Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:29 AM

743 posts, read 766,920 times

Advertisements

Unattractive, misshapen, dirty looking dogs ... Is this a thing with hipster-types - trying to see who can have the most unattractive dog?
And while I'm at it: What is it with white women and their constant defense of/and adopting pit bulls? Are they pulling for the underdog (as usual) or do they simply need to feel like they're saving a criminal? (Ever notice how it's usually white women who fall in love with prison lowlifes?)

That's my rant for the day, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:51 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Adopting a rescue dog is all the rage now and I think it is great. The dogs need a good home and it makes the owners feel good to give them one so what is wrong with that? It used to be that pure breeds were in and mutts took a back seat but I think the world has found out that there are way more mutts out there than pure breds. Call it routing for the underdog.

One does have to wonder where are all the pitbulls coming from and why are so many abandoned? Pitbulls do make wonderful companions but there is a danger with them due to their nature so one needs to be careful.

Pitbulls are kind of like muslims it only takes a few acting up to give the rest a bad name.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
The 'ugly dogs' are usually victims of animal cruelty and have been placed in a rescue shelter. People who adopt them may be going it to make a statement, but that statement is that we should care for our animals.

And pit bulls are just as capable of being good dogs as any other breed. It's called raising it right. My dad had a theory about dogs and their owners. A dumb dog is the first sign of a dump person.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Those "ugly" dogs are shelter mixes. They are valued for their uniqueness, strong genetics, and gratitude.

I've lost count of all the purebred dogs I've known who've died young due to some affliction due to over breeding. Shelter dogs are more doglike, they have not been dumbed down to look prettier or to be quieter.

Pit Bulls are especially "marketed" by shelters because there are just so many of them. Historically, pit bull owners are an irresponsible type who don't believe in spaying or neutering, and of course use them for fighting or intimidation.

No doubt if/when those white women have babies of their own, any sign of trouble/jeoulousy from the pit bull, and they will be returned to the shelter.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Unattractive, misshapen, dirty looking dogs ... Is this a thing with hipster-types - trying to see who can have the most unattractive dog?
And while I'm at it: What is it with white women and their constant defense of/and adopting pit bulls? Are they pulling for the underdog (as usual) or do they simply need to feel like they're saving a criminal? (Ever notice how it's usually white women who fall in love with prison lowlifes?)

This post literally made me nauseous.

what kind of person are you, OP?
A gorgeous stud who owns an expensive purebred animal for status?
you are surely not a dog lover.

I think hipsters are silly too, and trendy s**t irritates me but shelter/rescue dogs...how can you call them ugly?

As for pits, yes they are now trendy among white women/white guys and that's waaay better than them being used by thugs and ghetto lowlife for fighting purposes.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
This post literally made me nauseous.

what kind of person are you, OP?
A gorgeous stud who owns an expensive purebred animal for status?
you are surely not a dog lover.

I think hipsters are silly too, and trendy s**t irritates me but shelter/rescue dogs...how can you call them ugly?

As for pits, yes they are now trendy among white women/white guys and that's waaay better than them being used by thugs and ghetto lowlife for fighting purposes.
Thank you! I was disgusted by this thread as well. Seriously, who harps on people for doing GOOD in the world.

As far as pits, I am and always will advocate for them. And no it's not just in how you raise them. They are innately good dogs who too often get put in bad situations and of course they and the entire breed pay for it. If this weren't true than all of the Vick dogs, who were in one of the absolute, most disgusting, violent situations a dog could ever be in, would have been put down. Only one, ONE of his dogs were euthinized for aggression. The rest were rehabbed, many went on to live with families, other pets or became therapy dogs. Just like people, a dog's past does not define its future. And they are owned by all types of people from all walks of life.

http://themajorityproject.com/

And that "just like Muslims" comment, ugh! White Christians really need to take a hard look at themselves and see all the death and terrorism THEY cause on our own soil before they go pointing their fingers!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post

I don't even know what you're talking about. Do you have even one example?

I volunteer at a shelter and I can tell you that I don't really see any rhyme or reason in what attracts certain people to certain dogs. People walk in and fall in love with who they fall in love with. The smaller, cuter, easier to handle dogs are more likely to be adopted than the bigger, pitbull-ish breeds. Those dogs are euthanized by the dozens at our shelter, I'm sad to say. As far as white women and their defense of the breed, I don't see any pattern of that. Volunteers tend to love all the dogs and in the shelter most of the dogs are intimidated, meek and sweet.

Also, as a middle-aged white woman with a lifetime of white women friends, I don't know of any who have ever fallen in love with a "prison lowlife."

Do you just have anything to support your assorted declarations? Or were you just having a bad day?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
I know an older man who wanted to adopt a shelter dog. He went to the Shelter and asked for the ugliest dog they had - figuring that the dog wouldn't get adopted.

I always thought that was a great thing to do. That dog was ugly and the man was certainly no hipster.

Is this a great debate?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i always wanted a weiny dog. get me a looonnnng little doggy

Old 11-27-2015, 07:34 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i always wanted a weiny dog. get me a looonnnng little doggy
this post gave me an icky feeling too. wth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates