Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 PM

543 posts, read 946,069 times

Advertisements

I have a question to ask.
This topic I am bringing forth was discussed today in a panel sitting at our University. I will straight out state one man's opinion and I would like your opinion on it.

His opinion is that Western society was built on individualism whereas non western cultures are built on the basis of a collective mindset. This individualism resulted in all this technological advancement, in the formation of a civilized society. Take England for example-an island really and not too big(geographically) yet it had individuals like Byron and Shackleton and Mallery who wanted to find meaning, who wanted to explore but most importantly they weren't boggled down by a collective mindset of favoring their own kind.
This can be seen in every field from science to arts.

For example the kind of affinity you see among the blacks where they will favor the black person(it is so obvious and examples are replete in pop culture) that they literally elected a black man the president of the US based simply on the fact that he was black. Let's not be coy about these things and for once, throw PC out the window.

For most Asian societies this is the norm and hence they haven't really progressed, always embroiled in petty topics and squabbles. They will always favor their kind over the general good. Take any minority ethnicity that has recently immigrated. East Indians are everywhere in Europe or America but aren't truly belonging there. Given one chance to return for a much better life(high pay, good social status) and they will jump on the next flight.

With Western culture Individualism and rationality have always been encouraged. This has of course negative results too.

This was more or less his perspective, put far more eloquently than what I've written ofcourse. Now according to him western society is clearly in danger because the kind of collective mindset that immigrants bring will not be fruitful for an enlightened, risk taking society and our species will suffer for it. No interest in space programs or desire to explore the Oceans whereas most money would be put for greedy, selfish interests, the kind you see in any 3rd world God fearing, collective country. This is where it will all lead. You can see it happening now.

What is your take on this. Be very frank and open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,743,509 times
This might be more of a history question. If you wanted to trace it back to the beginnings, it might well have something to do with geography-climate-land (i.e. how hard did people have to work to sustain themselves?) or else religion.

Be cautious, though, saying that Asian societies haven't really progressed. There have been periods when Asian societies were ahead of Western ones.

By the way, I'm white, and I sure as hell didn't vote for a black man because he was black; I voted for him because he was clearly the superior candidate. But with your stance, I hope you're equally willing to admit that a lot of people voted for the white candidate because he was white.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,815,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I have a question to ask.
This topic I am bringing forth was discussed today in a panel sitting at our University. I will straight out state one man's opinion and I would like your opinion on it.

His opinion is that Western society was built on individualism whereas non western cultures are built on the basis of a collective mindset. This individualism resulted in all this technological advancement, in the formation of a civilized society. Take England for example-an island really and not too big(geographically) yet it had individuals like Byron and Shackleton and Mallery who wanted to find meaning, who wanted to explore but most importantly they weren't boggled down by a collective mindset of favoring their own kind.
This can be seen in every field from science to arts.

For example the kind of affinity you see among the blacks where they will favor the black person(it is so obvious and examples are replete in pop culture) that they literally elected a black man the president of the US based simply on the fact that he was black. Let's not be coy about these things and for once, throw PC out the window.

For most Asian societies this is the norm and hence they haven't really progressed, always embroiled in petty topics and squabbles. They will always favor their kind over the general good. Take any minority ethnicity that has recently immigrated. East Indians are everywhere in Europe or America but aren't truly belonging there. Given one chance to return for a much better life(high pay, good social status) and they will jump on the next flight.

With Western culture Individualism and rationality have always been encouraged. This has of course negative results too.

This was more or less his perspective, put far more eloquently than what I've written ofcourse. Now according to him western society is clearly in danger because the kind of collective mindset that immigrants bring will not be fruitful for an enlightened, risk taking society and our species will suffer for it. No interest in space programs or desire to explore the Oceans whereas most money would be put for greedy, selfish interests, the kind you see in any 3rd world God fearing, collective country. This is where it will all lead. You can see it happening now.

What is your take on this. Be very frank and open.
Conservatives are always insisting that they hate Obama for his policies and not his race (which is probably true for some, but not for most), yet insist that people voted for him only because he is back. Ironic. Most black people (and most of his supporters) voted for him FOR his policies and abilities, not just because he is black.

Frankly that sounds pretty racist.

This individualism problem that the US has been a hindrance. Every other civilized society has strong social programs including healthcare and education, while the US is lagging further and further behind and this push from conservatives to privatize everything will only make matters worse. Yes, we have a great space program, strong military, are medically advanced and inventive, but as wealthy as the US is, we can afford to do both. Cut back on military spending, cut back on politician salaries, cut back on prison spending and incarceration, stop the drug war, raise taxes and remove tax loopholes on the top 1% and we'll have plenty to spend in these other areas so we can take care of each other AND advance in science, technology, the arts, etc. Then we will have a shot at being number one again.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
But with your stance, I hope you're equally willing to admit that a lot of people voted for the white candidate because he was white.
But such a situation hasn't really arisen now has it? I think my question pertains to human psychology and sociology. Among whites I'd love to know if they ever voted for someone because of their religious preference, just an example- Wasn't John F Kennedy the first certain denomination of Christianity....Do you think someone voted for him simply because he was their denomination? I'd love to know.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Conservatives are always insisting that they hate Obama for his policies and not his race.
I think we are veering off topic but I'll bite. I could be wrong but I don't think conservatives are any more racist than your average joe, by that I mean hardly. Their biggest drawback is that they're lacking in some common sense(abortion topic for example) and are religious. In some ways they are much like any recent immigrant and follow a collectivist mindset.

If you think Middle America is racist you should go to India or Vietnam.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:23 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,743,509 times
Quote:
But such a situation hasn't really arisen now has it? I think my question pertains to human psychology and sociology. Among whites I'd love to know if they ever voted for someone because of their religious preference, just an example- Wasn't John F Kennedy the first certain denomination of Christianity....Do you think someone voted for him simply because he was their denomination? I'd love to know.

What are you talking about? Are you imagining that there weren't people - probably millions - who voted for anyone white rather than vote for Obama?

And of course Catholics would have rushed to vote for Kennedy. I'm sure Mormons rushed to vote for Mormon candidates, too. Can you really be that naive?

Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,808,062 times
Quote:
I think we are veering off topic but I'll bite. I could be wrong but I don't think conservatives are any more racist than your average joe, by that I mean hardly. Their biggest drawback is that they're lacking in some common sense(abortion topic for example) and are religious. In some ways they are much like any recent immigrant and follow a collectivist mindset.

If you think Middle America is racist you should go to India or Vietnam.
I don't think all conservatives are racist but I think most racists are conservatives. And I mean by a significant margin.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,056,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I don't think all conservatives are racist but I think most racists are conservatives. And I mean by a significant margin.
Stop it. I've been around Liberals and conservatives the only difference is cons get called out on racists comments where liberals will defend and say "What they meant to Say... and that's not racist". Save your BS for the Huffington Post comment section.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,808,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Stop it. I've been around Liberals and conservatives the only difference is cons get called out on racists comments where liberals will defend and say "What they meant to Say... and that's not racist". Save your BS for the Huffington Post comment section.
I should rephrase it as anecdotal evidence. I was born in AL and spent most of my life in the south. I know dozens of people that are very racist and the vast majority are currently pro GOP and claim to be conservative. Many are not politically savvy and are not true conservatives (think the rich should be taxed more heavily) IMO. But I don't know a single racist who identifies as liberal.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,013,942 times
Its always been individuals who advance society and the world. But the main difference is control of who is allowed to become individual doing it. Most centralized system restrict that and thus limit human innovation. they can even disallow production based on their person likes and dislikes. free to think is what America brought m more and than anything even to the western world. Even the strict social level structure limited many European countries. That all men are created equal and have opportunity of success to gian individual happiness was quite unique concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates