Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In earlier times, men riding on crowded buses, trains, etc. were expected to give up their seats to ladies. A man who was seated while ladies were standing would be considered ill-mannered and not a proper gentlemen. And I would imagine that a woman who refused the offer would be considered brash and not a proper lady.

But social norms change, and certainly gender roles in the U.S. have undergone significant changes in recent times. So now we have the situation where some men will remain seated, unashamed, while the women standing over them glower at them in sullen annoyance. Meanwhile, elsewhere on the vehicle, a man will rise to offer his seat, only to find that the woman standing nearby refuses to take it.

So what do you feel is the proper etiquette? I'm not talking about offering seats to the elderly, or handicapped, or pregnant women, or someone burdened with packages. What I'm asking is, should an able-bodied, unencumbered man offer his seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered woman? And if so, should she take it?
Nope, women should be treated as equals. Which means they stand as a man would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
Quote:
In earlier times, men riding on crowded buses, trains, etc. were expected to give up their seats to ladies. A man who was seated while ladies were standing would be considered ill-mannered and not a proper gentlemen. And I would imagine that a woman who refused the offer would be considered brash and not a proper lady.

But social norms change, and certainly gender roles in the U.S. have undergone significant changes in recent times. So now we have the situation where some men will remain seated, unashamed, while the women standing over them glower at them in sullen annoyance. Meanwhile, elsewhere on the vehicle, a man will rise to offer his seat, only to find that the woman standing nearby refuses to take it.

So what do you feel is the proper etiquette? I'm not talking about offering seats to the elderly, or handicapped, or pregnant women, or someone burdened with packages. What I'm asking is, should an able-bodied, unencumbered man offer his seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered woman? And if so, should she take it?
I definitely appreciate this gesture, even though I consider myself progressive. My feet get tired, and I don't run around in athletic shoes all of the time. Plus, it's just awkward not to be able to sit and look at the scenery. I think buses just need to offer more seating, really. That's often not the case, though, and, as long as it's a social norm and not a gesture of interest, I wouldn't be offended if a young man offered this young lady a seat.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
No one brought up that they can both sit? Offer up your lap

Anyhow if it is crowded, i more than likely offer my sit just because the woman is likely smaller than me, it sucks being knocked around and at 200 pounds and 6', i tend to hold my ground better. I do this for kids as well, other guys can go to the gym however. It has nothing to do with her being able to stand, it is about the other people bumping into a smaller person. The elderly included, if they as a tall, bulky person, they can stand too. The pregnant women sits to protect the baby from the bumps. Also the pregnancy lasts for 9 months, she will be discomfortable for the duration, why not try to let her be slightly more comfortable for a 30 minute bus ride?

Last edited by MLSFan; 04-26-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I will gladly give up my seat to elderly, disabled or a pregnant woman/woman with kiddies. Do I offer my seat to the random woman..........nope!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I will gladly give up my seat to elderly, disabled or a pregnant woman/woman with kiddies. Do I offer my seat to the random woman..........nope!
You would also give up your seat to disabled men, men carrying a child, a man in crutches, elder man, etc. right?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,926 times
Quote:

I'm a woman and I believe women and men are equals. With that said, men shouldn't hold doors open for me, permit me to exit an elevator first, or stand up to allow me to sit down.

I consider men my equal - I'm not higher or lower, or more special than him.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM

55 posts, read 74,947 times
Quote:
What I'm asking is, should an able-bodied, unencumbered man offer his seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered woman? And if so, should she take it?
No. Ask the question without the gender specific nouns and pronouns:

Should an able-bodied, unencumbered person offer their seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered person?

Just on the face of it, I can't see an argument for why the answer would be yes. Personally, I love accepting offers to enter through an opened door first or taking a seat offered by someone, then thanking them. It's a social game of sorts to receive token kindness and to offer back token gratitude. Nothing to do with chivalry, just the social games/dances/customs we play with each other.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm a woman and I believe women and men are equals. With that said, men shouldn't hold doors open for me, permit me to exit an elevator first, or stand up to allow me to sit down.

I consider men my equal - I'm not higher or lower, or more special than him.
Probably the only woman around here who thinks this way . Nice gestures shouldn't have a gender label.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,291 times
Equality, nope!

Ok ok, post #4 sums it up for me, but I also agree with #10. That definitely pisses me off. When it comes to holding doors, I hold doors for anyone, man or woman.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I would offer a seat to someone who appears to have more of a need to sit than I do. Some women are more than capable, and probably more than content, with standing. But older people, people who look sick or tired, a lone parent with a young child, a nursing or pregnant mother; I'd give a seat up for them, regardless of gender out of politeness.
Good approach. I am old enough to remember when it was somewhat routine. But I honestly don't see the point of giving up a seat for a female of equal physical ability as me to to sit or stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates