Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM

31,043 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a 50 percent rate of illegitimate births among Hispanic women. Most of the time, it is not with Black men. A better question is this. Why does ANYONE have a child out of wedlock in the first place, regardless of race?

There is something else I want to point out. As long as the "Black male" dynamic is going to be discussed, I am going to put this into proper perspective. Where I live, whenever I see mixed race children being raised by a single mother, there is something else I notice, that no one is pointing out in any measure: the HOOD RAT dynamic. And when I say hood rat, I'm talking about the men who aren't going anywhere in life, who live off of their mothers, who are perennially unemployed or are basically losers. I notice women who end up raising children alone, they haven't sleep with the Black guy who is actually doing something with his life, or at the very least, the Black guy who is trying. They have slept with the lower end of the Black male population, the hood rat types. No one has addressed that part.

In my experiences, I've rarely seen the diligent, hardworking Black men do things like that. Of the Black men that I know of who are with non-Black women, only one has a child out of wedlock.

Another thing to consider is Los Angeles itself. More interracial dating goes on there than in many other cities.
Yep, More White, Asian and Mexican guys with Black women than any place else.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:59 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Well there probably is some bias towards more European looking hispanics in the hispanic community but I haven't noticed them really trying to hide their culture, at least in the US. Seems a lot are proud of their culture. Agree Asians seem to be at the bottom of the totem pole in the media and other socials scenes. A lot of it is brought upon themselves, with their passive attitudes, inferiority complexes and willingness to be subservient and settle for less than other races would settle for. One bright spot is the show "Fresh off the boat". I've been watching it and it seems like it might stick. I think it's a fair representation of Asians, unlike many past shows.
Some of them change their names like the sheen family did.Hispanics have not had hit show since ugly betty.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
For those that never met a black person in real life, their influence comes from the media, entertainment industry, and their peers (who probably never met a black person either). Not sure if you ever went to China but the preponderance of white faces in advertisements is obvious. At the same time there are very few other non-Chinese faces. It's as if they're saying, a white person endorses this product so it must be superior. There are Indians, blacks, Middle Easterners, southeast asians, etc. in China but you almost never see them in advertisements.

For the entertainment industry I do think great progress has been made. Blacks certainly have it much better than Asians or hispanics in that regard.
Well, compared to other nations in the world, the USA does have a fairer representation of Blacks in the entertainment industry. Certainly better than Brazil.

I've never been to China in my life, lack of funds to do so. However, I've seen some things from Chinese entertainment. I see that alot of the advertisements look very different from the Chinese people that I've met. Same goes for what I've seen in Brazilian advertisements. Looks a bit different from Brazilians I've met. I don't want to call it Eurocentrism, but I can understand what you are talking about.

In some African nations, there are Black women using skin-lightening cream. That is not good stuff to use. Even among some Africans, there is a mentality of "lighter is better".

Your post made me think of something else. In the mid 1990s, I remember the show "All American Girl" with Margaret Chu debuting. I was about 8 when it came out. I liked the show, but then it suddenly stopped being aired. I never saw it again on TV. There aren't many portrayals of Asians in sitcoms. I see more Asians in movies. However, I see this more in martial arts movies than anything else.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well, compared to other nations in the world, the USA does have a fairer representation of Blacks in the entertainment industry. Certainly better than Brazil.

I've never been to China in my life, lack of funds to do so. However, I've seen some things from Chinese entertainment. I see that alot of the advertisements look very different from the Chinese people that I've met. Same goes for what I've seen in Brazilian advertisements. Looks a bit different from Brazilians I've met. I don't want to call it Eurocentrism, but I can understand what you are talking about.

In some African nations, there are Black women using skin-lightening cream. That is not good stuff to use. Even among some Africans, there is a mentality of "lighter is better".
Yea sadly that happens . Some people trying to stop to it. Black is beautiful campaigns are all over the media. Also the natural hair movement is gaining popularity.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:

Your post made me think of something else. In the mid 1990s, I remember the show "All American Girl" with Margaret Chu debuting. I was about 8 when it came out. I liked the show, but then it suddenly stopped being aired. I never saw it again on TV. There aren't many portrayals of Asians in sitcoms. I see more Asians in movies. However, I see this more in martial arts movies than anything else.
Well I know the entertainment industry is biased in general towards "good looking people", just look at shows such as "Survivor" or other reality TV shows. The participants don't represent the general population, especially physically. So in that regards the Chinese entertainment industry is no different. But China is pretty blatant when it comes to racism (ex. advertisements, English teaching). I do remember "All American Girl" and I think I watched a little of it but I must not have thought it was funny or entertaining, and apparently neither did most other people. In movies or TV shows produced in America, how often do you see an Asian male in a romantic lead? Hardly ever, Asians are heavily stereotyped, much more so than blacks. I'm hoping this changes but it's been slow. Seems asians are too passive many times and not willing to stand up for themselves. Also I think Asians are often lumped together as a homogeneous group just like blacks, although the stereotypes are different.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well I know the entertainment industry is biased in general towards "good looking people", just look at shows such as "Survivor" or other reality TV shows. The participants don't represent the general population, especially physically. So in that regards the Chinese entertainment industry is no different. But China is pretty blatant when it comes to racism (ex. advertisements, English teaching). I do remember "All American Girl" and I think I watched a little of it but I must not have thought it was funny or entertaining, and apparently neither did most other people. In movies or TV shows produced in America, how often do you see an Asian male in a romantic lead? Hardly ever, Asians are heavily stereotyped, much more so than blacks. I'm hoping this changes but it's been slow. Seems asians are too passive many times and not willing to stand up for themselves. Also I think Asians are often lumped together as a homogeneous group just like blacks, although the stereotypes are different.
The things of is that racist think Blacks are sexually animals. Asian women are submissive and are willing to sleep with any white guys.Asian men have little penis and do not like having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates