Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPlaya View Post
Solution - get your own motorcycle, and you too can split lanes.

No need to sit there in your car and stew about those other guys getting to the front while you are stuck in the back - that's really what this is about, right?
I'm not stupid enough to ride a motorcycle in traffic. I'd prefer everyone wait their turn as opposed to me getting a bike and turning into a "tool". I'd rather be a nice person and wait in line like you're supposed to.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Thanks for the info, i didn't realize Calif was the only state that allows this, i just figured its how cyclists ride in all 50 states.
We travel quite frequently in our motorhome and have seen lane splitting done in just about every state, especially traveling from upstate NY to FL. In the FL Keys, on the 7 mile bridge, these idiots surf, going back and forth into the oncoming lane. Sad to say, there are numerous fatalities of motorcyclists there.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
So, wouldn't it be safer if Motorcycle riders just waited in traffic like everyone else instead of weaving in between cars and making dangerous maneuvers?

I know the key is to make sure they are remaining safe so i don't get the idea that they are allowed to dodge and dart in between traffic as an improved safety measure.

Is it not safer if they just wait in the traffic line like everyone else?
AFAIK, CA is the only state where lane splitting is currently legal. It's generally safer for the riders, since it lets them get out of the mass of idiot cagers out there that are clueless about anyone else on the road.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
AFAIK, CA is the only state where lane splitting is currently legal. It's generally safer for the riders, since it lets them get out of the mass of idiot cagers out there that are clueless about anyone else on the road.
Thanks for the info, i guess maybe the reason bike riders dont sit behind cars is because a car can come up behind them and ram them. So, the bike always has to be "moving forward".

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Lane splitting started because motorcycle engines used to be mostly of the air cooled type and sitting behind traffic caused problems. Even today, a lot of bike are air cooled. Usually it isn't a problem but after more than a few minutes on a hot day it can be.

What it comes down to is this, if everybody is watching and paying attention, then hitting other people, be they on a motorcycle or in a car becomes less of a problem.

Making something illegal hasn't worked for texting car drivers has it?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Lane splitting started because motorcycle engines used to be mostly of the air cooled type and sitting behind traffic caused problems. Even today, a lot of bike are air cooled. Usually it isn't a problem but after more than a few minutes on a hot day it can be.

What it comes down to is this, if everybody is watching and paying attention, then hitting other people, be they on a motorcycle or in a car becomes less of a problem.

Making something illegal hasn't worked for texting car drivers has it?
You could still be paying attention and a motorcycle comes out of nowhere and zips right past you in your blind spot, there's no way you can always see that happen, sometimes these guys could be nowhere in any field of your vision and then a second later, they're right on top of you.....its a lot to ask for even the best drivers with the best reflexes who are completely paying attention to see every bike rider 100 pct of the time.

I do agree with your premise though, most of the accidents are caused by idiots who are in la la land mentally.

I think the philosophy is why should these guys get to skip over the traffic while everyone else waits. That's the big debate i'm thinking.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think the overheating while stopped in traffic was a major reason for allowing lane splitting in stopped or very slow moving traffic. Newer liquid cooled motorcycle engines have a cooling fan the can let the bike sit still in traffic. However, the rider is still air cooled and subject to overheating.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
I am a rider and a MC commuter. I ride an Electraglide Ultra and would not consider lane lane splitting.

My skills are good enough, even with the size of my bike, but that is not the same statement as all other commuters (car driver's) skills are good enough. Even if it is legal, and I did everything right, if a car takes me out, while I am legally cleared, I am also likely legally dead!

Riding up a shoulder during stopped traffic? I have done that on a few occasion - air cooled engines need flowing air to cool them...

Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM

96 posts, read 75,030 times
Quote:
You could still be paying attention and a motorcycle comes out of nowhere and zips right past you in your blind spot, there's no way you can always see that happen, sometimes these guys could be nowhere in any field of your vision and then a second later, they're right on top of you.....its a lot to ask for even the best drivers with the best reflexes who are completely paying attention to see every bike rider 100 pct of the time.

I do agree with your premise though, most of the accidents are caused by idiots who are in la la land mentally.

I think the philosophy is why should these guys get to skip over the traffic while everyone else waits. That's the big debate i'm thinking.
The less time you spend worrying about what other people are doing with their lives, the more time you will free up to actually enjoy your own life. If you only knew how little anyone worries about your personal choices - don't become a busybody. Before you know it, people around you will tire from listening to you and disappear into the woodwork.

Seriously.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPlaya View Post
The less time you spend worrying about what other people are doing with their lives, the more time you will free up to actually enjoy your own life. If you only knew how little anyone worries about your personal choices - don't become a busybody. Before you know it, people around you will tire from listening to you and disappear into the woodwork.

Seriously.
Society would be a "better place" if people weren't always trying to "Get over" on other people. What's so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates