Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post

there will always be a group of people who will use the destructive and violent behavior by African-Americans as an excuse for their racism. ?

You know what's interesting? Some young hot heads riot. Many more blacks try to stop the violence and try to clean up afterwards.

Do people discuss this latter group?

No they don't because they prefer the image of the first group as it justifies their own racism and refusal for adjustments to the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The question is What are these Rioters doing to Race Relations and the general perception?
I think that when your immediate day to day concern is being beaten or shot down in street, what white people think isn't exactly in the forefront of your concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They are confirming all the stereotypes that racists have of them.
Racist don't need confirmation no matter what African Americans do. For the last eight years we've had a Harvard educated African American who has brought the country out of the worst recession since the Great Depression, has provided healthcare to millions who didn't have it before, a man married to an equally accomplished woman and who has raised two wonderful children who has been subjected to every racial insult in the book. So you see even with super magical negro powers racist are going to be racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Look at how Ghandi stood up against the British empire. He didn't throw rocks, loot or burn down buildings but he managed to get his point across and implemented change.
Yes Gandhi (you can't even get the man's name spelled correctly) and King, why can't you people of color be more like them, while ignoring that there were violent movements working in backdrop making both King and Gandhi much more powerful than they otherwise would have been. Malcolm X realized this and saw himself as the stick behind the carrot making the carrot far more palatable. The same was true with Gandhi because while the white folks like to present Gandhi as the harbinger of Indian Independence there were successive violent movements that move independence forward as well. The Quit India movement launched in 1942 by Gandhi himself stated,
"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor."
Finally, it is interesting that for a nation that celebrates violence as the answer against oppression every 4th of July and with a large segment of the nation that still considers an insurrection that cost the lives of 600,000 of its citizens as an honorable act against government repression that we sit here today bemoaning the use of violence by people of color to remove the oppressiveness of the state from their lives.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Finally, it is interesting that for a nation that celebrates violence as the answer against oppression every 4th of July and with a large segment of the nation that still considers an insurrection that cost the lives of 600,000 of its citizens as an honorable act against government repression that we sit here today bemoaning the use of violence by people of color to remove the oppressiveness of the state from their lives.
Mondawmin Mall and the Penn-North CVS and those corner liquor stores and check-cashing joints must have been quite oppressive indeed, for the "people of color" to assault them so viciously.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
I think that when your immediate day to day concern is being beaten or shot down in street, what white people think isn't exactly in the forefront of your concerns.

Racist don't need confirmation no matter what African Americans do. For the last eight years we've had a Harvard educated African American who has brought the country out of the worst recession since the Great Depression, has provided healthcare to millions who didn't have it before, a man married to an equally accomplished woman and who has raised two wonderful children who has been subjected to every racial insult in the book. So you see even with super magical negro powers racist are going to be racist.

Yes Gandhi (you can't even get the man's name spelled correctly) and King, why can't you people of color be more like them, while ignoring that there were violent movements working in backdrop making both King and Gandhi much more powerful than they otherwise would have been. Malcolm X realized this and saw himself as the stick behind the carrot making the carrot far more palatable. The same was true with Gandhi because while the white folks like to present Gandhi as the harbinger of Indian Independence there were successive violent movements that move independence forward as well. The Quit India movement launched in 1942 by Gandhi himself stated,
"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor."
You actually spotlighted the issue when you discussed Obama. In spite of being the president of the entire country, every race, every gender, every age, this president only weighs in on things that affect people of color. As does his AG. As does his wife. Only. Every time. So forgive me if I see all of his accomplishments, yet still see race. Because he does, at every turn.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:

I think most young men living in the hood live in fear of being shot or beaten by a rival peer more than being pulled over by the Police and being killed.

Quote:

What is the answer then? Do we allow the violent destruction of a neighborhood, a city so the downtrodden can get their point across?

This is America 2015 and we all have the right to protest peacefully. We don't have the right to destroy, loot and riot. The Police in Baltimore were told to stand down and allow lawlessness to run the streets. That is so counter productive to anything positive.

If I understand the quote the wise wino is comparing the riots to the Revolutionary war. The black folk are not happy and want to break from "The Man". If it is a War then maybe we are looking at the race riots of the 1960's all over again. I would not want to see the violence of the protestors met with violence from "the Man" because in the end we will all lose.

The riots are setting race relations back.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Looking at how history played out for AA's and AI's(Indians) It pretty much turned out like white people had tried to make it turn out. We put Indians on the reservations and now complain how lazy and stifled they are. We moved white America out to the suburbs and built black people inner city Ghettos to live in and now wonder why they can't re write their history. What did you expect?

I think we got exactly what we planned as white people..I can't see why all you white people are surprised by these current events. It's pretty much a duh, what did you think would happen if we did that.

The role of federal and state government in creating and maintaining residential racial segregation must be understood, without excuse, as a reality of American history. Giving the "good" jobs to whites, and the "bad" jobs to blacks was commonly excepted practice in our recent history.

Some have overcome it, look at our president. He overcame his skin despite being called a fake American most of his presidency but he didn't grow up in a ghetto. Poor whites usually don't grow up in inner cities either, they pool in country or rules America. It's doesn't produce a life of crime, or gang activity.

Riots, protesting, will all lead to changes that will help them get out of the places we stuck them long ago. If these protests pay off the police will have checks and balances when dealing with black people, that will be a much needed change. If they can only fear their criminal, and not the police, that will help some not opt to live a life of crime for protection from society, which is how they feel. There are lots of well written documentaries on this, but nobody listens.

Black people live in poor inner city projects for the same reasons white people live in white suburbs. We made it that way.

Do you ever watch the reasons these kids feel gangs and crime are better for them than college life? Maybe we should just listen, and then try to undo what we've done so we can start understanding and appreciating our African American population. After all we set them up to struggle, and then have the nerve to wonder why they are struggling.

If any of you care to indulge yourselves, read some history about African Americans and their history in our Country. You don't have to go all the way back to slavery to see what we did. It will answer most of your questions as to "why" these kids riot, why they fear police, why they feel crime is better than a life of getting kicked down in their neighborhoods by others.

And,,,if you care to notice, a lot and I mean tons of African Americans have made it out of the ghetto, made it out from under the thumb of what we wanted for them and have become news anchors, CEO's, business owners, famous artists and even president of the U.S.A. despite starting out as nothing we regarded as human enough to even vote in our past. I think helps their so called "cause" more than the riots as of late are hurting it.

Did the latest riots over losing football teams hurt the football fans? Will there be less fans now?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
I'm not sure what an African American is but I can say that a lot of the people rioting have probably never stepped foot in Africa.

What some people here are claiming is systematic oppression. Let's go through history:

-WWII genocide of the Jews by Nazi Germany. I would say the Jews recovered and have done quite well for themselves.
-Japanese in America sent to internment camps, these were American citizens. The two atomic bombs. Did Japan feel sorry for itself? Maybe but they also worked hard at industry to create something great for themselves.
-Anti-Chinese acts in the early 1900's. I'd say the Chinese don't whine and complain and bring up what happened to them.

The plight of blacks can be heavily credited to democratic policies. The War on Poverty basically traded money for black votes, LBJ said he'd "have those negroes (he didn't say negroes, either) voting democrat for generations." It was meant to create dependency on the government.

Then you have black "leaders" such as al sharpton and jesse jackson who want to keep blacks poor and dumb because they want to be seen as their saviors and messiahs.

Look at the blacks who are successful, they're no different than other people who are successful, I would guess just like other successful people, they have traits such as: personal responsibility, education, work ethic, family values, etc.

The blame game sure is getting old. If your family is hungry, I don't see how looting a Foot Locker for shoes or a liquor store for beer is going to help them.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
Yes Gandhi ... and King, why can't you people of color be more like them, while ignoring that there were violent movements working in backdrop making both King and Gandhi much more powerful than they otherwise would have been. Malcolm X realized this and saw himself as the stick behind the carrot making the carrot far more palatable. The same was true with Gandhi because while the white folks like to present Gandhi as the harbinger of Indian Independence there were successive violent movements that move independence forward as well. The Quit India movement launched in 1942 by Gandhi himself stated,
Peaceful protests are ignored ignored unless there is strength behind the passivity. If you politely protest unfair treatment by a large corporation they will ignore you. If you politely protest by sending the protest letter under a lawfirm's letterhead they pay more attention. If I politely protest against a thug (any race, take your pick) trying to rob me, the thug will laugh and rob me anyway. If I politely protest with my hand on the butt of a concealed handgun the thug will quickly back off.

However, riots and looting do nothing to better race relations. The strength behind the Civil Rights movement was one of righteousness, not violence. When the racists in power in Selma attacked the protesters in suits and dresses the strength that resulted came from the rest of the nation rising up against the injustice. I believe that if gangs of thugs were looting and rioting at the same time as the Selma march we wouldn't even remember the Selma march.

Just like today. There were peaceful protests and marches in Fergusson and Baltimore, and those protests and marches were covered on the news. But what are we talking about here? Not the peaceful protesters trying to improve race relations. No, we are talking about the looters and rioters.

Looting an electronics store has nothing to do with race; it is simply someone stealing a TV. Burning a convenience store has nothing to do with race; it is simply an arsonist who found an excuse to cause destruction. Looting and rioting has nothing to do with race; it is simply a group of thugs causing damage.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
It's funny when:

When White men feel they are being oppressed or feel a injustice it is called a "Rebellion"
(aka the Boston Tea Party or the Revolutionary & Civil wars)

When Black men feel they are being oppressed or feel a injustice it is called a "Riot"

Choose you words carefully now.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroit View Post
they are confirming all the stereotypes that racists have of them. And they have accomplished more damage to their community than the kkk could have ever dreamed of.
nailed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates