Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 AM

83 posts, read 75,333 times

Advertisements

Last week, I, my boyfriend and our two friends (a male gay couple) went out for a drink in a low-key bar. Sitting across from us was a group of four men. After our friends shared a kiss and after my partner took my hand, the men sitting across from us they gave us the stink eye. It went on for half an hour. They would also say offensive things quietly - just loud enough so we got the gist. We ignored them as we talked among ourselves, but eventually my boyfriend got tired of the dirty glares and approached them.
When he asked whether they had a problem, they proceeded to insult us. They went on a homophobic rant against our gay friends and said my relationship with my boyfriend wasn't right (I'm white, he's black). Eventually we left the place and found another - we figured there was no point in getting into a slinging match with those men.
This isn't the first time I and my partner or our gay friends, have experienced something similar to this in public. We once got a one minute stink eye from a theme park ride operator!! My question is, why do people poke their noses in the business of others? The business of people they don't know nor will ever know?
My father (who I am estranged from) is a hardcore racist and he's also staunchly against gays. But not even he would confront a gay person or an interracial couple he doesn't know, on their choice of partner. If he sees them on the street he just keeps walking and doesn't do or say anything.

Last edited by aperture priority; 03-27-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM

24,650 posts, read 17,388,179 times
This post might do better in the relationship section.

People are nosey and many think they are so much better than anyone else.
Sometimes I find myself staring at interesting people or couples. I wonder what their life is like, what brought them to this point and what the future may hold for them. I seldom judge anyone unless it appears they are involved in self destructive behaviour such as stinking of booze or cigarettes.
Last week I was at the registry of motor vehicles and this young woman walked in and sat down next to her boyfriend. At one time she must have been a knock out but both of them looked like they were strung out on heroine. I sort of judged them and thought how stupid they must be. Yes not good to think like that but it is human nature.
In your case many people probably wonder what brought you and your boyfriend together and what your life is like. There are a lot of ignorant people out there that have a hard time with your situation and don't understand gay people.
I say so what. As long as people love each other and are good to each other what is wrong with that?

People will always have their own opinions, some make them known like the jerks in the bar. We are all voyeurs of sorts, that is why reality shows are so popular.
Sadly with all the strides made in America and even with the setbacks regardign race relations you need a tough skin to get on.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 AM

83 posts, read 75,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This post might do better in the relationship section.

People are nosey and many think they are so much better than anyone else.
Sometimes I find myself staring at interesting people or couples. I wonder what their life is like, what brought them to this point and what the future may hold for them. I seldom judge anyone unless it appears they are involved in self destructive behaviour such as stinking of booze or cigarettes.
Last week I was at the registry of motor vehicles and this young woman walked in and sat down next to her boyfriend. At one time she must have been a knock out but both of them looked like they were strung out on heroine. I sort of judged them and thought how stupid they must be. Yes not good to think like that but it is human nature.
In your case many people probably wonder what brought you and your boyfriend together and what your life is like. There are a lot of ignorant people out there that have a hard time with your situation and don't understand gay people.
I say so what. As long as people love each other and are good to each other what is wrong with that?

People will always have their own opinions, some make them known like the jerks in the bar. We are all voyeurs of sorts, that is why reality shows are so popular.
Sadly with all the strides made in America and even with the setbacks regardign race relations you need a tough skin to get on.
I actually live in England. My area is pretty tolerant but as you said, people have their opinions and some make them known.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,729,417 times
This is why soap operas are so successful, there are many losers out there with 'no lives" so they need to live vicariously thru others. I know personally that i try and stay out of others business as much as possible, i dont ask questions as i don't want people asking me questions. I've actually weeded out friends from many years ago who were too "nosy". Anyone who seemed to ask personal questions too often, just got ignored by me and never contacted again...the people who remain my friends are the ones who mind their own business.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 PM

20,133 posts, read 16,225,762 times
Not a great debate.

Thread closed

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates