Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

IMHO, it all comes down to modern-day Puritanism, and H.L. Mencken said it best when he defined Puritanism as:

The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If you want to be taken seriously, never use or expect others to read Wiki as a reliable source. Fortunately many HS & colleges do not allow it for research papers/assignments.
As to a better source, if something is legit, it is easy to find unless people are lazy.

As to my assumption vs. yours, many people who are not right wing by any stretch of the imagination do not approve of either of the threads topics. This includes many left wingers and/or minorities.

I gotcha.

You can't dispute the research so you lazily dismiss the link.

Carry on.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
I always find it amusing when people such as yourself wish to lump all sorts of people together with name calling just because you think differently than they do.

While opposition to homosexual and interracial relationships are too very different things, how about trying to understand what some of the reasons might be rather than a liberal knee jerk reaction.

I suspect many parents of any race who oppose interracial relationships for their kids fear it could lead to pregnancy/marriage. That will mean their grandkids will be of a different race, and may wind up being raised with different cultural values, religion, etc.
They also know life will be harder on their kids and future grandkids, so why would any parent want that.

The similarity to homosexuals has at least one common thread in that no parent is going to want their kid to turn out homosexual. The obvious reason is no future offspring. They also know life will be tougher on them as a result.

From there it should not be too hard to extrapolate why society shuns such behavior and hopes that disapproval might stigmatize it enough to curb it. Granted that applies to interracial more than homo because some people are likely born homosexual.

There of course could be other reasons as well. So just because it is not PC to say so, people do have their reasons and cannot just be all lumped together as bigots if you wish to really understand their reason/s.

`
I would not give a flying crap if one of my kids is gay. And I don't know anyone who else would care either and I'm surrounded by conservatives. I personally know gay couples that have children and families. Some biological through fertility treatments and some adopted. If grandparents can accept grandchildren adopted by their straight children, then they can accept them if adopted by their gay children. The only people that shun such behavior are the RWNJ Tea Baggers. And they justify their hatred through the Bible, God and Jesus non of which supports the hatred, persecution, banishment or mistreatment of homosexuals.

And everyone who is gay was born that way. No if's, and's or but's about that.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I dunno, probably because many posters here are also stormfront members?
Whoa never thought of that.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
I always find it amusing when people such as yourself wish to lump all sorts of people together with name calling just because you think differently than they do.

While opposition to homosexual and interracial relationships are too very different things, how about trying to understand what some of the reasons might be rather than a liberal knee jerk reaction.

I suspect many parents of any race who oppose interracial relationships for their kids fear it could lead to pregnancy/marriage. That will mean their grandkids will be of a different race, and may wind up being raised with different cultural values, religion, etc.
They also know life will be harder on their kids and future grandkids, so why would any parent want that.

The similarity to homosexuals has at least one common thread in that no parent is going to want their kid to turn out homosexual. The obvious reason is no future offspring. They also know life will be tougher on them as a result.

From there it should not be too hard to extrapolate why society shuns such behavior and hopes that disapproval might stigmatize it enough to curb it. Granted that applies to interracial more than homo because some people are likely born homosexual.

There of course could be other reasons as well. So just because it is not PC to say so, people do have their reasons and cannot just be all lumped together as bigots if you wish to really understand their reason/s.

`
My descendants (from both sides) have racially mixed for generations. My kids are also half Mexican. No hardship to speak of. Intermarriage between the races isn't that unusual, especially outside of the United States. My father is a mixed race Brasilian and it is no big deal. I really never understood why being of mixed race is considered something tragic or abhorrent. We're all human, aren't we? We're all American, aren't we? I'm also curious whose perspective it is that considers being bi or multiracial "hard"? It's only hard if you feel the need to be pigeonholed into a particular box. I am happy that my kids are being exposed to another culture. I consider it enrichment, not a curse or anything shameful.

Also, it really doesn't matter if society as a whole shuns the behavior of intimate interracial relations (which it doesn't), people are going to do it. I see it far more often now than I ever have. People hook up, marry, and have relationships with people who may be of a different race/ethnicity than themselves. They're having kids.

If a person doesn't care for it, then don't do it. No one is forcing you to sleep with a person of a different race. Most people tend to stick within their own race. But please save your pity and condemnation over something that's totally normal.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Because people are narrow minded and nosey. Just look at all the reality shows that feature odd pairings of people doing odd jobs or simply bickering and talking about each other. It is all trash but people eat it up.

People like to judge others and they get on their high horse and look down at anyone that is different than them.

Inter racial couple? Who cares, as long as they treat each other respectfully and lovingly. That is all anyone wants in any relationship isn't it?

Gays" Who cares as long as you see the above rule. I don't care what you get up to in the bedroom and neither should anyone else.

If people would just let other people BE we would all be much more productive.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:16 AM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Angry They Are Nosey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Why people care about what two consenting adults do ?
Because everybody is thinks about sex too much. They are so concerned with sex, they are nosey with other people and are concerned with OTHER people having sex instead of worrying about them self.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Because they like to "out" the "haters".

Old 04-20-2015, 11:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Because too many people are narrow-minded bigots.

Far too many people lack any empathy or ability to consider any viewpoint other than their own. Their hatred of gays, people of other races and religions, and so on makes about as much sense as thinking, "I don't like pickles, so clearly only crazy / evil people must like them." It's the same crazy-train level of reasoning, but hatred sells, so it's not going away.

Look at how much money and support hate-mongers can drum up from the gullible. Look at how many of these worthless leaders offer no solutions to any real problems, but they can misquote holy books and fuel the fire of hatred - and get paid millions and/or be elected to office just on that alone.

So, there's no shortage of reasons for power-hungry sociopaths to continue to sell hate, but without the gullible morons who think they are the center of the universe, they wouldn't have any customers. So, in the end, the flaw is with the people who support this behavior than the people who promote it.

Well said!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Because they have no life and nothing else better to do than try to make others as miserable as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates