Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 AM

424 posts, read 381,648 times

Advertisements

I agree, especially with the health care costs, they spend half as much on health care AND they probably never have to wait months to receive treatment..... greedy healthcare companies / higher ups and lack of government action has really screwed the healthcare system here to where it is pretty much a bad joke.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I like a lot of what Canada does, in fact I'd like to see us emulate much of it rather than trying to be Europe, which has a vastly different geography and history. One thing I will say though is a super power has to make decisions that a Canada or Switzerland don't have to make mostly being on the sidelines. The world's police makes decisions every day about how to interactive with the rest of the world, like how to promote countries whose values we like and punish countries who we feel are bad. Every power in history has had similar problems with this. You can never make every decision right.

I hate a whole lot of America's foreign policy post WW2, but would the world be better now had Russia (USSR) or China or a victorious Nazi Germany made all those decisions?

I agree with this, many Americans get tired of the whole "world police" burden. The whole reason we cannot walk away from it is just as you said, do we want China or Russia doing it?? Also everyone forgets we are not doing it alone, we do it in concurrence with the other NATO powers including Canada. We just happen to be the biggest one so we get the blame for all these foreign policy issues even though most of the major western powers are behind it all. Funny to see citizens of those other NATO nations criticizing us for it when they are also on the same team per say. I sure wish we could just let Britain do it again.

Not sure what the point of this list was, but some of it has valid points, some does not. Some of it is just political, citing our more conservative nature, opposition to gay marriage and single payer healthcare. I think sometimes Canadians forget that the US is so very different from region to region. Some areas of the US would be every bit as liberal or even more so than most of Canada, while others are exactly what they think it is. Also tornados are really focused between the Rocky mountains and the Appalachian mountains. The coastal areas of the US see no more twisters than does most of Canada. Does the list upset me? Not at all, a bit of friendly ribbing from our brothers up north is no big deal. They have to deal with ours as well. One thing I did not see on their list that should be there. Their beer is so much better than ours. US beer is very similar to goat urine.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 AM

60 posts, read 142,872 times
Some of those points are true. Others are just stupid opinions like "We accept homosexuality". In my opinion, that's one reason to hate Canada.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Canadians pay 60 percent of what Americans do for health? That's actually a lot. Do people bankrupt from medical costs there too, just not as often?
Actually no as you get your healthcare coverage whether you are working or not from cradle to grave.
As for cost? when i was working my payroll deductions came to around $30 a paycheck for the private insurance aspect of our healthcare,what part of my federal and provincial income tax went to the main healthcare system i have no way of knowing as it wasnt itemized.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I agree with most of the article, but that's because of my personal values that may not be shared by others.

Americans are good at eating a wide variety of synthetic foods, shopping a lot and getting the latest toys and gadgets, invading small third world countries, and redistributing wealth from the 99% to the 1%. We know all about the sexual diddlings of pubescent Duggars and teachers, mostly seem to know a lot about a Kardashian family, and are good at basketball.
I don't know if you're Canadian or American, but, regardless, your views of Canadians are very simplistic and naive.

Canadians are EVERY BIT as materialistic as Americans, and are just as addicted to shopping. And if you ARE Canadian, the reason you say you know all about the Duggars and the Kardashians, is because Canadians watch all the same (American) garbage movies and TV shows that Americans watch (at least the garbage that Americans watch is THEIR OWN garbage). Moreover, Canadians are able to do all that TV watching, because they're sitting on their duffs as much as Americans do theirs.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-07-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
If Canada is so much better than the US, then why are Canadians flocking to the US?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
For the guy who asked "how many people cross your border and live off the system " ? A few, but unlike the US, Canada actually enforces our Immigration laws. Here in Canada, just about any day to day interaction requires proof of your citizenship, or Immigration status. Want to get a job? Show us your photo ID card, and your work permit . Rent a place to live ? Same thing, Register your child at a school. Show us your passport, and or your Immigration ID card. Get health care......... show us your Provincial photo ID card, and let us scan it before you see the MD. Get a DL, prove your Immigration status in Canada. That comes under a Federal law, that applies in all parts of Canada.

It is obvious to me that the employers in the USA, WANT to have millions of illegals available as cheap manual labor. Canada has had a `seasonal worker program `for over 30 years, that sees Mexican and other central American nationals come to Canada, to work legally, for up to six months. They apply, and after being investigated, they come to Canada to work. And they go HOME at the end of their visa, and can apply next year, again. They are treated well here, make the same wages as any other farm labour worker, and are covered for health insurance, paid for by their employer, while in Canada. It meets the needs of the Canadian farmers, and the workers, too.

Canada also has a express entry system, that matches educated and experienced foreign applicants with Canadian employers who need to fill vacancies quickly. This newly introduced program is set up to get applicants to Canada, with full employment, in under six months. The applicants are required to take and pass a language test, in either English or French, that tests their reading, writing, and speaking abilities. That test requires a 70 percent pass mark. Obviously they also have to pass the security and background checks, and the financial and credit checks as well as the medical examination. All of those costs are borne by the applicant.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-12-2015 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
I'm married to a Canadian and this is how we pass the time on cold winter nights, arguing over the superiority of our respective homelands. My wife is from, where else, Toronto; which is what people really mean when they say "Canada" since most of that large nation is mainly a vast emptiness full of coal tar, mosquitoes, trees and little else.

Toronto has grown on me I must say. The central public library is better than anything in New York. The biking culture and driving culture are far superior. It's sort of a big multicultural Portland...same England-derived SWPL values. The urban youth call it "Tee Dot" and imagine that they live in a dangerous metropolis instead of a creche for twee etsyites and a rentable backdrop for movies supposedly taking place in real cities.

My wife sees America as a place chock a block with cocky, selfish, volatile, violent cowboys. Ruthless, cutthroat, unpleasant, competitive. "Why'd ya marry one then" I ask her and she blushes charmingly.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:39 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post

There is a group of people that keep holding us back and prevent us from achieving the same greatness as Canada. And they do so through fear mongering. I would love to live there!
Yes, but the liberals just refuse to move to Canada even though they want the US to become Canada. If they did and took their urban issues (violent crime, low performing schools and so on) with them the US would regain much of it's lost greatness.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Haakon.

Would this be a good time to point out that...............

Everyone, not just Americans, MUST apply and be approved to come to Canada as Immigrants......

Being approved is not that easy. Canada has high standards, and many Americans don`t meet them. It takes a 4 year University degree, AND three years of actual working experience.....OR being a State certified skilled trades person, with 3 years of actual working experience. No criminal convictions, and they must pass the medical and have a minimum of $20k in the bank, to support them self, for the first year here in Canada. No bankruptcies, and no large debts in the US, either.

Low education, no actual working skills and no savings are the most common reasons why many US citizens can`t qualify to come here.

Can you see now why not that many Americans can QUALIFY to come to Canada. It`s NOT a matter of just loading up the car and driving north. The application process to become a Permanent Resident takes at least two years to be approved, and of course, no body is guaranteed acceptance. Many are rejected for a wide range of reasons.

We are picky about who we accept here. Don`t you wish your country was , too.........

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates