Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Why shouldn't people speak out about their political beliefs just because of their job? Actors and musicians have as much right to airing their politics as does a plumber, accountant, fast food worker, waiter etc. It's generally conservatives who have to complain when someone doesn't follow 100% of their beliefs. I and other liberals will still watch stuff with Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, Drew Carey, Adam Sandler and Parker and Stone since their politics are irrelevant to their ability to entertain. Only one I avoid is Ted Nugent because he's a bigoted psychopath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One common put down I see a lot on this forum is political affiliation. For example how often do we see someone make a comment with 'liberal' meant as an insult thrown in for good measure?

Anyways it made me wonder if forum members let a celebrity's political views and affiliation affect their decision to 'support' them (watch movies they appear in, music they play, etc.).

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Whatever a celebrity's political view, that has no influence on me. If they act in a movie that is good, I'll watch it. If not, I won't.

Their opinions matter the least of all. First, they don't live on the same Planet with the rest of use, and don't have the every day worries normal folks do, on how to pay the bills and have enough left for Gas money and every day expenses. They matter not, at all.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't people speak out about their political beliefs just because of their job? Actors and musicians have as much right to airing their politics as does a plumber, accountant, fast food worker, waiter etc. It's generally conservatives who have to complain when someone doesn't follow 100% of their beliefs. I and other liberals will still watch stuff with Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, Drew Carey, Adam Sandler and Parker and Stone since their politics are irrelevant to their ability to entertain. Only one I avoid is Ted Nugent because he's a bigoted psychopath.
I watch Movies too, with all those folks starring in them, and could not care less what their political views are. I pay to see them act, not think. When they try to influence others, its not hard to see how screwed up they can be. I like Clint Eastwood, as an example, but his Political Views and actions are that of a nut case. Their reality is not our reality.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
No.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:05 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't people speak out about their political beliefs just because of their job? Actors and musicians have as much right to airing their politics as does a plumber, accountant, fast food worker, waiter etc.
By all means, if they want to make their political leanings known, have at it. I just think it's a poor business decision. They want to appeal to a broad audience don't they? If I were a singer, I'd want Democrats, Republicans, Concservatives, and Liberals alike to buy my albums. I wouldn't want to alienate any one group, because I want them all to give me their money.... All money is green, no matter if the hand it comes from is blue or red.

Look at what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They opened their mouths and criticized President Bush, and basically put an end to a promising career.
Quote:
It's generally conservatives who have to complain when someone doesn't follow 100% of their beliefs. I and other liberals will still watch stuff with Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood, Drew Carey, Adam Sandler and Parker and Stone since their politics are irrelevant to their ability to entertain.
As I said earlier on, I usually don't care where they stand politically either. It's when they start becoming known for their politics, and not just their talent, that I may think otherwise. I'm not going to support someone, or consume their products, if they're shilling for causes that I strongly oppose.
Quote:
Only one I avoid is Ted Nugent because he's a bigoted psychopath.
As someone who leans Conservative, I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
The only political view that matters to me is my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates