Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 AM

349 posts, read 489,269 times

Advertisements

I know pop culture doesn't accurate reflect everyone in a nation - let alone the 320 million in a nation as diverse as the United States - but it's of course very secular, and perhaps because Hollywood, NY.etc is dominated by the less religious and at least outwardly 'left wing' liberal media it might appear the US is less religious than it is. Yet I've heard about how religious is, not just the Bible Belt but much of the Midwest. I think stats on belief in God, heaven, hell, church attendance does show the US as more religious than other first world western countries, it doesn't strike me as a really religious country overall where most of the people practice much of their religion in their daily lives. In terms of Christian countries a country like Uganda strikes me as much moreso. It seems for a lot of Americans money is still the God they figuratively worship.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 AM

27,596 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
I know pop culture doesn't accurate reflect everyone in a nation - let alone the 320 million in a nation as diverse as the United States - but it's of course very secular, and perhaps because Hollywood, NY.etc is dominated by the less religious and at least outwardly 'left wing' liberal media it might appear the US is less religious than it is. Yet I've heard about how religious is, not just the Bible Belt but much of the Midwest. I think stats on belief in God, heaven, hell, church attendance does show the US as more religious than other first world western countries, it doesn't strike me as a really religious country overall where most of the people practice much of their religion in their daily lives. In terms of Christian countries a country like Uganda strikes me as much moreso. It seems for a lot of Americans money is still the God they figuratively worship.
Generally speaking, the more liberal areas of the U.S. are less outwardly religious and more pluralistic. These include the northeast and west coast and many other urban areas.

The more conservative areas of the U.S. are more traditionally Christian - the bible belt, much of the midwest and many other rural areas. So, it depends on where you're talking about.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:37 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,940 times
Honestly, I don't think it is. unless you mean in a very personally spiritual or individual way, then probably yes.

What I mean by that is, I think it's used as a moral pedestal more than some sort of passage for making a positive life or something. I was on a Greyhound in Florida awhile ago and I saw some guy actually preaching to another passenger about Christianity. Like, actually trying to sell the guy on it in a very serious way. I've never seen that in my life before.

And just how it appears in media and politics. How can it be okay or legal to be expected to say things like "God bless America" in a technically secular country? Or mention God in public funded addresses and ceremonies, etc.

It seems to me like you can actually use religious reasoning to shape politics and law in the USA (i.e. abortion issue, creationism in education...), so I don't see how in that sense it's exaggerated. Even if you say that big Northeastern cities and California are not so out about it, they still seem to get trapped in this overall type of jurisdiction shaped by the rest of the USA, so to me personally, it doesn't make so much of a difference.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM

514 posts, read 471,334 times
The prosperity gospel dominates in the U.S. I think hermeneutically strict Christians who take their spirituality very seriously have always been rare and that proportion hasn't really changed much over time.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 AM

520 posts, read 532,766 times
Its a good question, I tend not to dwell on that macro level stuff myself because really this is a land of basically individual rights to the furthest extent of any country in my opinion. So there are people that believe and dont believe just about anything, and what difference does it make in my life if others are religious or of a particular religion? None.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,293,665 times
Yes it is exaggerated. The exaggeration of religiosity is used as a tool by the Left to marginalize those who disagree with them.

Case in point: I oppose abortion because I believe it is the termination of a human, not because I believe it goes against god's will. The lefties would simply declare me a religious zealot.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes it is exaggerated. The exaggeration of religiosity is used as a tool by the Left to marginalize those who disagree with them.

Case in point: I oppose abortion because I believe it is the termination of a human, not because I believe it goes against god's will. The lefties would simply declare me a religious zealot.
Tthe people I know who oppose abortion in Canada are in both camps. Some for religious reasons, some for the same reason you are against it.
I for one, if I were a woman, would not have an abortion, unless medically needed, since I believe it is ending a possible life that has started.

The difference, I find, in Canada though, is that regardless on what you believe, we don't believe that I should be making the decision for another person. Hence I am pro-choice, but personally would not choose to have one.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Going my experiences in the US, it REALLY depends where you are. Overall though, I do find Americans tend to wear their religion on their sleeves, more so, than here at home. Especially in politics. It's almost impossible for a US president not to be seen as devout in some way.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:20 PM

26 posts, read 38,448 times
America is so massive in population, it's hard to generalize. Depends where. The American South. No, it's not exaggerated. It's called the 'Bible Belt'. New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco? They aren't religious.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,922 times
America is definitely a lot less religious than it was in 1990, or even the year 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.