Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times

Advertisements

canada = Rob ford ... no thanks
why did america not take over canada .. we dont want it ...

Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
The only reason Canada "may" be better than the USA...they got rid of Justin Bieber!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:10 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
all seriousness aside .. during the revolutionary war we asked France to help us and they said " what`s in it for us ? " we said if you help us defeat the British we will give you canada ... they thought for a minute and said " canada " year round below zero temps .. up to our necks in snow and ice .. nuthin to do but play ice hockey " ........ ok we`ll take it .. beats what we have at home ....... HA !!!!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Well folks, as I predicted to myself as I posted this, the results have been interesting, but in many ways, very predictable.

The majority of the respondents didn't actually READ the magazine article. And it shows in their remarks.

I expected to be ridiculed, insulted and called names, and it sure did happen. I was even called a "preening nationalist " what ever that means ?

A FEW people actually read the article, AND made sensible replies to this thread. Note I said a few.

Where to start ?

For the guy who asked "how many people cross your border and live off the system " ? A few, but unlike the US, Canada actually enforces our Immigration laws. Here in Canada, just about any day to day interaction requires proof of your citizenship, or Immigration status. Want to get a job? Show us your photo ID card, and your work permit . Rent a place to live ? Same thing, Register your child at a school. Show us your passport, and or your Immigration ID card. Get health care......... show us your Provincial photo ID card, and let us scan it before you see the MD. Get a DL, prove your Immigration status in Canada. That comes under a Federal law, that applies in all parts of Canada. ...

Jim B.
Do you have any idea how often people get crucified in the media and by groups like the ACLU and by many of the liberal elitists when they support those same positions you mentioned in the quote? Forget about the many lawsuits that have been brought against states like Arizona, that are quick to label as racist any attempt to enforce similar ID laws. How does Canada handle cases of Muslim women claiming a right to have photo ID taken while wearing a full face burka?
You may prefer the more "progressive" nature of Canadians, but our progressives have made it a goal to block those immigration and ID laws you support up north.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know if you're Canadian or American, but, regardless, your views of Canadians are very simplistic and naive.

Canadians are EVERY BIT as materialistic as Americans, and are just as addicted to shopping. And if you ARE Canadian, the reason you say you know all about the Duggars and the Kardashians, is because Canadians watch all the same (American) garbage movies and TV shows that Americans watch (at least the garbage that Americans watch is THEIR OWN garbage). Moreover, Canadians are able to do all that TV watching, because they're sitting on their duffs as much as Americans do theirs.
The post was just my feeble attempt at humor, I guess I should have used some smilies. I'm American and have spent little time in Canada, but am impressed with what I've read of it in modern times, once they got past the abuse of natives. I like the peaceful attitudes, the compassion shown by a universal health care system and other adequate safety nets, the safer and more stable financial system ..... and I simply hope that their news channels aren't full of celebrity gossip and sex scandals while stashing a few token stories about important international events after the headlines - but I don't know for sure, as I've never watched them. I've been assuming that because of what I've seen of Canadian cultural values which I see as superior to American, at least in a very general way.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-12-2015 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 06-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Do you have any idea how often people get crucified in the media and by groups like the ACLU and by many of the liberal elitists when they support those same positions you mentioned in the quote? Forget about the many lawsuits that have been brought against states like Arizona, that are quick to label as racist any attempt to enforce similar ID laws. How does Canada handle cases of Muslim women claiming a right to have photo ID taken while wearing a full face burka?
You may prefer the more "progressive" nature of Canadians, but our progressives have made it a goal to block those immigration and ID laws you support up north.
The reason immigration laws are not enforced in this country is not because of progressives and liberals for the most part, but because the 1% of rich business owners want illegals to come here, because they work for lower wages and longer hours often without breaks, take care of any health problems at emergency rooms, don't demand workplace safety, and don't agitate for pensions.

The 1% who do that, often publicly agree with anti-immigrant sentiments to get votes, though privately they are likely to bribe state legislators to allow it. IMO.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The reason immigration laws are not enforced in this country is not because of progressives and liberals for the most part, but because the 1% of rich business owners want illegals to come here, because they work for lower wages and longer hours often without breaks, take care of any health problems at emergency rooms, don't demand workplace safety, and don't agitate for pensions.

The 1% who do that, often publicly agree with anti-immigrant sentiments to get votes, though privately they are likely to bribe state legislators to allow it. IMO.
Those crummy 1%er's. Darn them for creating jobs!
BTW, speaking for myself, I have never witnessed jobs being created by poor people.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
I read the article in the initial post and it is largely true. Canada provides a better overall quality of life for its citizens than the USA. Though clearly there are some natural advantages Canada has over the USA in this regard.

One thing the USA clearly has that trumps Canada is regions with better (warmer) weather.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:29 PM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Those crummy 1%er's. Darn them for creating jobs!
BTW, speaking for myself, I have never witnessed jobs being created by poor people.
Not for charity, the 1%ers create those jobs but, as consumers, the poor sustain them. When the right realizes that the working class are every bit, if not more, of an asset to our economy as the job creators, we can get back to a healthy, sustainable economy instead of this one direction recovery we have now.

To the OP, you're confusing a guidance counselor with a schoolyard bully. I'd have no problem discussing the issues of which we can learn from Canada with someone who is genuinely interested in our well-being. I have no interest in discussing (and wasting my time) discussing those issues with a crowing schoolyard bully.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Haakon.

Would this be a good time to point out that...............

Everyone, not just Americans, MUST apply and be approved to come to Canada as Immigrants......

Being approved is not that easy. Canada has high standards, and many Americans don`t meet them. It takes a 4 year University degree, AND three years of actual working experience.....OR being a State certified skilled trades person, with 3 years of actual working experience. No criminal convictions, and they must pass the medical and have a minimum of $20k in the bank, to support them self, for the first year here in Canada. No bankruptcies, and no large debts in the US, either.

Low education, no actual working skills and no savings are the most common reasons why many US citizens can`t qualify to come here.

Can you see now why not that many Americans can QUALIFY to come to Canada. It`s NOT a matter of just loading up the car and driving north. The application process to become a Permanent Resident takes at least two years to be approved, and of course, no body is guaranteed acceptance. Many are rejected for a wide range of reasons.

We are picky about who we accept here. Don`t you wish your country was , too.........

Jim B.
I take it you have no clue how difficult it is for anyone to move to the US from another country. And expensive. $20,000? That's a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.