Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

Like lets say the government likes to take over some or most things that was made for the citizens and they like to take it over and government mandate it when the government have no sense at all and thinks their protecting the people when the Gment is NOT. Why don't the Gment keep their noses out of trying to control society trying to protect society when their not. To me it's like those people in those Gment offices that doesn't like something and espect the U.S. Citizens not to like it because they don't see it fit, especially when they think that it offends them when it may not offend the other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." ~ Ronald Reagan

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Government is good at intent, but absolutely horrible at execution.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Like lets say the government likes to take over some or most things that was made for the citizens and they like to take it over and government mandate it when the government have no sense at all and thinks their protecting the people when the Gment is NOT. Why don't the Gment keep their noses out of trying to control society trying to protect society when their not. To me it's like those people in those Gment offices that doesn't like something and espect the U.S. Citizens not to like it because they don't see it fit, especially when they think that it offends them when it may not offend the other person.
.....put the pipe down and slowly back away...

Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Government is good at intent, but absolutely horrible at execution.

I don't agree.

Yes, they are horrible at execution, bu I don't even think government is good at intent.

Government intent is to tell us how to live our lives and I do not agree with that regardless of how good they are.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't agree.

Yes, they are horrible at execution, bu I don't even think government is good at intent.

Government intent is to tell us how to live our lives and I do not agree with that regardless of how good they are.
We are definitely in agreement. I think the government in theory has the best interest of the people in mind. But the philosophy that government is the answer is troubling to me. When government tries to do something, it hardly ever is successful by any logical benchmark ($$).

Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't agree.

I agree with you 110%. They think what is right for them is right for everyone.

What right do they have telling us how to live our lives, what to eat, who to sleep with, what we can and can not drink of smoke or whatever.

Of course we need laws, we need government employees to help enforce them, we need some controls, but 50% or more of the laws on the books are unnecessary. If I want to eat nothing but fat, add salt to everything, sit on my big fat A## all my waking hours, my business. Don't play the silly game, it costs us money for my health care. No it doesn't I will probably die young, so I will save the tax payers money. If I want to smoke pot (which I certainly do not) and I am not harming anyone, who has the right to tell me I can't. If I want to carry a gun, that is my business: as we know, guns don't kill, criminals do. There should be laws to protect us from harming others: drunk driving, speeding, murder, etc. The federal government should be able to decide what is right and wrong when it comes to civil rights, when our country is in danger, etc. That is the end of their control in my opinion.

Nita

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Why don't the Gment keep their noses out of trying to control society trying to protect society when their not.
Society and government are not separate entities, they are one and the same. Be it the Congress, the tribal council or two parents in a house full of kids, each is the govern body that their respective societies have erected to do precisely what you condemn if for doing.

Generally, government is a reactive body, it only acts when some portion of the society demands that it do so.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
When "government" helps someone, they are hurting someone else to do it.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When "government" helps someone, they are hurting someone else to do it.
You can say that about any social organization, life is always going to be a cost benefit analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies