Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

I think you give up your seat to someone who really needs it more than you whether male or female. So an elderly man or woman or someone frail, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
I see people saying they give their seat up to pregnant women, but you can't always tell if a woman is pregnant. Most miscarriages happen during the first trimester, before the big belly develops.

A few years ago Japan started passing out special stickers and tags that pregnant women can wear, so that people will know if they're pregnant. This is a great idea for those 1st trimester pregnancies. But most people don't know what they symbol means, so it's not that much help.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Unless a woman fellow passenger is elderly, pregnant, or accompanied by a small child, I wouldn't expect a man to give up his seat to a woman. Any man or young woman who didn't offer his/her seat to any of the above is an ass.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
No, not able bodied women. I taught my sons to give up a seat for an elderly person, a person with a disability, a pregnant mother or a mother with small children.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
A friend of mine here at work were, not 15 minutes ago, talking about this...

If a man opens a door for a woman, some women think that it's the 'war on women' as they're not able to open their own door and we're superior to them... (hogwash!)

If a man has manners and knows that shivery is not dead, he's participating in the war on women.
If a man DOESN'T have manners, some complain that shivery IS dead... WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK KILLED IT?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
It is patronizing and sexist, the men that do this are usually the "dirty old man" types. It is a relic of a different era. I have seen it happen a few times and I always felt so bad for the woman that was being publicly demeaned and humiliated. The whole concept is based on a belief that women are less capable and less than equal and that their place is at home in the kitchen.

It is truly a shame that you feel this way. The act of being polite and/or helpful is never meant to demean or humiliate. Perhaps your opinion is because of your upbringing or views on current social events, but you couldn't be more wrong.

I suppose, at the ripe old age of 34, I am a "dirty old man" type because I hold a door open. So be it. I was raised to be polite and have good manners. Being polite isn't an attempt to get in your pants or herd you to the kitchen to wear out a sandwich board. This is some of that new feminist garbage being taught to anyone who will listen. Apparently, you lapped it all up.

I'll continue to hold doors and be polite. You continue to be bitter and spiteful.

As for the original question, I'll offer a seat to anyone who looks like they could use it more than I can (and hope I can take her home and wild circus sex with her).

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM

468 posts, read 583,287 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In earlier times, men riding on crowded buses, trains, etc. were expected to give up their seats to ladies. A man who was seated while ladies were standing would be considered ill-mannered and not a proper gentlemen. And I would imagine that a woman who refused the offer would be considered brash and not a proper lady.

But social norms change, and certainly gender roles in the U.S. have undergone significant changes in recent times. So now we have the situation where some men will remain seated, unashamed, while the women standing over them glower at them in sullen annoyance. Meanwhile, elsewhere on the vehicle, a man will rise to offer his seat, only to find that the woman standing nearby refuses to take it.

So what do you feel is the proper etiquette? I'm not talking about offering seats to the elderly, or handicapped, or pregnant women, or someone burdened with packages. What I'm asking is, should an able-bodied, unencumbered man offer his seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered woman? And if so, should she take it?
No. A healthy young woman can stand and in some cases can use the "exercise".....yes, standing is a "weight bearing" exercise as in gravity v mass.

Since when did men become second class to women, that a tired hard working man has to jump up and give up his comfort for a "woman," NEGATORY. Stand its good for your legs.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It is truly a shame that you feel this way. The act of being polite and/or helpful is never meant to demean or humiliate. Perhaps your opinion is because of your upbringing or views on current social events, but you couldn't be more wrong.

I suppose, at the ripe old age of 34, I am a "dirty old man" type because I hold a door open. So be it. I was raised to be polite and have good manners. Being polite isn't an attempt to get in your pants or herd you to the kitchen to wear out a sandwich board. This is some of that new feminist garbage being taught to anyone who will listen. Apparently, you lapped it all up.

I'll continue to hold doors and be polite. You continue to be bitter and spiteful.
Take it from someone from the generation just before yours: there will always be people who are looking for reasons to be offended, or to feel demeaned. They will always find those, because they seek very diligently. I experienced this as early as the 1980s. The struggle of maintaining good manners is in part the struggle to continue to maintain them in spite of insecure churls for whom every casual interaction is a skirmish in a greater war.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 PM

477 posts, read 314,693 times
I don't expect it, but it is a very thoughtful thing to do.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
It depends... if they seem more than capable of being able to stand then I'll remain seated, and allow for someone else to offer up their seat if they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates