Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 PM

41 posts, read 31,903 times

Advertisements

How can someone say the Earth is not special when its the only planet in our solar system that carries complex life! Just look at our solar system and the Earth sticks out like a sore thumb. You trying so hard to prove a point that now your not even making sense! There is NO proof that the Big Bang ever existed and to say otherwise means your just lying because if there was proof then it wouldn't just be a theory! Whether you believe in the Bible or not I can care less but for someone to believe in the Big Bang Theory and at the same time call the Bible a myth means your nothing but a hypocrite. I really don't understand people, how can you expect man to determine when and how the whole universe came to existence but this same man hasn't even discovered more than 5% of the ocean and our planet is over 70% water! Therefore we don't even know our own planet let alone the whole universe. There is tons of evidence that supports the existence of God, the very fact that we don't have an answer is evidence of God.

I don't have a religion nor is the Bible a religious book. Do some research on the Bible before we start making assumptions. Religions today are Babylonian customs which is why all these "religions" have extremely significant similarities. Which is why Christians and the Catholic church perform "sunday worship" which is Babylonian, instead of keeping the true sabbath. These religions are frauds and have nothing to do with Bible.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:44 PM

Before you criticise the Bible try reading the Bible first and then translate it back to its original tongues. Like I said before the bible has been watered down and tampered with for years! There are over hundreds of versions of the bible in just the English language alone. Its not the Bible that's the problem but its the people that got their hands on it!

Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Israelite View Post
AFP that comment wasn't meant for you it was meant for Cupper3 I made a mistake.
UFOs?

What is the FIRST word?

Unindentified!!!!

Old 10-10-2015, 03:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Atheists believe the universe was created by the big bang. It was an explosion, which used energy to strew matter everywhere. But what do atheists believe about where that matter and energy came from? If they suddenly came to exist at a particular instant, and didn't already exist, doesn't it contradict the laws of nature?

And where did the laws of nature come from? Who decided what their details should be? Are they just random? Who threw the dice to randomize them? The decision that magnetism should be stronger than gravity, and a million other such decisions, were all made at random, by some kind of inanimate decision maker? But not a god?
They are incapable of following things back to their logical beginnings. There are only two options....A) The "pop" theory, where everything we see simply popped into existence, or B) God, or Creator.

All that you see came from somewhere. And it didn't begin with the "big bang".

Old 10-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
UFOs?

What is the FIRST word?

Unindentified!!!!
I see where the confusion came from but that question wasnt meant for you but the statement I made to AFP was but anyway... the first word for UFO is unidentified but just cause you can't identity something doesn't mean it don't exists

Old 10-10-2015, 04:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,250,312 times
Quote:
Atheists believe the universe was created by the big bang. It was an explosion, which used energy to strew matter everywhere. But what do atheists believe about where that matter and energy came from? If they suddenly came to exist at a particular instant, and didn't already exist, doesn't it contradict the laws of nature?

And where did the laws of nature come from? Who decided what their details should be? Are they just random? Who threw the dice to randomize them? The decision that magnetism should be stronger than gravity, and a million other such decisions, were all made at random, by some kind of inanimate decision maker? But not a god?
Depends what you define as "god".

I most closely identify with pantheism, myself.

I'm also aware that The Big Bang itself is an extremely recent discovery, relatively speaking, and only a simpleton would assume there isn't plenty more still for us humans to discover.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,821,244 times
When you begin to understand why you disregard other peoples' gods (Allah, Buddha, etc.), you will begin to understand why I disregard yours. . .

Old 10-10-2015, 05:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:

You don't have to be an atheist to believe in the big bang theory. Don't know where you got that idea. Church, maybe?

The scientist Carl Sagan (The Cosmos) believed in God and said science and belief in God are not opposing views.

People are different. Some are rational and believe in science and empirical evidence. Others are part rational and part spiritual and believe in spirits or gods or THE God or whatever, in addition to science. And still others are pure spiritualists, who don't believe in science at all and only believe in spiritual explanations for things in the universe.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,910,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There are so many. I don't care to break it down in detail due to lack of interest however here are links that touch on it a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

'How to Read the Bible' Through History : NPR

Jesus And The Hidden Contradictions Of The Gospels : NPR
Transcript of QUIZ SHOW: Bible Contradictions

QUIZ SHOW: Bible Contradictions - NonStampCollector

Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,418,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Science is a process of forever questioning and retesting all of existing science. No actual science person would claim certainty. Religion meanwhile is a willing suspension of disbelief in order to adopt absolutist irrational dogma presumed to be the inerrant word of God. This is where claims of certainty will come from.
That is a very "on-the-mark" definition of what constitutes what is called "religion" or "faith" (and I myself had been a person invested in faith in times past . . . so I am not an outsider to understanding the mind of a person of faith). Just the fact that it is a willing suspension of disbelief, along with then choosing to adopt (in place of the disbelief) some preconceived dogma and accompanying narrative which is claimed to have absolute inerrancy (for all intents and purposes) is indicative of it being-- right from the very start --an intellectually dishonest enterprise. Or at least "an intellectually dishonest enterprise" for those who claim inerrancy or certitude about their beliefs. In contrast, there are those who subscribe to whatever religious/spiritual beliefs and yet will say that they don't absolutely know their subscribed-to ideas to be true but willfully choose to embrace it as true anyway (it apparently fulfills some emotional need or fills some void for them). It is engaged in by them, whether they realize it or not, as some type of life coping mechanism . . . or some are motivated to engage in it primarily to "go along to get along" with their family or peers or their particular sub-culture or with the prevailing larger culture (i.e., with the motivation being to be agreeable and therefore to fit in).

If I claimed absolute certitude about even whatever scientific principle, I myself would be guilty of intellectually dishonesty. As you stated: "Science is a process of forever questioning and retesting all of existing science. No actual science person would claim certainty." Science doesn't start from a place of so-called "revealed truths" . . . unlike religion.

Last edited by UsAll; 10-10-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates