Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You don't know that. Just because something doesn't react like humans doesn't mean they don't feel. They might be laughing at you, lol. Just because we think we're so smart doesn't mean we actually are. And believe me, as stupid as humans have become, there's got to be something out there more intelligent than us.

As for taking what you need, I would never, ever not take a doggie bag if I can't finish my meal. And I take it for me, not the doggie. I don't like any kind of wasteful action, and more so with food than other things. Not to mention a lot of food is better the second day, anyway.
Yes, I do know they aren't laughing at me. Reacting with laughter requires a complex set of central nervous system functions. There is a lot we don't know, but plants don't have brains, they don't have nerves, they don't have ears, they don't have eyes, they don't have noses. We cannot attribute the trappings of higher life forms to plants because they do not have them. There are modes of "communication" that are involuntary, simple. Plants are not capable of human behavior. They aren't capable of otter behavior. They are not capable of python behavior. You want to complicate your life thinking they do? Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You don't know that. Just because something doesn't react like humans doesn't mean they don't feel. They might be laughing at you, lol. Just because we think we're so smart doesn't mean we actually are. And believe me, as stupid as humans have become, there's got to be something out there more intelligent than us.

As for taking what you need, I would never, ever not take a doggie bag if I can't finish my meal. And I take it for me, not the doggie. I don't like any kind of wasteful action, and more so with food than other things. Not to mention a lot of food is better the second day, anyway.
We humans are a pretty impressed with ourselves....lol. We have a lot of self-importance and a very healthy ego.

We're make the rules, and not surprisingly we think humans are the most important thing on this planet....or in the universe for that matter. Perhaps some day we're realize that we're only one form of life on this planet. Perhaps part of maturity is realizing that we fit into a larger whole. Perhaps realizing that without the "larger whole", we're doomed to a miserable and painful failure in our future. We may be important....but equally so is everything else.

Scientists are always talking about carbon (I think it's carbon anyway) being necessary for life. I've always thought, who says carbon is necessary for life ? Do we really think we're so important and "ground breaking" a creation that we can't imagine that there may be life forms that don't in any way, shape or form resemble us in chemical make up or building blocks of life ? Seriously....

Contrary to what your parents perhaps told you little Johnny/Sally, you're not the most important thing on this planet, the sun doesn't rise and set based on your importance, and learning a little humility and how you fit into the "larger whole" should be your first order of business !

We had our 7 week old grand daughter over for an overnight last night.....to give her parents a well deserved evening/night/morning away from parental duties. She's a delight, but she does cry sometimes. Many times we're not absolutely sure what her "issues" are at the time.....because she cannot always communicate (certainly not verbally) what discomfort she is feeling. We are forced to make assumptions many times, as all parents of non-speaking infants do. We cannot possible know what someone/something else is feeling if they cannot communicate that to us. Assuming we always know what someone/something else is feeling when they are not able to communicate their experience to us seems kind of arrogant doesn't it ?

Last edited by jasper1372; 05-08-2016 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
It is hardly an exaggeration to say that the tip of the radicle thus endowed, and having the power of directing the movements of the adjoining parts, acts like the brain of one of the lower animals; the brain being seated within the anterior end of the body, receiving impressions from the sense organs, and directing the several movements.

It is hardly surprising to find genes in plants that are related to animal genes involved in the nervous system. Indeed, confirmation of this fact was one of the first really interesting results of the various genome projects. The reason why it isn’t surprising is that all life on the planet is united through common ancestry.

Do Plants Have Brains? | Natural History Magazine

If your having trouble eating plants & meat like we're supposed to then go eat McDonalds it's all fake food there. You might not live very long & you'll time from stomach but hey at least you can sleep at night!
When your not throwing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates