Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Thanks for the info, i guess maybe the reason bike riders dont sit behind cars is because a car can come up behind them and ram them. So, the bike always has to be "moving forward".
This, I much perfer splitting lanes to getting rear ended. People don´'t see motorcycles.
I was rammed by an older lady sitting in traffic waiting to exit the freeway. I had been splitting lanes but I had just pulled into the right lane to exit. She did not see me just the car in front. I got lucky, was lying on the freeway under the front bumper of her car and though my bike was totaled I was not too badly hurt,

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
This, I much perfer splitting lanes to getting rear ended. People don´'t see motorcycles.
I was rammed by an older lady sitting in traffic waiting to exit the freeway. I had been splitting lanes but I had just pulled into the right lane to exit. She did not see me just the car in front. I got lucky, was lying on the freeway under the front bumper of her car and though my bike was totaled I was not too badly hurt,
I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. There are all kinds of idiots allowed to drive these days. The number of people that turn in front of a bike with it's headlights on all day, and often with riders with hi-viz gear, is amazing. If you kill a rider because you "didn't see him", you still murdered him and should be charged with vehicular homicide, same as a drunk driver would. A drunk can sober up, but you can't fix stupid.

I ride a lot (Triumph Tiger XC) and never lane split. There are a number of reasons. First, traffic is rarely that bad here that I don't feel the need. I'm also just not comfortable getting that close to cars, nor do I want to give them a bad impression of riders. I'll make up for it in other ways. I don't worry much about passing slow traffic on a double yellow-my acceleration is quick enough that I'll be past them before there is any danger. And I'll regularly jump off the pavement and hit dirt roads or service roads next to what highway we do have. Love an ADV bike! It does freak people out a bit to be doing highway speeds and see a bike keeping with them on the dirt.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 PM

96 posts, read 75,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Society would be a "better place" if people weren't always trying to "Get over" on other people. What's so hard to understand?
Apparently, it seems hard for you to understand that you have no control over other people's behavior. But do continue to complain about it and believe that this is a great issue if it makes you feel empowered.

For my part, when I see a motorcycle in my mirrors, I make an effort to move over before I come to a full stop so they have plenty of clearance. I don't want them to scratch my side view mirror. YMMV.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:24 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
It is true, what could be a simple fender bender rear ender for a car could be devastating for a motorcyclist. I would rather risk getting hit from the side where I still have a chance to maneuver as opposed to slam into a car that slams its brakes in front of me or get rear ended.

I believe lane splitting and filtering IS SAFER for motorcyclists when done at a reasonable speed, therefor I am pro lane splitting in large metro areas with high traffic jams.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
I wouldn't split lanes even if it was legal. I am not anyone special that does not have to wait their turn. Being afraid of being rammed in the rear is a lame excuse, since you have more of a chance at that stopping for a light or Stop sign, instead of sitting in Traffic. I got rammed in the back end driving my Suburban. I guess people don't see them either? Yea, I had my air cooled 76 Super Glide bike overheat in traffic a couple of times, and had to pull off an wait a while, but didn't go zipping through traffic. Doing that is just as bad as "line Jumping" at an event or a Food line, instead of waiting your turn. Its rude and reflects "Punk" manners.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:

If you hadn't been splitting lanes, and had not made that quick turn to the right to exit, you likely would NOT have been rear ended.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
We just got back from St Maartin. Motorcycles take their half out of the middle of the road. Go blowing past you literally out of nowhere. Makes idiots here in the US look sedate.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
I don't care. They can do what they want. Why would I care? It's not dangerous for me.

People are just jealous they have to wait while others slip through. You're not fooling anyone.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
If you hadn't been splitting lanes, and had not made that quick turn to the right to exit, you likely would NOT have been rear ended.
Not a quick turn at all, I merged to the right and was stopped in traffic.
Anyways splitting lanes is legal and I still find it safer.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We just got back from St Maartin. Motorcycles take their half out of the middle of the road. Go blowing past you literally out of nowhere. Makes idiots here in the US look sedate.
You mean practically, literally is the most misused word in the USA (I blame reality TV) and I intend to point it out everytime I see it here on CD.

People think lane splitting is "so dangerous" yet many states that ban it allow bikers to ride without helmets, that makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates