Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Minorities have more kids because they are poorer. There is an indirect correlation between income and birth rates. The poorer a population, the more children they have.
OY, you have reversed the cause and the effect.

As the number of children in a household increases, the amount of income required to support the household also increases. Thus, for a given income level, a household with more children will enjoy a lower standard of living than a household with the same income level but fewer children.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most Hispanics I know also have small families.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
In my area, I never see Hispanic mothers with lots of kids.

I don't know where y'all are from, but down here in South Texas, there are LOTS of Hispanic families with 4, 5, 6 or more children.

Within the Hispanic community here, there is a strong expectation that each person will have multiple children, usually when they are very young adults (and thus, are not yet financially established). The troubling aspect is that I've never heard an older member of the Hispanic community mention that having children should be predicated upon the ability to support the child(ren).

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I don't know where y'all are from, but down here in South Texas, there are LOTS of Hispanic families with 4, 5, 6 or more children.

Within the Hispanic community here, there is a strong expectation that each person will have multiple children, usually when they are very young adults (and thus, are not yet financially established). The troubling aspect is that I've never heard an older member of the Hispanic community mention that having children should be predicated upon the ability to support the child(ren).
I was thinking the same thing. We live in Houston and if I just walk into the grocery store most Hispanic mothers I see have 4, 5 or even more children vs a white mother who is with two.
The Hispanics waiting at the bus stop have 5 children in tow and in the neighborhood we rent in they are 10+ people living in small homes.

I always feel for the kids of the above families who have 6 siblings and they are in shoes with holes with them, dirty clothes and the mom is using a SNAP card to buy chips and ramen.
Why punish the kid by not meeting their basic needs just to pull more government assistance??

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
It has nothing whatsoever to do with race. It has to do with culture, upbringing and religion. Many Latinas who start having babies young and don't stop are Catholic. In the Midwest, you'll likely find the same story with white Catholic girls. Or in Ireland. Or Africa. Or Europe. The second factor here in America may be lack of funds and the government incentivizing births of new citizens (through SNAP, WIC, tax breaks, etc.)

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It has nothing whatsoever to do with race. It has to do with culture, upbringing and religion. Many Latinas who start having babies young and don't stop are Catholic. In the Midwest, you'll likely find the same story with white Catholic girls. Or in Ireland. Or Africa. Or Europe. The second factor here in America may be lack of funds and the government incentivizing births of new citizens (through SNAP, WIC, tax breaks, etc.)
This is true to some extent.

Most of the Americanized Catholics stopped this in the 1960s and the onset of birth control. I think a lot of recent immigrants are coming out of a more strict, and outdated form of the church brought over from their old country.

I am Gen X, and my parents' generation coming out of the 60's showed a sharp decline in children. Their Catholic parents however, coming out of WW2 and the baby boom generation had boatloads of children. My Catholic grandparents had 6 living children in the 1940's, my step mother's Catholic family down the street had 11 children in the 1940's. A lot of did have to do with lack of birth control available at that time to everyone, but it did seem that the Catholic families in town had families sometimes 2x the size of other families. Out of all of their children who married around the 60's and 70's almost every one of them had no more than 2 or 3 kids at most, despite being raised in very large Catholic families... The Pill was now commonplace and views regarding the church changed.

In recent immigrant populations, lack of health care and birth control options, cultural family traditions, and coming out of a more traditional and less progressive religious background = more kids.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
It is kinda comical that many of you figure that most minorities sit in their living rooms plotting ways to maximize government subsidies. They probably have prepared an Excel spreadsheet to determine the "sweet spot" for the optimal number of kids to have. Or maybe there's an app for that . . .

I don't know about you, but you can't pay me enough de minimis governmental assistance to wake up at 3 a.m. for diaper changes for the next 15 years.

Mick

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
i knew this one black guy that at 25 he had 27 children by 17 different ladies. his reply, it wasn't his problem.. I thought it was a joke till the welfare people started showing up every payday and taking 100% of his paycheck. judge say his living wasn't his problem.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
DNA1 wonders:
"Why do minorities have more babies than whites?"

Two reasons;

1. Government pays them more to have more children and government provides more of those children with more free stuff.

2. Minorities often have religious beliefs that lead to more children than progressives have.
I posted data that is proving that minority birth rates are falling, a few posts back.

1) Minority birth rates (and birth rates over all) were higher when that "government subsidy" that you are talking about didn't exist.

2) While minorities tend to be more religious, from what I've seen in some churches, there are very few families having 5 or 6 kids.

A better question is this. Why is the underclass segment (of any race) having a higher birth rate?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It is kinda comical that many of you figure that most minorities sit in their living rooms plotting ways to maximize government subsidies. They probably have prepared an Excel spreadsheet to determine the "sweet spot" for the optimal number of kids to have. Or maybe there's an app for that . . .

I don't know about you, but you can't pay me enough de minimis governmental assistance to wake up at 3 a.m. for diaper changes for the next 15 years.

Mick
You couldn't pay me enough to do that either. I work and I'm slated to make around 40K this year. That is far more than any government subsidy could provide.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 AM

951 posts, read 1,451,195 times
Facts

1) Fastest growing minority is muslims in America

Articles: The Muslim population of America is expanding at warp speed

2) The lower the education level the more people have babies. This is obvious because they don't plan their kids future and education and they don't use protection. Since they are uneducated, they seem to relate having babies god given. Since most uneducated people racist and/or religious they think abortion is a crime and that religion prohibits abortion so they make more babies than they can afford.

-------------------

The more affluent you are the more things you can buy and travel so you need more time

These rich and educated people know many more things to enjoy in life than raise a kid. but a poor uneducated person only acts primitively and with instincts one of which is motherhood. Also, most minorities see US citizenship as a perk or a gift so uneducated people have more kids than educated in the US.

What scares me is that the fastest growing minority is muslims in the US. Their ideology unfortunately does not run parallel with the foundations of USA. And there is the potential of home grown terrorism with that but it is a different subject.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-13-2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates