed, and run away.....you know, to get a point across and all.....might make the libs have a thought and a new perspective....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates