Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't understand people who act like premarital sex, poverty, and single motherhood didn't exist before "welfare." History: look into it
Exactly. The entire tone of this "debate" reminds me of the Did Roe v. Wade drop crime rates? foolishness.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:00 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
YES!!!

Those welfare mothers youre talking about - scratch the surface - each and every one of them has a past history of some sort of child abuse.

They primarily have babies to Have Someone That Will Love Them No Matter What, usually because no one ever HAS loved them...or maybe Loved Them Too Much IYKWIM, causing them to open their legs for every guy who looks twice mistaking sexual attention for affection.

Maybe they have a single mum themselves, and learned at a very early age that Men Wont Stick Around. This sort of thing does tend to be passed on through the line.

Precious few have supportive potential grandparents (maternal AND paternal!) waiting eagerly in the wings for a much wanted grandbaby.

Single motherhood as a Career Goal makes exactly ZERO sense in a capitalist society. They are literally dependent on handouts from a society which begrudges and critiques every penny, and in a world of nice cars and iphones, WHO would choose that?

Folk without choices, that's who.
I'm afraid this is fairly accurate, and while I have sympathy for anyone who has been abused, people respond to incentives and we should not provide incentives for young girls and women to have babies they cannot take care of, no matter what the reason for having the baby.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Exactly. The entire tone of this "debate" reminds me of the Did Roe v. Wade drop crime rates? foolishness.
For some questions you don't need data. The children who were aborted didn't commit any crimes.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:19 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
For some questions you don't need data. The children who were aborted didn't commit any crimes.
Well, I have to consider this. Black women have had the highest rate of abortions in the USA. However, the highest violent crime rate is still among Black Americans. And from what I gather, it's mainly the underclass segment of the Black population, where alot of those crimes come from. Something tells me that abortion wasn't very successful in lower crime in this instance.

Most abortion clinics are in impoverished crime ridden areas.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Please tell me you aren't being serious. It really is hard to tell on this forum sometimes.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:14 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
YES!!!

Those welfare mothers youre talking about - scratch the surface - each and every one of them has a past history of some sort of child abuse.

They primarily have babies to Have Someone That Will Love Them No Matter What, usually because no one ever HAS loved them...or maybe Loved Them Too Much IYKWIM, causing them to open their legs for every guy who looks twice mistaking sexual attention for affection.

Maybe they have a single mum themselves, and learned at a very early age that Men Wont Stick Around. This sort of thing does tend to be passed on through the line.

Precious few have supportive potential grandparents (maternal AND paternal!) waiting eagerly in the wings for a much wanted grandbaby.

Single motherhood as a Career Goal makes exactly ZERO sense in a capitalist society. They are literally dependent on handouts from a society which begrudges and critiques every penny, and in a world of nice cars and iphones, WHO would choose that?

Folk without choices, that's who.
We may be talking about overlapping, but different groups of women. For one thing, my discussion of women who don't see a need for a father in the house is not limited to women on welfare--I'm talking about women across the income spectrum. The ones at the lower end may end up on welfare after having their children, but they merely have the same outlook as those who have the means to stay off welfare.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
You are assuming the only reason girls and women are single mothers is because they think they can feed them.
You got that backwards. It's not that women become single mothers because they think they can afford to feed their child(ren), it's that having welfare available makes them think "well, if I get pregnant, I can always get on welfare" instead of "I can't afford to have a baby, I better make sure I don't get pregnant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiupoy View Post
Ever since we realized babies come from sex, we've still been having babies even before there was a government to help.
Government doesn't help, it enables. In so doing, it begets dependency, which politicians use to manipulate voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiuppy View Post
Usually the family or tribe would help provide for the abandoned mother and child, and shame the father.
Which proves that, despite emotional rhetoric claiming otherwise, children will not starve if welfare is eliminated.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

Which proves that, despite emotional rhetoric claiming otherwise, children will not starve if welfare is eliminated.
Actually, children did starve before food stamps, etc. Google it.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I have to consider this. Black women have had the highest rate of abortions in the USA. However, the highest violent crime rate is still among Black Americans. And from what I gather, it's mainly the underclass segment of the Black population, where alot of those crimes come from. Something tells me that abortion wasn't very successful in lower crime in this instance.

Most abortion clinics are in impoverished crime ridden areas.
I didn't say it solved the problem; I said that the children/fetuses/whatever who were aborted did not commit any crimes so the problem would have been worse if abortion had not been available. Are you disagreeing with that?

Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Please tell me you aren't being serious. It really is hard to tell on this forum sometimes.
My comment is obviously somewhat facetious, but I am more than half serious. If the children who were aborted had been allowed to live, some of them would have grown up to commit crimes, wouldn't they? And those would be in addition to those crimes actually committed, wouldn't they?

I am just trying to use logic in a topic where emotion seems to be the only tool anybody has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates