Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:52 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times

Advertisements

People just don't care, do not pay attention or think foolishly they can do as they please. Also, parenting and who they were influenced by growing up has a big impact. If a child watches their mom break rules and not care about others, they're much more likely to do the same. I think a lot of it comes down to little or no respect for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Maybe because some rules are just meaningless or meant to control those who are not wise enough to understand that some are important and some are not.

There are some people in the world who ignore the silly rules and go about doing what needs to be done.

There are some people in the world who sit around waiting for others to tell them what to do next, how, and why -- although to most of these people, the why is not important.
Totally agree!

Old 05-23-2015, 01:04 PM

94 posts, read 90,274 times
You wanna know the truth? Rules don't apply to anyone. They're made up and have zero impact on the subjectivity of morality.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:40 PM

163 posts, read 125,440 times
Maybe these entitled people were instructed by their 'caregivers', that if they don't do it first, somebody else will do it to them. This type of person may have had a rough upbringing, having had to tough it out on the streets and fight for what they needed.

Allowances are always made for those who don't follow the rules. It's as if it's expected that 75% will do the right thing, and the other 25%, well, 'they don't know any better so we'll just overlook it'.

Also this type of person knows that no one is going to say anything much about it for the sake of keeping the peace.

But we can do things ourselves to straighten this out.

When meeting a notoriously late person, be late yourself. The other person would have been late anyway so you're just planning for the inevitable.

If someone always cancels or changes plans, don't make any with that person for a while or plan for that happening.

When a member of the book club doesn't bring what they're supposed to, let the effect of that be felt at least for a while. Don't just rush in to compensate. Maybe all the glasses are in the dishwasher. So people are a little thirsty for a while. They can thank you-know-who for that.

Last edited by calculator; 05-23-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I think the problem of driving and texting is a perfect example of what is wrong with many people and society today.

People text and drive because they think that (1) informing whoever that traffic is really bad and s/he will be home two minutes later than s/he texted five minutes ago (also while driving) is more important than focusing on driving, and/or (2) their texting is more important to them than staying centered in their lane or maintaining their speed with the flow of traffic, and/or (3) they think that the no texting rule is "stupid", and/or (4) they think, with good reason, that they probably won't get ticketed anyway, even if they are seen texting by an LEO. In short, they are entirely self-centered and feel that they are special enough that they should be able to ignore any rule that doesn't please them.

Personally, I think that anyone who IS caught driving and texting by an LEO should be subjected to a $5,000 fine and an overnight stay in jail. Yes, I know that is harsh, but the alternative would be to either have law enforcement devote a lot more time to enforcing no-texting laws, which would be probably be cost-prohibitive, or else to do away with the no-texting law altogether.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
My own rules are better

Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 AM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times
People I run into that follow every rule policy and procedure are like sheep are so boring I would never want to be around those people. The ones who are most successful in life are usually not those people.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
I don't think this is a simple as people not choosing to "obey rules". Some people have become so self-absorbed in their own world, that others simply don't matter......or possibly don't even register.

You can list a million examples but one of my favorite places to view this self absorbed behavior is the grocery store. People who stop in the middle of an isle to have an extended chat with an acquaintance, folks who couldn't be bothered to walk 10 - 20 feet to return a carriage and leave them in the middle of a parking spot, parking in a handicapped spot without a permit and of course, those people who sit in their car, right in front of the store entrance/exit waiting for somebody who's "just running in for a second" while traffic snarls around them.

These people aren't "rebels", consciously breaking societal conventions.......they are just indicators that the notion of common courtesy is on it's deathbed. It's a symptom of our "I've got mine - everybody else can suck one" attitude here in the US.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Some rules make sense, some rules don't and should be broken. I don't fully subject or submit myself to rules that I don't agree with.
Unfortunately a lot of people think the rules don't make sense because they don't understand the reasoning behind the rules or they simply believe they are above the rules and that the rule should only be followed by other, lesser people.

"What do you mean I can't get a full cash refund without a receipt? I am not a thief or a liar and I'm telling you I paid full price. You need to make an exception for me. I demand to see your supervisor."
Special snowflake syndrome.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I mean there are some general rules in life and various other things and some people think they don't have to follow them or the rules don't apply to them ? is it because they grew up with lazy parents not teaching them how to follow rules or is it because at one time in their lives someone told them the rules don't apply to them ? the reason Im stating this is because I belong to a group of people and we have a reading robin once a month and someone is assigned say to bring paper cups yet they were late and they forgot the paper cups ? and you could see that they were not concerned about it at all . That just irks me to no end when the rest of us follow the rules . You would hope that the leader saying something to them would mean something but again they do the same thing over and over again . Not to mention that this to me would be considered a sign of disrespect to the hostess because then she has to find glasses enough for everyone . Has anyone been in such a situation and if so did you say anything ? I have heard that some of the others in the group are thinking about quiting because of this issue ..

Leadership skills, people skills, lord knows there are plenty of jackasses out there who are so consumed and so self absorbed with themselves with no regard for others, friends or other decent people that it can make you want to wig out and scream. Shake it off lady61, it's probably not because they're ignorant but because they're just simple stupid. How about the Team leader makes one last effort to address the situation, stating the next time a member forgets their duties, they're done being counted on. Turn the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates