Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,439 times

Advertisements

I think there have been PLENTY of studies that PROVE.... habitual animal abusers are also psychopaths, with potential of serial killers. Good chance of Mentally Ill, since they lack the *empathy* card.

Then you got the Vegan/PITA types.... any type of Animal killing is wrong? Well.... let's start with Deer Hunters, and explain the difference....

Deer Hunter #1..... I'm going to go out and kill 50 Deer today.... just because I can!!!!

Deer Hunter #2.... I'm going to hopefully kill 1 deer this season, because then my freezer will be full enough of meat to supply my family.

See the difference????

I'm ALLERGIC to bee/wasp stings. In otherwords... you better rush me to the hospital. Here's the deal... I'm an all time fav of gardening. I truly understand their place in this world, pollinating plants/crops.

When they are OUTSIDE pollinating my plants/crops, they have my full respect. The minute they are INSIDE MY HOME... I will kill them! They invaded my territory, which risks my life. It's survival of the fittest!

They attack me for invading their territory. I attack them for invading my territory. Got it????

I get sooooo sick and tired of people DEMANDING I release a spider to the outdoors. UMMMM.... it's a Brown Recluse Spider! NO I"M NOT GOING TO BE FRIENDLY! If I lived in California, I would be killing off the Black Widows in my home too! (and the rattlers and scorpions).

There's the difference between *THRILL* KILLINGS vs *survival of the fittest* killings. Agree? Discuss?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 03:55 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
I think it has been pretty well established that those who abuse or kill animals in their late childhood and teens have a higher possibility of being sociopathic. Then again, even Hitler had a dog which he was reportedly quite fond of. This doesn't really surprise me though, since sociopaths, narcissists, etc. have an overwhelming desire for control and it's pretty easy to control an eager to please dog.

If others are present, a sociopath nay try to cover up their true motive by saying, "I shot that dog because it was rabid," when actually the pooch was perfectly healthy and presented no threat. I am a major animal lover (although PETA is a bit far out there for me), and I will actually put a spider outside if I can (widows and brown recluses get sprayed or flushed down the toilet, though). And when you stop and think about it, anyone who eats meat is an animal killer. Those nice plastic wrapped steaks at the supermarket were once a perfectly happy cow grazing in a meadow somewhere. If I buy that steak, my money is going to support a network of animal killers from the rancher to the feedlot to the slaughterhouse. Sad, but true. People who would never dream of killing Bambi's Mom have no problem digging into a nice prime roast. Go figure.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
I knew a child who strangled some rabbits at age 4 and progressively got more aggressive. I think the world is lucky that at age 14 he was paralyzed from the waist down in a car wreck. I think it saved some lives.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:42 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,637 times
Yes, I believe all ranchers, slaughterhouse workers and butchers are also psychopaths as they fall under this.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I knew a child who strangled some rabbits at age 4 and progressively got more aggressive. I think the world is lucky that at age 14 he was paralyzed from the waist down in a car wreck. I think it saved some lives.
Wow...no kidding.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure;39680552[QUOTE
]
I get sooooo sick and tired of people DEMANDING I release a spider to the outdoors.

?
Op, who in your life gets bent out of shape if you kill a poisoned spider. Any spider for that matter? I mean, unless you are pulling their legs off...

Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,439 times
From what I can tell, it seems to be the NEW religion of Pagans? Yes, we believe in a God, just not the Organized Religion version of God. We need to be Stewards of Planet Earth. Spiders are one of God's creatures! We need to Save Planet Earth!

Don't get me wrong. I actually consider myself to be a treehugger (of sorts). I will be the 1st one to scream of the toxic ABC soups we are dumping on the Planet (NO I do NOT believe in AG Global Warming), but I am very much against the toxic soup pollution of air, land and water.

I'm not real happy about the many species going extinct, just during MY lifetime.

But EGADS... it's a SPIDER! and it's in MY HOME!

These are the same people that have no problem eating MEAT at the grocery store.... and hilariously enough... they have NO PROBLEM KILLING COCKROACHES!!!!

So because I kill spiders in my own home, that makes me a potential psychopath? Because I just spent the last 3 days declaring WAR on an ant invasion of my property (all this rain is making indoor invasions ugly)... because I will insecticide my tiny little yard to prevent fleas, ticks, ants, and whatever else... to make my life and my pets lives safer....

Now I'm magically a Mother Earth Hater? UGH!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 PM

OP. I admit. I don't kill spiders. I let them out. I eat meat and I kill cockroaches...lol
But I wouldn't judge you

Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Animal ABUSE is a sign of socio- or psychopathic tendencies. Strangling baby rabbits with your bare hands would qualify, as would ripping the wings off flies or legs off spiders just to watch them struggle.

Stepping on a spider in your house? Not even close. Spraying pesticides to stop an active ant invasion? Nope.

Some extremist types would make the same claim about people who choose to kill their own animals (hunting) instead of buying the little pre-wrapped and sanitized packages in the grocery store, but that's ridiculous.

If someone pays for the right to execute an animal destined for slaughter anyway, that's potentially a sign. If someone kills animals just to do it and leaves the carcass to rot, or has the carcass preserved so they can hang it in their house, that's potentially a sign. If you find someone intentionally wounding a deer, tracking it down, then slowly killing it with a knife (Dexter)... that's pretty sick and definitely a sign.

But I see no ethical difference between killing an animal to eat or other use with an appropriate weapon vs. hiring someone else to do it for you.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
I have had the unique experience of working in the criminal justice system with violent offenders. Quite a few of them had a history of abusing animals prior to their crimes against other people. I have read articles and spoken with others in the CJ field about this, and it's pretty well accepted that some people who abuse animals have no compunction about going on to abuse other people. In fact, the 'serial killer triad' includes animal abuse as one of the three common past behviors often exhibited by serial killers--the other two are fire-setting and bedwetting FYI.

I am vegetarian but don't personally have a problem with what anybody else wants to eat, meat or otherwise. There is a big difference between the hunter who goes out and takes down a deer to have some venison to feed his/her family...or simply because he or she likes the taste of venison better than the meats one can buy in the grocery store. I personally know a hunter who feels that commercially raised meat is unethical and prefers to hunt down his own. Contrast this to the person who goes out and decides to set a stray dog or cat on fire 'just for the fun of it'. In the case of the second person, there is some serious pathology.

I personally catch and release spiders that I find in my house, but some people are not comfortable getting up close and personal with arachnids! The only one that really gave me a start was a black widow I found as a teen in a garage...I took a lengthy walk with her in a sealed glass jar and relocated her a LOOONG way from the family house! I don't really see an issue with a quick and humane kill...I just can't personally do it. If someone is seriously allergic to wasps/bees and one gets in the house, then I can understand having to swat it so you don't get stung and end up having an anaphylactic reaction and risking dying over it. I don't think that the actions of stepping on the spider or swatting the wasp would make one 'psycopathic' since you are not trying to torture the animals in any kind of way.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be extremists that you will have trying to tell you what to do or demonize your actions. You really don't sound like a cruel or psychopathic person at all, so I wouldn't worry about their opinions. It is people like them that give the rest of us in the animal welfare movement a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates