Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times

Advertisements

at least thats my opinion.

all they see is numbers. 10 million off the dole, 100,000 lost jobs, etc.

it looks big, but it doesnt stick with you.

now compare that to a homeless person laying down on the street as you walk by.

the reaction would be like oh my god, i cant believe i saw that and it would stick in there mind, and maybe they end up helping the homeless guy out or at least begin to understand the situation.

the reason why people dont have sympathy for the 99ers is because there is no image of a 99er for someone to associate with. a number is not significant, compared to an actual image.

i understand what the 99ers are going through since i was unemployed as well.

but, you have to cut some people slack who are unaware and can't put a face on a 99er. if they could put a face on a 99er maybe things would be different, but these situations are almost all personal and dealt with in private quarters.

the public can't see your struggle, so they don't believe you. its about as cut and dry as that.

not saying i agree with the public, im saying thats the perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 62,121 times
that's the perception because most mainstream media have virtually ignored the plight of the unemployed and especially the plight of the 99'ers.......

Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWARRIOR View Post
that's the perception because most mainstream media have virtually ignored the plight of the unemployed and especially the plight of the 99'ers.......
Plus the media is very busy promoting that perception that we have 30 million illegals here because Americans are too lazy to work.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
They need to see more than simply a homeless person. They need to see a homeless person who is middle aged or maybe even upper middle aged, who perhaps was a low six-figure manager not too long ago, etc. and see that it's not some strange exception caused by a psychological issue and that there's more than one of this person out there.

Too many people look at a homeless person and either think: 1) alcohol/drug abuse, 2) mental illness, or perhaps 3) illegal alien.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
They need to see more than simply a homeless person. They need to see a homeless person who is middle aged or maybe even upper middle aged, who perhaps was a low six-figure manager not too long ago, etc. and see that it's not some strange exception caused by a psychological issue and that there's more than one of this person out there.

Too many people look at a homeless person and either think: 1) alcohol/drug abuse, 2) mental illness, or perhaps 3) illegal alien.
They think that because 40 to 50% homeless people are mentally ill (Axis I). But that doesn't mean everyone is.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Many Americans are what 3 or 4 paychecks away from being homeless?

And you have a lot of people who until THEY are in a certain situation have no empathy for others.

Until it happens to them.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Many Americans are what 3 or 4 paychecks away from being homeless?

And you have a lot of people who until THEY are in a certain situation have no empathy for others.

Until it happens to them.
Many Americans are 3 or 4 paychecks away from being homeless because they are financial morons.

A lot of people work really hard and sacrifice so they won't be in that situation. Which does not mean they shouldn't have empathy, but don't think that the fact that some do well fool you into thinking it's all about luck. Life is partly luck, but it luck favors the well-prepared.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They think that because 40 to 50% homeless people are mentally ill (Axis I). But that doesn't mean everyone is.
99% of homeless are addicts. But they are still human beings. We should be compassionate and open mental facilities again.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
99% of homeless are addicts. But they are still human beings. We should be compassionate and open mental facilities again.
Do you know these people? They don't want to stay at these facilities. And when the hell did I say we shouldn't be compassionate?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM

269 posts, read 710,829 times
It's all population control. The "middle-aged" worker is tomorrow's "senior citizen". NWO Eugenicists would be content if the unemployed killed themselves. After all, if we were part of the "intellectual elite" we wouldn't be out of work now, would we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment