Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 AM

450 posts, read 596,923 times

Advertisements

A long time ago a country Sheriff told me to do whatever I had to do to protect myself. Anything. Then drag the criminal outside and call the law.
Sounds like good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
This is complete & utter hornswaggle.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
I really hope this DOESN'T ever happen to you but....

The moment it does, you'd want that scumbag that broke into your house taken out.
If someone enters my home uninvited and unwanted, I'm dropping them like a bad habit.
I'm shooting to kill - not to injure - not to slow down - not to warn - to FREAKIN' KILL THEM... DEAD...

Next you'll say you're an atheist and you don't like guns...
But your house gets broken into and the first thing you do is pray for a cop...

If I'm ever put on a jury where someone is on trial for killing a person who unlawfully entered their house - there's no question: INNOCENT ... they were protecting themselves.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post
A long time ago a country Sheriff told me to do whatever I had to do to protect myself. Anything. Then drag the criminal outside and call the law.
Sounds like good advice.
Advice that will get you a long jail term.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,285 times
Most definitely NOT.

Anyone who enters my home with poor intent, especially if I am home alone with my young son, will be given a swift introduction to Mr. Metal Baseball Bat.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post
Then drag the criminal outside...
Sounds like good advice.
It was good advice up until that point.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM

256 posts, read 462,617 times
If some is crazy enough to get your home then s/he is crazy enough to hurt you. I would do the same but will probably try to aim legs. Of course if you are not trained well and with this crazy adrenaline level, you can easily miss the leg

Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM

306 posts, read 517,439 times
Quote:

Because anyone who is home during a robbery will immediately know whether the nice man breaking into the house simply wants a television or some jewelry and will then be on his merry way.

You do realize that most burglars aren't the cute type with the little black bandana you see in the security/alarm commercials while you are sitting on the couch all day.

If someone is willing to break into someone's household, they must be pretty desperate and are probably willing to do anything. Please get off your high horse.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
One cannot argue that an intruder takes their life in their hands when they break and enter into private property uninvited.

However, more often than not, the resident ends up wounded or dead by escalating the situation.

Much better to let the burglar go about his business, protect yourself and your family, and live another day.

Sure, it hurts in the short term, and yes, things can escalate if that is what the intruder has in mind, but your bringing a gun into the situation does nothing, usually, to defuse the situation.

It all sounds good....macho....hero....defender of "my" rights....until you have bullet hole in your heart.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post

If I'm ever put on a jury where someone is on trial for killing a person who unlawfully entered their house - there's no question: INNOCENT ... they were protecting themselves.
Yep. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates