Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times

Advertisements

So long story short. I helped out for a college commercial last week. I enjoy film and tv so i go to these things sometimes. Basically they ended up using me as a extra and by the end said they needed me to sign a contract that states they can use my face in there commercial. So i gave them my SSN and signed it. No problem. Then they said they would pay me 50$. Immediately i was worried. I wasnt expecting to get paid and i can afford to send in my paper unemployment form because it takes to long to receive my money. I know if i make 50$ and cash the check they will know that i made that much and i honestly didnt mean to. So im stuck with a check and i dont mind not cashing it but i was wondering would i still have to file the paper form and put that i made 50$ even if i dont cash it? i would like to give it to my mother so i wonder if i can have them write the check out to my mother and send it to her in Arizona as a gift. Im not trying to sound lazy here. I am trying to find a great job and i cant afford to wait 10 days to receive my money through paper claim form. Online it happens the very next day. Now im wondering if when the TV company took my SSN of that can be used to do there taxes and show that i made 50? or If i dont cash the 50$ does that mean it wont go through? how does the IRS or EDD know when and how i make the money. Im not trying to trick anything i just want to make sure i can continue to do the online claim form this up coming week.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Use the paper form, and don't make the same mistake again.

If you try to be cute, be prepared for the consequences. A false statement penalty is a minimum (could be more or the end of your claim in it's entirety) of 5 weeks X your weekly benefit amount, and I suspect that is WAY more than the $50 you've received.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
You gave them your social and signed the form. You were paid. You need to file the paper form. If you don't want to claim with the paper form, don't make money whether you mean to or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment