Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:29 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

I say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 PM

121 posts, read 101,645 times
Absolutely not.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
No. It's 2015.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times
I think it's really up to the man to decide if he wants to give up his seat. If it was a five-minute trip, sure it wouldn't be a hassle giving up your seat, but if you have an hour train/bus ride ahead of you after a grueling day of work, then I personally wouldn't be so quick to give up my seat unless the women had physical issues, was pregnant, etc.. However, in cases with able-bodied, non-pregnant women, I really don't think the woman should take the man up on the offer. The man was polite and made the offer, but at the end of the day, he did get to the seat first.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I think it's really up to the man to decide if he wants to give up his seat. If it was a five-minute trip, sure it wouldn't be a hassle giving up your seat, but if you have an hour train/bus ride ahead of you after a grueling day of work, then I personally wouldn't be so quick to give up my seat unless the women had physical issues, was pregnant, etc.. However, in cases with able-bodied, non-pregnant women, I really don't think the woman should take the man up on the offer. The man was polite and made the offer, but at the end of the day, he did get to the seat first.
Why? The man offered, if he wasn't sincere he shouldn't have. Or is that just show to make him feel like a gentleman? In some cultures refusing a polite offer is seen as disrespectful or worse.
I don't feel there is any need for a man to give a seat or any of this stuff to an able bodied woman just because she is female but do we really want to live in a society were we do not show common courtesy to our fellow man? It should not matter if a person is male or female, offeror or recipient. A previous poster describe this as a social game of kindness and gratitude. It can also be seen as mutual respect.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why? The man offered, if he wasn't sincere he shouldn't have. Or is that just show to make him feel like a gentleman? In some cultures refusing a polite offer is seen as disrespectful or worse.
I don't feel there is any need for a man to give a seat or any of this stuff to an able bodied woman just because she is female but do we really want to live in a society were we do not show common courtesy to our fellow man? It should not matter if a person is male or female, offeror or recipient. A previous poster describe this as a social game of kindness and gratitude. It can also be seen as mutual respect.
I guess I agree with this. I just thought this would appease both sides of the argument. At the end of the day, I shouldn't be penalized for being born a man...

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
I'm a woman, and I would, and have, offered my seat to anyone who looks like they need to sit down, someone carrying something, someone with a baby, or young child. You could be a 28 year old healthy male carrying something heavy, and I would offer my seat to you. I'm not usually carrying something and I don't have a baby to hold, and I wouldn't expect a man to offer me his seat. I can stand just as well as a man can. I didn't need any special privileges when I was pregnant either. I can't believe some stores have special parking for pregnant women. It's good for them to walk.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I guess I agree with this. I just thought this would appease both sides of the argument. At the end of the day, I shouldn't be penalized for being born a man...
But your not being penalized. There is no law or rule that a man must give up a seat to a woman. No one is required to dance the dance, show kindness, respect or gratitude to others. As a society, our code of conduct is pretty lean and shrinking everyday.

Really, if one feels it is a punishment to extend random acts of kindness or show respect towards their fellow man, well I just don't know what to say about that, its sad.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
I take public transportation on a regular basis. I will give my seat up for the elderly & disabled, regardless of gender.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I take public transportation on a regular basis. I will give my seat up for the elderly & disabled, regardless of gender.
This is pretty much me as well. I will only offer up my seat if an individual is visibly struggling to stand, regardless of gender. I will not offer up my seat to some random lady just because she is a lady however. Not necessary. I feel as if a random lady would think I'm some kind of creep or something if I was like "ma'am would you like my seat" I imagine her reaction would be like "ew, no... stop trying to hit on me, weirdo"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates