Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:56 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times

Advertisements

After watching this documentary can someone explain to me how a so-called advanced and civilized country sees this as the right thing to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3lw6PMjj40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
After watching this documentary can someone explain to me how a so-called advanced and civilized country sees this as the right thing to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3lw6PMjj40
I don't understand it either.
At least there's been a bit of progress, though, in that states can no longer execute kids.
But there's still a long way to go.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Nelson Mandela was right when he said "There can be no keener reflection on society's soul than the way it treats its children.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
When children brutally murder someone, what do you wish to happen to them?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
'Brutally murder'

Murder is always wrong and is sort of brutal on it's own. To call something a 'brutal murder' would require the murder to be quite extreme. Or are you just using hyperbole to justify thinking this is ok?

As it is, prison seems to make most people worse off, which to me means it's 100% counter productive. These are kids; they acted without thinking. They should be punished, but perhaps be reasonable about what's best overall. If they weren't nasty people before, they'll be nasty once they've gone through our failing prison system. Is that what you think is better?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
'Brutally murder'

Murder is always wrong and is sort of brutal on it's own. To call something a 'brutal murder' would require the murder to be quite extreme. Or are you just using hyperbole to justify thinking this is ok?

As it is, prison seems to make most people worse off, which to me means it's 100% counter productive. These are kids; they acted without thinking. They should be punished, but perhaps be reasonable about what's best overall. If they weren't nasty people before, they'll be nasty once they've gone through our failing prison system. Is that what you think is better?
So you believe people, including kids, who commit murder should be released if someone says they are good to go? How about those 2 young girls who killed their friend to please a fictional character?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:46 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Quote:
So you believe people, including kids, who commit murder should be released if someone says they are good to go? How about those 2 young girls who killed their friend to please a fictional character?
Depends who that someone is. Qualified psychiatrists should be trusted to do this, not judges.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:46 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Children that murder are never going to become 'normal' children after having done that. At least if tried and sentenced as adults there is a chance they will be kept from doing more harm during the years of their lives that they are most likely to act out. And yes, there is a big difference between a brutal murder and other murders. When the victim suffers in any way, that is brutal and inexcusable by age or any other factor.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
'Brutally murder'

I'd say the adjective is meant to imply special circumstances, involved in some murders. A liquor stores robbery gone bad, with someone shot once, as opposed to a Charles Manson type of affair. These kids that get tried as adults, often are complete sociopaths. No conscience, no remorse for their actions. Thing is, a conscience cannot be implanted, nor made to grow with medication and therapy. I will also concede that hard prison time, tossed in with the animals in our prisons, won't do much to make them all fuzzy and cuddly either. But, these kids do need to be removed from society.

Special facilities, just for these types of kids, might work. However, they certainly cannot be allowed to mingle with others like them, either. They need to be supermaxed. Very limited and purposed, human contact. As with all things, funding is the issue. I know there's going to be some dissent, with my next statement, but I believe this , with all my being. There is NO rehabilitation for these sociopathic kids, or adults. They can NEVER be trusted. Fooling people is what they do. And their extremely good at it. A non hardened heart will be taken in with their theatrics, every time, to the extreme detriment of everyone, except the actor. Having looked such a person in the eyes, I will say, they are more than scary. A rattlesnake has more compassion in its talk, alone.

This persons intended victim crippled and maimed him, for life. He will never victimize anyone, again. And oh my! The tears he shed in lamenting that. Not because he had any regret for attempting his crime, but because he will NEVER do it again, was my take. Judge and jury agreed with that asesment. A full century, were humans that longevic, could be spent "rebabing" a sociopath. They will never change. Any assurances they may give, and all the right action they may take, is nothing but an act.

So, whilst I agree that simply punishing them , as an adult, will not do any good, outside of revenge, for a kid like that, they still are a danger to society, that cannot be allowed to be among us. Its hard for me to feel compassion for a creature that has none, itself. I , truly, have more compassion for that rattlesnake. He won't hurt you unless he feels you're going to hurt him. He is a truly honest creature. Sociopaths, young or old, hurt for pleasure, which they can feel. Hurting living things is their one, true pleasure. Death, is actually a kindness, for such creatures, and for the world.

Not all these kids, in question, are true sociopaths, but a lot of them are, as well. Could be they were born that way, could be they were made that way. Doesn't matter. They are what they are. Sad? I suppose so. But, they are plutonium. There is no redemption for them. Just because a creature takes human form, does not make it human.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
These kids that get tried as adults, often are complete sociopaths.
A citation, perhaps a demonstration of your credentials in criminal justice and juvenile psychology, or are you just making up your arguments as you go along?

Quote:
Judge and jury agreed with that asesment.
In many states the decision to try a child as an adult is at the discretion of the prosecutor and the prosecutor alone.

In those states where a judge is given the flexibility to remand a child over to the adult system, the prosecutors recommendation is a powerful sway over a judged decision.

In other states, the crime dictates in which system a child will be tried.

In no state does a jury have a say in which system a child will be tried.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/04/10/...hildren-adults

Stats - State Laws | Juvenile Justice | FRONTLINE | PBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates