Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:24 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Well, January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/s...reciation-day/) and we all know that squirrels are rodents, just like rats, so......

To celebrate the fact that we have chosen to NOT give in to societal pressure to bring unwanted children into a world that already has millions of unwanted, unloved, neglected, homeless, and abused children already. Clearly parenthood is not for everyone. At least child-free people have the guts to say "no" to parenthood rather than blindly obeying societal pressure to have kids regardless of whether or not you're capable of being a responsible and loving parent.
I'm sure some child free people have decided not to procreate for lofty societal reasons. Others, not so much. Just like some parents made thoughtful and sober decisions to have kids and others didn't. To ascribe such sterling character to one group while demonizing the other is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)

So here are my questions to child-free C-D members (parents are free to offer their input as well):

1. Should we establish and start celebrating Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day?

2. If no, then why not, and if yes, then what dates would you recommend?

By the way, we don't need congressional approval to establish celebratory days; all we need is our own approval, no one else's. I'll be gathering opinions and input from at least 20 – 30 other child-free forums, blogs, websites, etc. over the next couple of months as I would like to have a definitive answer no later than the end of this year .
No. I'm a happily childless woman, therefore, EVERY day is a celebration. I don't need to pick a special day. I'm happy because I don't have to worry about kids, pay for a babysitter to do anything special with my fiancee, avoid watching R rated movies, put off vacations or going out, rearrange work schedules, rearrange life schedules, or be unable to afford most things that I want, unlike many of the people I know with kids. Of course, everyone lives their life as they choose, and those couples with kids feel that the joy they get from their children is worth those trade-offs. But in my world, every day is Personal Freedom Day

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 05-15-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 02:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. I'm a happily childless woman, therefore, EVERY day is a celebration. I don't need to pick a special day. I'm happy because I don't have to worry about kids, pay for a babysitter to do anything special with my fiancee, avoid watching R rated movies, put off vacations or going out, rearrange work schedules, rearrange life schedules, or be unable to afford most things that I want, unlike many of the people I know with kids. Of course, everyone lives their life as they choose, and those couples with kids feel that the joy they get from their children is worth those trade-offs. But in my world, every day is Personal Freedom Day
Ok ...who dumped ya ?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Considering what human population pressure is doing to the planet, anything you can do to encourage less people on the planet is a good thing, IMHO. If you look at charts of the population increase in the past few generations, it's a pretty scary graph. Something needs to slow down the increase in population although it might already be too late.

However, I believe the bulk of the population growth is in the not-as-developed world, not sure why. Either because they don't need as much to have children or because they don't know how not to have children or perhaps children are beneficial to them. Kids might be their elder care system in a less developed country, I've not looked. But in a developed country, kids no longer are expected to take care of aged parents, nor to work and bring in income for the family, so overall they aren't as beneficial to the family unit as they were several generations ago.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Yes, although I think it should be Child-Free Adult Day!! (I think just one day will suffice.)

After all, these noble (or selfish, as the case may be) souls are saving the planet from even more overpopulation, and that means less pollution and more natural resources for the rest of humankind!

Woo-HOO!!

Old 05-15-2015, 03:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The point of mother's day and father's day is not to celebrate an attribute related to having/not having children. It is to celebrate what a mother or a father gives of themselves to their children. It also provides an opportunity for the children to express that. I'm not knocking being child-free, but what does that celebrate in and of itself?

Childfree people do give of themselves to friends, colleagues, pets, the environment, charities, etc. but that would be too many separate celebrations to lump together as one. And you would need to include people who are parents in those groups as well.
I agree. What about friend day or helpful neighbor day. The days we set aside are to honor people who do for others. It's people who appreciate what is done for them celebrating the people who do things for them. While I appreciate the fact that the childfree leave more for my kids by their decision I've also read their blogs calling my kids "flesh loaves" and "crotch droppings". I'm not inclined to celebrate people with this kind of attitude about the people I love. So I have to ask who is going to celebrate them?

Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Celebrate whatever you want. I won't be buying any of my child- free friends cards or gifts, though, just as they don't buy me cards. Mother's Day is special because as mothers, we have children, who shower us with gifts and love. Maybe your dogs will give you a card.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)

So here are my questions to child-free C-D members (parents are free to offer their input as well):

1. Should we establish and start celebrating Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day?

2. If no, then why not, and if yes, then what dates would you recommend?

By the way, we don't need congressional approval to establish celebratory days; all we need is our own approval, no one else's. I'll be gathering opinions and input from at least 20 – 30 other child-free forums, blogs, websites, etc. over the next couple of months as I would like to have a definitive answer no later than the end of this year .
1. No.

2. The reason that we don't need a childfree day is the fact that we can celebrate perks of being childfree anyday we want to more than once. The paycheck every two weeks? It is all yours and you don't have to buy diapers or pay for something your kid broke with it. Friends ask you out for a weekend at the beach? Pack up your car, go and no need to worry about finding a sitter. Tired after work and want to sleep at 6pm? Go for it, no kids to make dinner for.

Overall, I think society should give more respect and be less condescending of those who choose not to have children. Respect should be due for one who realizes their limitations would not allow them to be a good parent.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:13 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Celebrate whatever you want. I won't be buying any of my child- free friends cards or gifts, though, just as they don't buy me cards. Mother's Day is special because as mothers, we have children, who shower us with gifts and love. Maybe your dogs will give you a card.
You're making a big assumption with that statement, and sound rather resentful toward your childless cohorts. Having children doesn't mean there's love on either side, unfortunately. Having a child simply means one has procreated. Fulfilling a role as a parent is a very different thing than just being a mother/father. And many parents aren't biological. My sister has adoptive parents. They are better parents to her than our mother ever was, and definitely better to her than her absentee jerk of a "father."

Old 05-15-2015, 04:30 PM

125 posts, read 128,111 times
I think your mistaken in your belief that people think you are worthy of honoring. JMO I don't shoot heroin, do I get a holiday???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates