Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Arbitrarily raising wages above what people are worth inflates everything, and before too long, the artificially high wages inflate the costs of the good produced by their workers. In short order $15/hr would become the new $7/hr, and you would have the low level hacks clamoring for $30/hr.

However, reality cannot be evaded. Forcibly requiring people to overpay other people, which is evil before you even think of what the purpose is, soon self-destructs.

Leave it to the free market to determine the value of labor. If someone does not like the pay, they MUST get better, or cut their expenses. That is fair and just and moral and correct.
The free market has had 6 years of a free ride with $7.25 an hour labor. Only a few firms saw fit to raise wages. How much longer Marc? Another 20 years maybe when CEOs are getting 1000 times more than their hourly employees, maybe then they will decide to raise the minimum wage a few cents? We only have a minimum wage law because the wonderful free market has learned how to collude to suppress wages of the poor and middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
Some city employees make decent money and you do not need degrees for a good amount of some of the positions.

But guess what. Their hiring process discriminates depending on what position you apply for. They act like only women could do office work.

And if the city is majority one race; They rarely hire other races.
You may have 20 years of work experience. But the busty blonde will get the good paying ,easy city job; While forcing others back to apply for the basics.

Jmo.
That is certainly not my experience. I've worked in two public agencies and haven't seen any gender discrimination since the 70's. I think there is far less gender, age and race discrimination in public agencies than in the private sector

Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Read through earlier posts here and you might have a better idea of the probable costs of a minimum wage increase, it's been discussed ad nauseum
Yeah, I did skim the posts.

Quote:
That is certainly not my experience. I've worked in two public agencies and haven't seen any gender discrimination since the 70's. I think there is far less gender, age and race discrimination in public agencies than in the private sector

I agree. Government jobs are overly cautious about this, IME. Unions, and all that.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:55 PM

158 posts, read 200,233 times
Most places wouldn't hire a guy for a basic secretary position.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Most places wouldn't hire a guy for a basic secretary position.
well, in public agencies those jobs are usually called administrative assistant & there are plenty of men who hold those positions. There are a few mucky mucks how have an 'executive secretary' but I am personally aware of at least two agencies with male executive secretaries. It's just not 1950 any more, there are female firefighters and males doing clerical work.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
The free market has had 6 years of a free ride with $7.25 an hour labor. Only a few firms saw fit to raise wages. How much longer Marc? Another 20 years maybe when CEOs are getting 1000 times more than their hourly employees, maybe then they will decide to raise the minimum wage a few cents? We only have a minimum wage law because the wonderful free market has learned how to collude to suppress wages of the poor and middle class.
I don't care if it's 100 more years, or ever. You have no right to force someone to pay you more than they want to. If you don't like the wage that is offered, then you are not good enough. You need to improve yourself and become more valuable to your fellow man. Then, more money will come your way. It's all a free choice. The good workers who use their brains make lots of money. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever. We live in a just world. Produce, be reliable, be friendly, make other people better, GET PAID!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
well, in public agencies those jobs are usually called administrative assistant & there are plenty of men who hold those positions. There are a few mucky mucks how have an 'executive secretary' but I am personally aware of at least two agencies with male executive secretaries. It's just not 1950 any more, there are female firefighters and males doing clerical work.
Agree. But now I will back step and retract my opinion.

The government owes the working class. And mandated higher minimum wage will make it right.

Btw. They owe us because they allowed people to get welfare and food stamps and low income housing for decades.

I know plenty of people and families that has been on welfare since the 80s. They can work but they chose not to and the government blindly allowed it.

And let's not forget the extended unemployment that people took advantage of while not truly looking for jobs.

So the government doesn't owe me a higher pay rate because of the rich.

The government owes me a higher pay rate because my taxes have been paying and supporting families for decades while they chose not to work.

So yes. I should be entitled to making more. Now i understand why companies may be upset. But i have been upset for the last 2 decades for my tax money furnishing others lifestyle as well.

And I will not want my kids to get a 300k student loan for a career that will only pay them 25k a year. Jmo

Minimum wage needs to go up for the working class. And all freebies need to be stopped for the non working class that have 20 kids to feed without never having the means to support them all from day 1. Jmo.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Btw. I have been contributing to Social Security for 25 years. But when I can't work 25 years from now . Social Security may not be there for me.

And that's some baby back bull sh#t. Jmo

Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Btw. I have been contributing to Social Security for 25 years. But when I can't work 25 years from now . Social Security may not be there for me.

And that's some baby back bull sh#t. Jmo
And that is why, under the Marc Paolella Mandatory Social Security Abolition Act of 2015-2035, you wouldn't have to deal with this. Starting in 2015, and every year thereafter, Social Security contributions would be reduced by 5%. That 5% would be retained by you, in a private account, in stocks and bonds of your choosing, managed by a trustee so you couldn't get your hands on it. In 20 years, social security contributions would be abolished. All workers would have the amount that would have been withheld throughout their working years IN THEIR OWN EFFING PRIVATE ACCOUNTS FOR THEIR OWN ACCORD AND PAYABLE TO THEM WHEN THEY RETIRE. During the last 15 years of employment, funds would move from equities to cash to reduce risk in an orderly fashion as retirement age approached.

Given the power of time in this system, everyone who works would retire with a lavish amount of money that, if properly managed, would cover you comfortably until you die.

Most importantly, your social security withholding would be YOURS, controlled by you, and there for you and you alone when you retire.

As it stands, SS withholdings are pissed away on destructive and damaging social welfare programs and you young people need to wake up and put a stop to this.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
And when those jobs don't even start to meet their needs and the Government kicks in at least as much as their salary in social service benefits..you're ok with that? You don't see that as corporate welfare?
It's not corprate welfare, it's individual welfare. The people are being subsidized. Corporate welfare is when a corporation enjoys unjustified preferential treatment from government as a result of their political connections.

People make choices that determine what their needs will be, and those choices do not impose any obligation upon their employers - nor should they.

As far as cost of living is concerned, there are many ways that government can lessen the burden upon people (and thus, upon the welfare system and ultimately, upon us as taxpayers). The notion that businesses should pay more in labor cost excuses the fact that COL is inflated by government and unfairly shifts the buren for such onto businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates