Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

One common put down I see a lot on this forum is political affiliation. For example how often do we see someone make a comment with 'liberal' meant as an insult thrown in for good measure?

Anyways it made me wonder if forum members let a celebrity's political views and affiliation affect their decision to 'support' them (watch movies they appear in, music they play, etc.).

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Whatever a celebrity's political view, that has no influence on me. If they act in a movie that is good, I'll watch it. If not, I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One common put down I see a lot on this forum is political affiliation. For example how often do we see someone make a comment with 'liberal' meant as an insult thrown in for good measure?

Anyways it made me wonder if forum members let a celebrity's political views and affiliation affect their decision to 'support' them (watch movies they appear in, music they play, etc.).

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Whatever a celebrity's political view, that has no influence on me. If they act in a movie that is good, I'll watch it. If not, I won't.
Not with me also. Sadly, a lot of people do get influenced by what famous people say, do, how they dress, what is their hairdo, etc.

As much as people claim commercials do not influence them, that is not true either. Companies or political parties would not spend a lot of money with commercials to influence people to buy their products whether it dresses, shirts, shoes, makeup, etc., if it did not work. The money they spend to get people to buy their stuff is worth it in their eyes.

Just look at how any first lady dresses and it is the new fashion. The one I remember the most is the Jackie Kennedy example. How women wanted to dress and look like Jackie.

How about Michael Phelps? Once people saw he shaved his body hair, men started to do the same.

Why do you think political candidates for the presidency select their running mate? They may pick a good looking guy to get the women's votes, or someone from a certain region of the country to get the votes from there, etc.

If you study human behavior, you would be amazed how easy it is to influence people to do a lot of things and to accept views they may not think they would agree with.

I used to disagree with some people call the general population "sheeple" but now I believe there is validity to that.

However, no one will accept that he or she goes for that stuff but stats say otherwise. I teach organizational behavior in a university and I have a lot of fun how people have so many ideas based on pure emotion based on commercials or some political figure. The sad part about it is that often I ask them to explain their views and they are so ignorant of their own views. Take care.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
I wouldn't boycott a celebrity for their political views unless they were dumping a butt load of money into a cause I vehemently oppose. I may wrinkle my nose at them if I discover they don't share my views, but I would not dislike them or stop being entertained by them.

Now there are certain companies that will NOT get my money. I'll go out of my way to shop or eat somewhere else before I'll give my money to a company who will use it negatively.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I typically don't give celebrity opinion about anything a second thought, but if someone is outspoken and offensive enough to stick in my memory, I simply toss them into the "do not like" pile.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:41 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Yes, it matters to me. I can only evaluate what I know though. So, of course, I like all kinds of celebrities and don't have a clue as to their political affiliation. If I do, and it is extremely against my own, I let the power of commerce work for me. This is the true American way!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM

465 posts, read 613,820 times
It only bothers me when a celebrity is critical or offensive to the opposing view. When they publicly make statements that are untrue or rude. They want us to spend money on them and we can give them the respect to have their own personal view but then turn around and make offensive remarks. That rubs me the wrong way.

Right now my favorite country singer is being lashed out against just because he happens to be on tour and opening for Tim McGraw. People are making assumptions about him just because they are on the same tour.
Even if he differed politically from me I would still see him. Now if he came out and said that if anyone who believes in x, y, and z hate children and are evil and I don't want them at my show, and I believe in x,y, and z then you can bet I would not want to contribute to his bank account.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Never. I enjoy Mel Gibson movies but wouldn't want him for a friend. The same with Alec Baldwin.

When I hear a celebrity in their 20's say something stupid I just blame it on limited life experience.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
A celebrity's political views matter the same to me as anyone else's.. Not at all.

I don't have to agree with them anymore than I have to agree with anyone else.. I can, and occasionally enjoy debating/arguing a point with someone here.. But, I don't mislead myself into believing that I will change someone's mind.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:23 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
It depends. If a celebrity/entertainment industry executive openly derides beliefs/causes/politicians I hold dearly, I'll go out of my way not to provide any financial support to those individuals, whether that means not buying movie tickets or not serving as a "viewer" for TV advertising purposes, among other measures. Note, I don't care if celebrities, etc., hold different political beliefs from me. Indeed, in a free society, such is to be celebrated, not punished, as far as I'm concerned. Rather, it's the open disrespect (and, note, this is ultimately disrespect of their fan-base) that I have a problem with. I'm tired of hearing conservatives, to name one example, being referred to as "dumb" or "stupid" by Hollywood elites. Well, if you think that way of me, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 PM

67 posts, read 88,728 times
If you care about a celebrity's political opinions than you are just ignorant. Who cares what they think? Think for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates