Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

I always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I used to ride a bus to get to and from a ferry. Most of the time there were plenty of seats but in the Summer it was packed with tourists and workers. I used to sit or stand near the back so I had a chance to watch peoples behaviour.
I noticed that a man giving up his seat to a woman was a generational thing. The younger 20 somethings just didn't do it under any circumstance be it an elderly person, pregnant woman or someone on crutches.

I like what an earlier poster put up "I give up my seat if she is a lady"

Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
If you want true equality then no a man shouldn't give up his seat for a woman. If a woman really wants to be equal, they would refuse.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Offer the seat to whoever looks like they need it more than you. But most people are perfectly fine standing for a brief time.

For myself, as a perfectly able-bodied woman who wears sensible shoes, I would decline if someone offered their seat. For one thing, I'm not looking to interact with people on public transportation and for another thing, if it's a crowded bus or subway car, the jostling and maneuvering to switch seats is probably going to irritate the other passengers.

My housemate is NOT fine standing for any significant amount of time due to physical issues that are usually quite obvious. I've noticed that when we go somewhere crowded, no one offers their seat. That is irritating.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM

698 posts, read 587,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What I'm asking is, should an able-bodied, unencumbered man offer his seat to an able-bodied, unencumbered woman? And if so, should she take it?
No, what purpose is this supposed to serve anyway? Women can stand just as easily as men. I think men that do this are more than a little creepy, it is just so awkward and weird.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If you want true equality then no a man shouldn't give up his seat for a woman. If a woman really wants to be equal, they would refuse.
As a woman I agree there is no reason for a man to give up a seat for an able bodied woman. But, as a lady if a man offered I would graciously accept and yes thank him. To refuse would not mean standing for equality it would just be bad manners.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
No, what purpose is this supposed to serve anyway? Women can stand just as easily as men. I think men that do this are more than a little creepy, it is just so awkward and weird.

I don't think it is awkward or weird at all. No different than if I, as a woman, offer my seat to someone who is in more need of it than I. But I grew up in a time and place where people were taught manners and social civility was widely accepted if not expected.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I think men that do this are more than a little creepy, it is just so awkward and weird.
I'm curious as to why you feel this way. (I'm assuming that the man is not giving up his seat as a "pick up line" gesture, but simply gets up and has no further interaction with the lady to whom he offered the seat.)

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Old men and women, disabled people, pregnant women, people carrying big bags or packages or babies--yes, able-bodied men absolutely should give up their seats, and so should able-bodied women. There is no way I'm sitting while some little old lady stands.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As a woman I agree there is no reason for a man to give up a seat for an able bodied woman. But, as a lady if a man offered I would graciously accept and yes thank him. To refuse would not mean standing for equality it would just be bad manners.
Yep. Eye contact, smile, say thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates