Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:53 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)

So here are my questions to child-free C-D members (parents are free to offer their input as well):

1. Should we establish and start celebrating Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day?

2. If no, then why not, and if yes, then what dates would you recommend?

By the way, we don't need congressional approval to establish celebratory days; all we need is our own approval, no one else's. I'll be gathering opinions and input from at least 20 – 30 other child-free forums, blogs, websites, etc. over the next couple of months as I would like to have a definitive answer no later than the end of this year .
No... what would the point of that be? We don't need to celebrate everything, do we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Sure why not!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
I think your mistaken in your belief that people think you are worthy of honoring. JMO I don't shoot heroin, do I get a holiday???
Hallmark Greeting cards wants you to have one!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
I made up my mind a long time ago, that if I didn't have kids by age 40, I would NOT have them, and it seemed a rare thing I would have a kid. I am ow well beyond 50.

The earth is overpopulated already, and the Chinese MAY have had the right idea.

I DO admit to missing an adult child, but I have an adopted adult niece/nephew and great nephews. They are enough. I skip the terrible twos, the in-betweens, and all the rest. I can send the great nephews home when I am tired of them!

I see no need for accolades for NOT having children. BUT IF they gave me a day to celebrate the fact that I chose NOT to procreate, I would bask in its glory.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Whatever works for ya.... Enjoy!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:49 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Those childfree people are soon to be "old orphans", with no one to advocate on their behalves as they slowly lose their marbles, their muscle control, and their lifestyle. Perhaps we can celebrate Old Orphans Day to honour those who will become a burden on society due to having no one to look after them, or advocate on their behalves.

We could have an Old Orphans Parade, where all the old orphans could march in a line around a couple of city blocks while people cheer.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Those childfree people are soon to be "old orphans", with no one to advocate on their behalves as they slowly lose their marbles, their muscle control, and their lifestyle. Perhaps we can celebrate Old Orphans Day to honour those who will become a burden on society due to having no one to look after them, or advocate on their behalves.

We could have an Old Orphans Parade, where all the old orphans could march in a line around a couple of city blocks while people cheer.
I don't think it is necessarily true that childless elderly people will always become a burden on society or that people with children never will. Everyone has heard stories of neglected parents in nursing homes whose sons and daughters never visit, or elders who are abused and taken advantage of by their children. It also sometimes happens that parents survive their children.

Older people without children know in advance that they won't have anyone to count on, so they can plan ahead for their care. They tend to have sufficient funds to make arrangements such as buying long-term care insurance or buying into a senior community with increasing levels of care if needed. And, of course, lots of people with or without children will never need custodial care in old age and/or wouldn't want relatives to care for them if they did.

Back to the topic, I am childfree and don't feel the need for a special holiday. Earth Day is the one holiday I think might be appropriate for childfree people to celebrate since we have done our bit to curb overpopulation.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 PM

351 posts, read 693,732 times
I don't know why there should be a separate day. It's not all about any single person in a family. It's not about those with kids. Everyone has a mother or a mother figure in their life. Same with a father or a father figure in their life. If someone does not have children, then they don't need to celebrate for themselves, but that childless person was born or raised by a parent or two, am I right? That's what mother's/father's day is all about.

I'm not childless, but my SIL and Aunt-in-law are and they are very happy that way. They get celebrated in their own way. My Aunt for being a Godmother and my SIL for just being an Aunt to my kids on mother's day. It may be bending the rules, but why not? Let them be recognized for their female role in the family. There's no rule book saying a person should not be acknowledged on a day not specifically designed for their lifestyle and family choices.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're making a big assumption with that statement, and sound rather resentful toward your childless cohorts. Having children doesn't mean there's love on either side, unfortunately. Having a child simply means one has procreated. Fulfilling a role as a parent is a very different thing than just being a mother/father. And many parents aren't biological. My sister has adoptive parents. They are better parents to her than our mother ever was, and definitely better to her than her absentee jerk of a "father."
I never implied that being a mother is only possible by biological mothers. That is your assumption.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:24 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I don't think it is necessarily true that childless elderly people will always become a burden on society or that people with children never will. Everyone has heard stories of neglected parents in nursing homes whose sons and daughters never visit, or elders who are abused and taken advantage of by their children. It also sometimes happens that parents survive their children.

Older people without children know in advance that they won't have anyone to count on, so they can plan ahead for their care. They tend to have sufficient funds to make arrangements such as buying long-term care insurance or buying into a senior community with increasing levels of care if needed. And, of course, lots of people with or without children will never need custodial care in old age and/or wouldn't want relatives to care for them if they did.

Back to the topic, I am childfree and don't feel the need for a special holiday. Earth Day is the one holiday I think might be appropriate for childfree people to celebrate since we have done our bit to curb overpopulation.
Not all old orphans will burden society, but a good many will. Old orphans can, and should, plan for their elder care.

Back to the topic. I have three children, each one to replace an existing adult. I have neither increased the population, nor added to the burden of the earth. I like to celebrate earth day, but more from the perspective of Mother Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates