Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,189,452 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about expats as there will always be a few of them around. I refer instead to white citizens of African nations who are descendants of people that have been living in those countries for generations. Their populations have been declining since the beginning of decolonization. I was just wondering what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,248,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I am not talking about expats as there will always be a few of them around. I refer instead to white citizens of African nations who are descendants of people that have been living in those countries for generations. Their populations have been declining since the beginning of decolonization. I was just wondering what others think.
It depends on what you mean.

In many cases (Angola), they are "declining" only because they married locals and their descendents are black.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 PM

428 posts, read 346,340 times
You are mostly referring to South Africa, no?

I'd say that they are doomed. At some point it's going to get ugly, and not just at the retail crime level.

I always wonder what would have happened in Rhodesia if the former government and whites had known how it was all going to turn out. Would there have been a civil war anyway? Everyone pile out of the country at once? Saw off a piece of the country that was highly segregated and defend just it? It's an interesting thought.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
You are mostly referring to South Africa, no?
Not necessarily. Clearly South Africa has more possible futures for its white population than say Senegal because of the vast difference win population size, but at the same time a vey small population could still have a viable future. The overseas Chinese population throughout Southeast Asia has existed like this for many generations,

Old 04-09-2015, 10:09 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,248,422 times
Some portuguese left and some didn't, and their descendents are still there.

Answer this question though:

Let's say you marry, are fruitful and multiply, have 5 children and 20 grandchildren, except those grandchildren are not white...did your numbers decline?

You could spin that either way.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-09-2015 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Some portuguese left and some didn't, and their descendents are still there.

Answer this question though:

Let's say you marry, are fruitful and multiply, have 5 children and 20 grandchildren, except those grandchildren are not white...did your numbers decline?

You could spin that either way.
At some point you become something different though do you not? Maybe not in your grandchildren's time as they may well know you as a real person who was alive, but their children and grandchildren will have much less of a connection to your identity.m To give a real world example from Africa, we can through genetic and some cultural evidence clearly identify Africans descended from sailors in Zheng He's fleet, but I imagine very few people within this group or outside of it would consider them Chinese.

Still you do have a good point.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 AM

130 posts, read 164,748 times
Unless there is a genocide (which is not unlikely, quite honestly) there will always be a prescense of Afrikaans people in South Africa. The vast majority of South Africans who leave are of British descent and are of relatively recent ancestry (post world war one). Afrikaans people have a very special connection to Africa having been there for 5 centuries and having developed a unique language and culture. Afrikaners tend to be very religious and have lots of children/marry young, and they basically never marry out of the white race. I went on a mission with my church to an Afrikaans squatter camp in the Gauteng outside of Pretoria and how they are treated, and how they live brings tears to my eyes. Discrimination, rape, murder, land confiscations (both official and unofficial) are commonplace. Apartheid was bad, yes but your average poor Afrikaans farmer was not a perpetrator of Apartheid and the score settling is disgusting. Did you know that if their business gets too large, they have to sell 51% of it to an African? Did you know that universities are bound to accept no more than 2% white students, so they take illiterate tribes people over UK educated whites simply because they are white?

The only way whites won't have a future in South Africa is if they are systematically killed off, which is increasingly likely with the rise of Afrocentric fascist movements in South Africa (Julius Malema's Economic Freedom Fighters), and IMO the only solution is the Volkstaat/Boerestaat which would be an autonomous Afrikaans cultural community within South Africa. Many Afrikaans activists are trying for this and have set up privately owned farming communes (Orania in Nordkaap is one) to preserve their heritage. They are using the Israeli kibbutz model and hopefully they will hold out. Please if you can google "Sunette Bridges" and read about the work she is doing setting up a commune called Kleinvallei and donate if you can, like every other tribe or people, they deserve to preserve their cultural heritage. The only people indigenous to that land are the Khoisan, the vast majority of blacks in South Africa are also of settler heritage because the Xhosa and Zulu migrated after European settlement in the southern tip of Africa.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,234,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Unless there is a genocide (which is not unlikely, quite honestly) there will always be a prescense of Afrikaans people in South Africa. The vast majority of South Africans who leave are of British descent and are of relatively recent ancestry (post world war one). Afrikaans people have a very special connection to Africa having been there for 5 centuries and having developed a unique language and culture. Afrikaners tend to be very religious and have lots of children/marry young, and they basically never marry out of the white race. I went on a mission with my church to an Afrikaans squatter camp in the Gauteng outside of Pretoria and how they are treated, and how they live brings tears to my eyes. Discrimination, rape, murder, land confiscations (both official and unofficial) are commonplace. Apartheid was bad, yes but your average poor Afrikaans farmer was not a perpetrator of Apartheid and the score settling is disgusting. Did you know that if their business gets too large, they have to sell 51% of it to an African? Did you know that universities are bound to accept no more than 2% white students, so they take illiterate tribes people over UK educated whites simply because they are white?

The only way whites won't have a future in South Africa is if they are systematically killed off, which is increasingly likely with the rise of Afrocentric fascist movements in South Africa (Julius Malema's Economic Freedom Fighters), and IMO the only solution is the Volkstaat/Boerestaat which would be an autonomous Afrikaans cultural community within South Africa. Many Afrikaans activists are trying for this and have set up privately owned farming communes (Orania in Nordkaap is one) to preserve their heritage. They are using the Israeli kibbutz model and hopefully they will hold out. Please if you can google "Sunette Bridges" and read about the work she is doing setting up a commune called Kleinvallei and donate if you can, like every other tribe or people, they deserve to preserve their cultural heritage. The only people indigenous to that land are the Khoisan, the vast majority of blacks in South Africa are also of settler heritage because the Xhosa and Zulu migrated after European settlement in the southern tip of Africa.
You reap what you sow. The Afrikaaners exploited and oppressed Africans for hundreds of years, and the culture they seek to preserve is based on racism. Spare me the "woe, the poor Afrikaaners" sob story.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 AM

130 posts, read 164,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You reap what you sow. The Afrikaaners exploited and oppressed Africans for hundreds of years, and the culture they seek to preserve is based on racism. Spare me the "woe, the poor Afrikaaners" sob story.
No, the national party exploited Africans..their culture is based on Calvinism and agrarianism. Are you suggesting that "score settling" is appropriate? Isn't that the opposite of what Nelson Mandela preached? If you forget, 65% of whites voted to end apartheid in 1992...Afrikaaners are 60% of ZA whites so apparently they believed in equality too.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-10-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 AM

16,584 posts, read 10,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I don't know enough about the Afrikaners to have an opinion about whether or not they are "at fault" for South Africa's woes. Given that country's racist past, one could make a case that its white people deserve the payback they're getting. But what about Zimbabwe? Did the white people there oppress that country's black majority? (Not a rhetorical question; I genuinely don't know enough to be able to answer that.) Those are the only two sub-Saharan African countries, of which I am aware, in which exists more than a handful of white people. Are there others?

Regardless of who did what to whom, what matters now is today's reality. And with Zimbabwe's whites being run off their land, and South Africa's whites being increasingly victimized by the rising tide of lawlessness, I honestly don't think that white people, as a group, have a future in sub-Saharan Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates