Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:05 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times

Advertisements

I totally support children guilty of adult crimes to be sentenced as adults. Here is a list of children that committed murder, read through the list and see how many of these children you would like living next door or going to school with your child: 10 Youngest Murderers in History - Criminal Justice Degrees Guide

Learn about sociopathy, the pc term is Anti-Social Personality Disorder: Antisocial Personality Disorder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
We put more people in prison for longer periods of time than any other country in the world, do we have it right, or does everyone else?

How did we end up with a system that imposes sentences far longer than any other first world country?
Background
Contemporary American law is unique among advanced industrial countries in its focus on blame and retribution.
We are still clinging to a 250 year old moral code, Calvinism - "God preordained...a part of the human race, without any merit of their own, to eternal salvation, and another part, in just punishment of their sin, to eternal damnation. " John Calvin"
How effective is retributive punishment?
Evidence based punishment From this view, putting people in prison for years or even decades should prevent offenders from re-offending by incapacitating them and/or deterring would-be-offenders from committing crimes. However, contrary to deterrence ideology and “get tough” rhetoric, the bulk of research on the deterrent effects of harsher sentences fails to support these assertions.
Recidivism for offenders convicted of homicide is lower than for other crimes:
Florida 25% vs 33% for other crimes
Most rearrests are for parole violations or drug charges. None of the offenders in the study committed another homicide
Longer sentences result in higher recidivism rates
The costs
The average cost of keeping a juvenile in prison is $148,000 a year

Old 08-22-2015, 03:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,594,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Depends who that someone is. Qualified psychiatrists should be trusted to do this, not judges.
Talk about your oxymoron.. I rather trust our Shih Tzu. She is a keen judge of human character.

Mahalo

Old 08-22-2015, 10:55 PM

760 posts, read 770,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
After watching this documentary can someone explain to me how a so-called advanced and civilized country sees this as the right thing to do?
Just ask the family of a dead victim how they feel about how the court treats a vicious, evil 17 year 364 day old "juvenile" who robbed, raped and gunned down their family member and then bragged to his friends about it, and because he's a "minor" he gets off with a slap on the wrist, his name is shielded from public knowlege and 9 times out of 10 they go on to bigger and worse crimes.
I don't care what the age is for someone who commits violent crimes or kills someone, they should be treated like adults and charged as adults. A 12 year old is old enough to know running a 10" steak knife into someone's back 47 times is wrong.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, the girl they tried to kill survived and at least 1 of the 2 attackers seems to have serious mental problems......
I think they made up that slenderman bs story, they are way old enough to not believe in such ridiculous fairy tales, they were not 5 years old! I think they were cold, evil, calculating monsters who knew exactly what they were doing and had planned this for some time of course. Once they were caught they concocted this slenderman bs, no doubt even their lawyer whose job it is to get them off by any legal means possible- encouraged it to make them look like innocent naive and mentally ill individuals.
I say charge them as adults for attempted murder and lock them up, these two otherwise will get out of juvenile prison or the hospital and we will see them in the news again, next time after they kill someone.

The girl survived ONLY by pure luck, they stabbed her enough times she should be dead and that was their intent, they wanted to feel what it felt like to stab someone to death.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course our justice system is based ALL about how we can save money on trials, right?
if it costs $148,000 a year then it costs $148,000 that's the price for our justice system, you can't put a pricetag on someone who is DEAD because of some violent offender was released early, and if so you can bet the victim's family would sue, costing lots more than that $148K a year.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I totally support children guilty of adult crimes to be sentenced as adults. Here is a list of children that committed murder, read through the list and see how many of these children you would like living next door or going to school with your child: 10 Youngest Murderers in History - Criminal Justice Degrees Guide

Learn about sociopathy, the pc term is Anti-Social Personality Disorder: Antisocial Personality Disorder

Oh yeah that Venables and Thompson case, I remember reading about those two psycopaths, crazy thing is they are out of jail and under protection, had their names changed and today they live near people who have no idea who these two evil monsters were or what they did! Only a matter of time before one of them snaps again.

Just read the diary by Luke Woodham, April 14, 1997

In part he wrote this about his dog who lived with him and his family for years, anyone think a nut like this can or even should be "rehabilitated" or put on some pills to be "normal" and if he forgets to take his pill some day someone DIES?
These two are not mentally ill, what's the odds of two mentally ill kids just happening to be friends in the same neighborhood and do things like torture and burn their dog to death? These two are simply evil, bad seeds, here's abrief exerpt, the real graphic descriptions of what they did I left out:

Quote:
On Saturday of last week, I made my first kill. The date was April 12, 1997 about 4:30
p.m. The victim was a loved one. My dear dog Sparkle.

. When we got out to the woods
I took a billy club.... I ... handed it to my accomplice. He ran and hit the bagged
dog with it. I will never forget the howl she made. it sounded almost human. We laughed and hit her hard.

We set her on fire again, the foolish dog opened her mouth & we sprayed fluid down her throat,

...It was true beauty
How about the kid named Jake Evans who shot his mom and sister and was going to kill his grandparents and older sister too, but
he wound up calling 911 and the call has been posted on the web, when asked why he shot and killed mom and sister he said "I don't know... just because..."

Last edited by Sculptor; 08-22-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
After watching this documentary can someone explain to me how a so-called advanced and civilized country sees this as the right thing to do?........
Because when it comes to age, we CHEAT! We change the rules as it is convenient to us, to those in power.

Long story short, I believe it is wrong. I believe if you are an adult at 18, you get the responsibilities and the privs of an adult. But being an adult without the privs, ie drinking, is wrong. Further, saying that at 14 you are a child if there are crimes against you but if you committed the crime, then you are adult, is wrong.

It ought to be one way or the other, not with the State having it both ways.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:20 AM

153 posts, read 278,613 times
I think the real question is, at what age is someone considered an "adult"?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM

962 posts, read 631,917 times
In Texas, 17 year olds can legally be tried as adults. Sometimes a 16 year old can be tried as one in New York, based on state laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates