Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:42 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Yes yes!! The conservative American attitude is "I've got mine, I'm not going to share, you worry about and take care of yourself (unless you've got something I need, then that's mine too)." They seem to prefer giving their money to a multibillion dollar corporation than a poor person who can barely feed their family, all while touting Christian values .
You have to understand the root word of "conservative" - conserve.

There is a big difference between "I've got mine, I'm not going to share" vs. "I already pay enough, if I pay more make sure it's not wasted".

I'm a hard working member of society that's somewhere in the top 2-5% of earners. I'm not rich, I pay my taxes (I hate hearing "pay your fair share" when I pay more than most in % and $). I give to charity. Why should I give more when I see a lot of money wasted by Congress?

One problem I do admit exists is that you have fiscal conservatives generally also being social conservatives. Fiscal liberals are also social liberals. So you can't have a broader social safety net while simultaneously cracking down hard on illegal immigration whose US-born offspring benefits from SNAP, Section 8, etc.

As justanokie points out, Canada benefits in many ways from the umbrella of US defense spending, so it can spend more on other things like healthcare. While spread out, it also has a fraction of the infrastructure to support - a ribbon across the country instead of a woven net.

And Canada's healthcare isn't a panacea either. My aforementioned relative with MS doesn't have most of her medication covered and she has to pay hundreds of dollars a month out of pocket. Some medications she'd like to take but they're not covered by the provincial plan at all and are outrageously expensive - and she moved to Alberta from BC because BC was cutting back so much it was hard to survive. So much for "sharing". Maybe I should fund a Kickstarter campaign for her in addition to any help I already provide.

The problem with any one opinion, unless you've lived in both places, is that it's a biased and ignorant opinion. For anyone in the US to comment about Canada and vice versa without spending a significant amount of time there is pure drivel. I will even admit that many of my Canadian experiences are extremely dated now. I used to joke years ago (when I had more basic health coverage) that if I got seriously hurt just drag me over the Rainbow Bridge and drop me at the hospital in Niagara Falls. Nowadays with OHIP requirements you can't just show up anymore, even if you're a citizen.

Having said that, I do like the concept of the Canadian social safety net. I'm just not sure how it'll work in a US constitutional framework with 10x the population. I'd support slightly higher taxes if I knew it was efficiently utilized. If the constitution was changed to no longer Mexican anchor babies to drop out and then rope in all their relatives who pay little to no federal income tax.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:57 PM

230 posts, read 526,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is a sad post IMO. First being American does not "suck" and whether or not other people like us has nothing to do with our quality of life and national pride. Second being Canadian does not "pale in comparison to being European". Ive been up to Canada countless times and never have seen anything wrong with it, nor have I seen drastic difference from the US. No reason to feel inferior to Europe or the US either. Also having been to Europe I do not see being European as being superior to being North American.(either Canadian or US) nothing against Europe as I loved being there, but they have their qualities and we have ours. Not to mention our North American culture sprung from Europe so it is not radically different either, especially the British.
Ok being american does suck, and it's not only because the rest of the world realizes how retarded this country is. Speaking of the quality of life here, it sucks.

The u.s. has the highest incarceration rate in the world by far and to add salt to the wound, it's a for profit system.

The u.s. has waay more poverty and homelessness than any other country in the developed world. Way less of a social safety net compared to other developed nations.

Education here is a joke compared to other first world nations. Not only is it lacking in quality, and the u.s. ranks low compared to students elsewhere, but also student debt here is outrageous. Countries like Denmark and Germany are more sensible where post secondary education is free. Germany even offers it free to foreign students.

americans should not be so proud as this country has a lot of issues and a lot of work to do.

The government is the worst in the western world. It's an international bully that uses it's superior manpower to push around smaller less powerful countries. The Afghanistan and Iraq wars were not necessary, not just to those Afghani and Iraqi citizens that died, but also the american soldiers that died also. And americans are foolish enough to believe these wars are fought in the name of freedom?? Please, get real, I can't believe they bought that.

And as much Canada is better than the states, it DOES pale in comparison to being European. Education is better and cheaper than the u.s. but still not as good or cheap as most European nations. The crime rate in most European countries is lower than that of Canada and the u.s. Most European countries have legalized prostitution. Canada has it as well although more limited than in Europe.

Canada is the same as the u.s. culturally but is better in many aspects: lower crime rate, universal health care, better paid public sector jobs, less poverty and homelessness, more attention given to other political parties, etc.

Europe and UK are far more progressive than u.s and even Canada which is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Having the "advantage" of being both, and having traveled extensively on both passports, I can say that it does not matter. One bit. Unless of course one goes about worrying about how they're perceived instead of just being themselves.

Could you elaborate more on "Canadians are more free"? "More liked" is a subjective thing but the other part of your comment can be addressed more objectively.
Again as I said previously, Canada and the states are very similar culturally but Canada is better in a lot of ways that I stated above.

Canadians are more free because they have universal healthcare, better and more affordable education, legalized prostitution, and the Canadian passport will get you more than the u.s. passport will. Young Canadians up to age 30 have the ability to go on working holiday in most European countries, while americans do not (except for Ireland as of just recently). Canadians can go to Cuba legally. For americans, that's finally changing, but up until now if you wanted to go, you had to sneak through Mexico or don't go at all.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
You mean like the borders are closed to illegal drugs?

Concentrated in the city with some of the strictest gun control
Actually, border security has gotten stronger and more effective during the Obama administration.

Fewer immigrants are being caught crossing U.S.-Mexico border - LA Times

Secondly, you missed the point. The point is that if gun control laws didn't work, people wouldn't have to leave the state to obtain their weapons. It's much harder to get a gun in the city of Chicago, so they resort to going to (mostly) RED states with lighter laws to get their guns, then return to Chicago. If Illinois was put into a bubble, half the guns would disappear.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:44 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
You have to understand the root word of "conservative" - conserve.

There is a big difference between "I've got mine, I'm not going to share" vs. "I already pay enough, if I pay more make sure it's not wasted".

I'm a hard working member of society that's somewhere in the top 2-5% of earners. I'm not rich, I pay my taxes (I hate hearing "pay your fair share" when I pay more than most in % and $). I give to charity. Why should I give more when I see a lot of money wasted by Congress?

One problem I do admit exists is that you have fiscal conservatives generally also being social conservatives. Fiscal liberals are also social liberals. So you can't have a broader social safety net while simultaneously cracking down hard on illegal immigration whose US-born offspring benefits from SNAP, Section 8, etc.

As justanokie points out, Canada benefits in many ways from the umbrella of US defense spending, so it can spend more on other things like healthcare. While spread out, it also has a fraction of the infrastructure to support - a ribbon across the country instead of a woven net.

And Canada's healthcare isn't a panacea either. My aforementioned relative with MS doesn't have most of her medication covered and she has to pay hundreds of dollars a month out of pocket. Some medications she'd like to take but they're not covered by the provincial plan at all and are outrageously expensive - and she moved to Alberta from BC because BC was cutting back so much it was hard to survive. So much for "sharing". Maybe I should fund a Kickstarter campaign for her in addition to any help I already provide.

The problem with any one opinion, unless you've lived in both places, is that it's a biased and ignorant opinion. For anyone in the US to comment about Canada and vice versa without spending a significant amount of time there is pure drivel. I will even admit that many of my Canadian experiences are extremely dated now. I used to joke years ago (when I had more basic health coverage) that if I got seriously hurt just drag me over the Rainbow Bridge and drop me at the hospital in Niagara Falls. Nowadays with OHIP requirements you can't just show up anymore, even if you're a citizen.

Having said that, I do like the concept of the Canadian social safety net. I'm just not sure how it'll work in a US constitutional framework with 10x the population. I'd support slightly higher taxes if I knew it was efficiently utilized. If the constitution was changed to no longer Mexican anchor babies to drop out and then rope in all their relatives who pay little to no federal income tax.

I know the root of the word and that's the problem. The world and the people in it change and we can't sit still and watch it happen, we have to evolve with it. Pretty much everything good that has happened in and moved this country forward was brought on by liberals and fought against by conservatives.

I don't like my tax dollars wasted either! I want them spent on healthcare for everyone, quality education for every child, protecting our environment, improving infrastructure, and providing jobs! NOT on an insane amount of military defense and politicians' salaries. That is where the waste is and that is where conservative politicians spend our money.

Conservatives are adamantly against raising the minimum wage. They are also adamantly against food stamps and other welfare programs. You can't have it both ways. If you do, people will starve and/or work themselves to death. They blame liberals for "wasting" money feeding people, yet RED states take in more federal funding for these programs than most blue ones, because they have lower incomes and higher poverty rates. Yet, these people on food stamps vote against themselves in the name of abortions and gay marriage. That is what I meant by one part my statement. "It's okay if I use food stamps, but I don't want anyone else wasting them, because THOSE people are takers."

The other part is that conservatives don't want to raise taxes for pretty much any reason. They don't want to share their earnings and put them into programs like healthcare to help others, "I got mine, you go get your own." It doesn't work that way and other countries have proven this. We seem to be caught in limbo right now and if we aren't careful, they'll push us off the cliff!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Let's take these points one by one.

"Canadians are more free because they have universal healthcare"

Universal doesn't necessarily mean better quality of care, or better outcomes. Why do so many Canadians, those who can afford it, come to the US for high stage cancer treatment? I will say that for cases that are acute (like treatment for a heart attack, a broken bone, etc.) that both the US and Canada will provide similar outcomes over a range from sufficient to excellent.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, acute care is excellent. For non-urgent cases it's often very lacking. If I knew I had a slow growing tumor growing inside me would I be content waiting for 6 months to schedule treatment because there was a waiting list or would I want to start treatment next week?

"better and more affordable education"

When you say "better" are you meaning at the elementary, secondary or tertiary level? I'd argue that my kids' public schools are extremely affordable, as they are free. It's also very high quality. If you mean at the university level please provide proof that it's better. I won't debate affordability and will concede that point if a student doesn't get a full ride scholarship. I will also admit that school districts can vary in quality in the US, but I don't think that Canadian public schools are totally equal as well, unless things have changed in the past 20 years.

"legalized prostitution"

Not sure why that's a plus, but you probably forgot about C-36 that came into effect last December. It considers all sex workers to be "exploited" and therefore seeks to stamp it out. Try and hire a prostitute but don't be surprised if you're arrested.

By the way, in parts of Nevada prostitution is legal.

"the Canadian passport will get you more than the u.s. passport will"

Not sure what this means. If you mean admittance to specific countries like North Korea or Cuba I'll concede that. I have both passports and find their utility equal. One thing where the US passport is superior is that it's good for 10 years. This whole 5 year renewal thing with the Canadian passport is ridiculous (and 2 years for kids!?!). I have traveled to over 30 countries, first on my Canadian passport, and then on my American one (which is my primary now). Never an issue with either.

"Young Canadians up to age 30 have the ability to go on working holiday in most European countries, while americans do not (except for Ireland as of just recently)."

Fair point. That's a cultural thing with ties to the Commonwealth that the US doesn't have. I never took advantage of it myself because I was focused on growing my career. Now if I want to take a holiday anywhere I can easily afford it.

"Canadians can go to Cuba legally. For americans, that's finally changing, but up until now if you wanted to go, you had to sneak through Mexico or don't go at all."

True, a US citizen cannot go to Cuba. They can, however, go to the Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Barbados, Antigua, St. Maarten, Aruba, etc. etc. Not sure how this is a big plus when I bet most Canadians don't go to Cuba.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Conservatives are adamantly against raising the minimum wage. They are also adamantly against food stamps and other welfare programs.
I would consider myself to be fiscally conservative. I have no issue with raising the minimum wage to a point where it's on par at its highest buying power (late 1960's I believe) and then indexing it to inflation.

However, as a business person, I can't see the justification for paying a burger flipper $15 an hour. All that does is inflate other wages (do you think that the manager, who makes $15 an hour now will be content?)

Food stamps and welfare are a necessary evil. If you don't have guaranteed employment you will always have people who need help. I do think it needs appropriate oversight, and there are many cases of corruption and misuse.

The problem in my eyes is that if you make things more generous, it encourages more illegal immigration. While the federal government says that illegals aren't eligible for SNAP and Section 8, anchor babies are eligible for assistance as they are citizens.

Countries with even more generous plans than Canada - like Sweden - have strict immigration policies with cultural and language requirements. Where the US has failed is in doing what Canada did - establish official language(s). But because you have to speak, read and write English to become a Citizen, the government will provide services in a ton of other languages but it discourages people to assimilate and then pursue citizenship.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Ok being american does suck, and it's not only because the rest of the world realizes how retarded this country is. Speaking of the quality of life here, it sucks.

The u.s. has the highest incarceration rate in the world by far and to add salt to the wound, it's a for profit system.

The u.s. has waay more poverty and homelessness than any other country in the developed world. Way less of a social safety net compared to other developed nations.

Education here is a joke compared to other first world nations. Not only is it lacking in quality, and the u.s. ranks low compared to students elsewhere, but also student debt here is outrageous. Countries like Denmark and Germany are more sensible where post secondary education is free. Germany even offers it free to foreign students.

americans should not be so proud as this country has a lot of issues and a lot of work to do.

The government is the worst in the western world. It's an international bully that uses it's superior manpower to push around smaller less powerful countries. The Afghanistan and Iraq wars were not necessary, not just to those Afghani and Iraqi citizens that died, but also the american soldiers that died also. And americans are foolish enough to believe these wars are fought in the name of freedom?? Please, get real, I can't believe they bought that.

And as much Canada is better than the states, it DOES pale in comparison to being European. Education is better and cheaper than the u.s. but still not as good or cheap as most European nations. The crime rate in most European countries is lower than that of Canada and the u.s. Most European countries have legalized prostitution. Canada has it as well although more limited than in Europe.

Canada is the same as the u.s. culturally but is better in many aspects: lower crime rate, universal health care, better paid public sector jobs, less poverty and homelessness, more attention given to other political parties, etc.

Europe and UK are far more progressive than u.s and even Canada which is ok.

Again as I said previously, Canada and the states are very similar culturally but Canada is better in a lot of ways that I stated above.

Canadians are more free because they have universal healthcare, better and more affordable education, legalized prostitution, and the Canadian passport will get you more than the u.s. passport will. Young Canadians up to age 30 have the ability to go on working holiday in most European countries, while americans do not (except for Ireland as of just recently). Canadians can go to Cuba legally. For americans, that's finally changing, but up until now if you wanted to go, you had to sneak through Mexico or don't go at all.

Your view of America appears to be colored by your extreme left wing politics. If I felt the way you do I would be working on immigrating to a place more suitable for you. If you think the socialist democracies of western Europe are a paradise then you should be working toward moving there.
Just curious what part of the US you are in??? You do realize the northeastern states, especially New England are quite leftist leaning. One of the great things about this nation is the fact that you can choose to be in a state that fits your values. Have you thought of trying New England or even the Pacific Northwest??? Those deep blue regions may satisfy your desires to live in a more left wing place.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
#1 Reason the USA is #1:

We don't have such an inferiority complex that we need 99 reasons why we're better than any other country.

Game, set, match!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your view of America appears to be colored by your extreme left wing politics. If I felt the way you do I would be working on immigrating to a place more suitable for you. If you think the socialist democracies of western Europe are a paradise then you should be working toward moving there.
Just curious what part of the US you are in??? You do realize the northeastern states, especially New England are quite leftist leaning. One of the great things about this nation is the fact that you can choose to be in a state that fits your values. Have you thought of trying New England or even the Pacific Northwest??? Those deep blue regions may satisfy your desires to live in a more left wing place.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think I'm extreme left wing, the stuff I mentioned is just common sense. Although your point does illustrate that america is biased to the right and clearly a country that's better for conservatives.

I've tried leaving the states already. It is nearly impossible to immigrate to most western countries. Europe is my next stop, as I hope to stay there for awhile. But I already know it is next to impossible to legally immigrate there or even get a work permit. The priority for immigration there goes to other EU citizens. For non-EU nationals, you either have to be rich, get married, have family there, or be skilled/educated in a profession that's very highly in-demand such as the IT industry. And even with that, you need a job offer which is also very hard to get over other EU nationals. BELIEVE ME, if immigration was more reasonable in these countries, I would've been outta here long ago.

Funny, you mention that, I live in the Pacific Northwest. I also use to live in san francisco. I don't like either. I know these places are promoted as being more progressive, or in your words "leftist" than elsewhere in the states. But I've found that these areas of the country only care about a few things:

Marijuana
gay marriage
Recycling/environment
bikes on the street
young working professionals that work in IT companies

Those are the only things (except the last one) that qualify these places as left-leaning to america. Even though I'm left, I disagree with most of those. And nowhere in america has most of the things I mentioned to the other guy that are important that Canada and Europe provides for its' citizens. The good thing about living here is that one can live in a state that fits your values?? No state in america has as good of values as the rest of the developed world. And compare that to the EU, where one can live any of those COUNTRIES that fit their values. Now which is better?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Let's take these points one by one.

"Canadians are more free because they have universal healthcare"

Universal doesn't necessarily mean better quality of care, or better outcomes. Why do so many Canadians, those who can afford it, come to the US for high stage cancer treatment? I will say that for cases that are acute (like treatment for a heart attack, a broken bone, etc.) that both the US and Canada will provide similar outcomes over a range from sufficient to excellent.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, acute care is excellent. For non-urgent cases it's often very lacking. If I knew I had a slow growing tumor growing inside me would I be content waiting for 6 months to schedule treatment because there was a waiting list or would I want to start treatment next week?

Universal is way better quality of care. First off it's not a for profit system. Everyone's taken care of, not just people at the top. Insurance companies can't deny coverage for BS reasons. There's only a few Canadians that come to the states for care due to long wait times. The vast majority of Canadians are taken care of in Canada. Also with universal healthcare, coverage is more practical and less complicated, so better for the patient.

In the u.s. there have been several cases of people who've suffered and died due to lack of coverage or just being denied by ins. companies and hospitals. What about them and their families? Not important?

"better and more affordable education"

When you say "better" are you meaning at the elementary, secondary or tertiary level? I'd argue that my kids' public schools are extremely affordable, as they are free. It's also very high quality. If you mean at the university level please provide proof that it's better. I won't debate affordability and will concede that point if a student doesn't get a full ride scholarship. I will also admit that school districts can vary in quality in the US, but I don't think that Canadian public schools are totally equal as well, unless things have changed in the past 20 years.

Your response for this one is more understandable. What I meant was that Post secondary students are doing better in Canada and way better in Europe. I'll see if I can find some links later, but I know u.s. ranks quite low in education compared to them.

"legalized prostitution"

Not sure why that's a plus, but you probably forgot about C-36 that came into effect last December. It considers all sex workers to be "exploited" and therefore seeks to stamp it out. Try and hire a prostitute but don't be surprised if you're arrested.

By the way, in parts of Nevada prostitution is legal.

It's a plus because people should have the right to make a deal between them and another consenting adult what they would like to do together. It's called freedom. Last I saw in Canada on the news, the Canadian Supreme Court ruled that Canada's previous prostitution laws were unconstitutional and that prozzies have a right to work in a safe environment, hire bodyguards, and work in brothels. They ordered the conservative govt. to rewrite the laws basically fully legalizing brothels there. But about a year ago, that idiot Peter Mckay (minister of defense) backed by stephen harper did just the opposite. He rewrote the law criminalizing not only johns, but prozzies themselves. It's rumored that the case will go back to the Supreme court in a few years. Although that's the current legal status in Canada, it's still far better than in the states, where it's even more underground and the johns and prozzies are worse off.

Yes it's legal in parts of Nevada, but very restricted. And what's better? Being in a country where it's legal or tolerated everywhere, or in a country where it's only legal in a very small portion of the country.

"the Canadian passport will get you more than the u.s. passport will"

Not sure what this means. If you mean admittance to specific countries like North Korea or Cuba I'll concede that. I have both passports and find their utility equal. One thing where the US passport is superior is that it's good for 10 years. This whole 5 year renewal thing with the Canadian passport is ridiculous (and 2 years for kids!?!). I have traveled to over 30 countries, first on my Canadian passport, and then on my American one (which is my primary now). Never an issue with either.

I would have no problem renewing every 5 years for more freedom and access to countries and their benefits and responsibilities.

"Young Canadians up to age 30 have the ability to go on working holiday in most European countries, while americans do not (except for Ireland as of just recently)."

Fair point. That's a cultural thing with ties to the Commonwealth that the US doesn't have. I never took advantage of it myself because I was focused on growing my career. Now if I want to take a holiday anywhere I can easily afford it.

Actually it's not just a commonwealth thing. Japan, S.Korea, Germany, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, and France have it too. They are not Commonwealth. They just have good international relations that benefit their citizens.

"Canadians can go to Cuba legally. For americans, that's finally changing, but up until now if you wanted to go, you had to sneak through Mexico or don't go at all."

True, a US citizen cannot go to Cuba. They can, however, go to the Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Barbados, Antigua, St. Maarten, Aruba, etc. etc. Not sure how this is a big plus when I bet most Canadians don't go to Cuba.
Because they have access to something we don't. They are more free as I said in the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.