Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM

67 posts, read 88,806 times

Advertisements

I do not get it. Whites and Asians are the highest educated and make more money than Blacks and Hispanics and yet it is the poor minorities who have a a bunch of babies. Whites and Asians should realistically be having the most babies since they are better equipped at caring for their children economically. Have we created a system that encourages and rewards minorities to have many babies? If we stopped paying the hospital bills of those who can't afford children without government help would that help lower their birth rates? It really makes no sense why our tax dollars have to fund those who should not be having children and it really makes me angry. The media is constantly talking about the "browning" of America but in the end we are subsidizing it?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Where are your figures to prove what you are posting? Everything I have read shows that Muslims, mostly white Muslims, have the fastest growing population in the world. Are you just trying to stir up something or do you have facts? Sounds like the old stories that most of the people on welfare are black, when actually the majority are white.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
I do not get it. Whites and Asians are the highest educated and make more money than Blacks and Hispanics and yet it is the poor minorities who have a a bunch of babies. Whites and Asians should realistically be having the most babies since they are better equipped at caring for their children economically. Have we created a system that encourages and rewards minorities to have many babies? If we stopped paying the hospital bills of those who can't afford children without government help would that help lower their birth rates? It really makes no sense why our tax dollars have to fund those who should not be having children and it really makes me angry. The media is constantly talking about the "browning" of America but in the end we are subsidizing it?
Have no idea where you are getting such a notion since you didn't post a link to even confirm this.. This may help..note graph~~included with this link..last I heard Pew was a pretty reliable view point>>
The black birth rate converges on the white rate | Economic Policy Institute
snip~
Among the U.S.-born, black women had the strongest birth-rate decline from 1990 to 2010, according to a recent report from Pew Social and Demographic Trends. The birth rate—the number of births per 1,000 women aged 15 to 44—declined 29 percent for blacks, 25 percent for Asians, 21 percent for Hispanics, but only 5 percent for whites.

~~~ Just maybe allowing the ability to buy Birth Control for poor and disenfranchised people without all the dogma blaming attached..might help controls of birthrates..and NOT just for those who can afford it!!

ETA~~ Found a more UTD finding~~

http://www.childtrends.org/?indicato...nd-birth-rates

snip~~

In 2013, fertility rates were highest for Hispanic women (73 per thousand), followed by rates for black (65 per thousand), Asian (59 per thousand), white (59 per thousand), and American Indian women (46 per thousand). (Figure 3) Between 2010 and 2013, rates fell for all of these groups, except for whites and Asians (which remained steady), but declines were greatest among Hispanics.(Appendix 1) Among teens (ages 15-19), declines were seen in all groups, and for Hispanic teens the birth rate reached an historic low.[8]

Last edited by Lyndarn; 04-10-2015 at 11:06 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 40,280 times
I believe this is because large families are valued more in hispanic and black culture. It is not uncommon for generations of the family to live together. Having a lot of children even if you can not afford them was something you did. Families hope that some of these children will one day make it and take care of the family. My grandparents were not poor but had twelve children my other set I could not even tell you how many children altogether but that is their culture.

I am half Nigerian and I can tell you that the fact that I am unmarried without children is looked down upon by my Nigerian relatives. My African American relatives mainly do not care that I chose to focus on my career and education.This is changing today, as the birth rate is declining in the black community. This can be seen in many NY school districts where once black dominated schools are now heavily Hispanic. Most of the women on my American side of the family only have 1-4 children where in the previous generations they had 2-6 children.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:20 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Birth rates have been dropping among all groups lately. Consider this. Black and Hispanic birth rates were much higher when both groups were poorer and when it wasn't being "subsidized" by tax dollars.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
it is economics.

Money = Choice

If you are poor than you may be more prone to not look to the future, college, career, the "American Dream". Poverty is a hard situation that is really hard to get out of and often the examples young people have to go by are their parents and older kids hanging out. Drinking, Drugs, No Future, Lack of Prospects all leads to youngsters getting into trouble.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Something not yet mentioned is one part of high fertility rate is the fear that all your children won't live to adulthood. Affluent Whites and Asians have 99% confidence that if they only have one or two kids they will live to adulthood. Death prior to adulthood is still very common in the third world so people have lots of kids so a couple could die but they still have several left. Just because someone moves to the USA that doesn't mean the left their notion that large families are important behind. Within a generation or two they usually mirror the national average

Another thing... fertility rates in the USA among all race groups is very close, from around 1.8 to 2.3. Half a child difference among all groups. What is different is Whites have had a low fertility rate for a generation so the share of White women in child bearing age is much smaller than for Black and especially Hispanic women.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:27 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Birth rates have been dropping among (most) groups lately.
Among the jobholders and self sufficient within the several groups.

The lowest quintile ... has maintained a too high birthrate.
Especially so as they make up for the reductions of the rest.

This all still ignores the raw numbers which are NOT healthy.
Live Births and Birth Rates, by Year

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-12-2015 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Removed colored font

Old 04-11-2015, 03:27 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,637 times
To make up for lack of opportunities, systematic discrimination, and to get more subsidies.

Having numerous kids eases that burden. Especially later in life.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
In KS, we have a lot of low income people that are white and having a lot of kids, mainly single mothers. Three children with different fathers, white ones, would not be unusual. We have very few blacks and the ones I know only had a couple of kids. Now, we have illegals and those anchor babies are $$$$$ and a little added extra security.

I was looking for stats and entered KS but you can enter any state and it has a lot of info: NCCP | Kansas: Demographics of Poor Children

What I have seen is that it is not so much race in most cases as socio-economic class. I saw girls getting pregnant, white ones, because then they moved out and were given low income housing along with other benefits for themselves and their baby and then the boyfriend started staying over and there was another baby.............. A lot are careless, drunk and/or drugged up and............ I saw a lot of really sad situations in one particular town.

My adult son with developmental disabilities has Medicaid services. We get the booklet reading from that they pay for family planning services to include "Birth control supplies" and "Education and advice from trained personnel to help you make choices." And, isn't everyone supposed to get health insurance now? Of course, some people oppose birth control and that is fine as long as they are paying to the raise the kids and not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.