Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 01:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
I just fail to see the downside of people in developed countries choosing to forgo children.
Really? You don't see it??

Why Europe needs 1.3 billion immigrants | The Times

Quote:
Britain’s population is ageing. This will stretch the public finances still further. To ease the pressure, says the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), we need more immigrants. Net immigration would have to rise to an average of 260,000 a year over the next 50 years just to keep debt (as a proportion of GDP) at current levels. The Home Office dismisses this, yet the OBR’s reasoning is sound.
Why Europe's economy needs immigration | Reuters.com

Aging Europe needs the migrants it doesn't want | Reuters

Quote:
Europe is aging faster than any other region of the world. It badly needs immigrants. But many Europeans don't want them.

The "old continent" may be able to offset the impact of a graying workforce until around 2020 by bringing more women and elderly people into work, encouraging mobility within Europe and making better use of existing migrants, EU and OECD experts say.

But in the medium to long term, the European Union will need to attract significant numbers of skilled workers from beyond its borders - and overcome growing public opposition highlighted by the rise of populist anti-immigration parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:18 PM

318 posts, read 373,303 times
And, that isn't a problem with these countries not producing more babies, it's the attitude towards immigration. There are plenty of places on this planet that are HAVING more then enough babies, some of whom are growing into intelligent hardworking, ambitious adults that would jump at the chance to be a resident of the countries experiencing a shortage of workforce. The refugee crisis: Europe needs more migrants, not fewer - Friends of Europe

Old 11-21-2015, 03:20 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
And, that isn't a problem with these countries not producing more babies, it's the attitude towards immigration.
I get the political issue and the xenophobia.

From an evolution point of view we have a segment of the population committing genetic suicide on a voluntary basis and overcrowding in other areas of the planet. Shifting population may work, but if you are familiar with history this rarely ends well.

What we have is educated people not reproducing and non educated people reproducing too fast (regardless of color of the skin). Ideally the disadvantaged should reproduce less than the educated folks but we have the opposite.

BTW, the fertility rate has also been going doing in parts of the third world.

But, there is more, many of the so-called overpopulated countries are taking care of the over population and approaching the fertility rates of the developed world. It is predicted that in the next decades the fertility rate of the entire world will be similar to developed countries

Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Thank you for understanding!
Good post!

You rather let nature run its course. That is what folks that do not care about Earth warming say. And maybe there is not much we can do about it.

But, the future with few young people is already upon us and that is why the European countries desperately seek immigrants.
If people continue to just not have the kids they don't want, I'm very happy not to interfere with that. But I would rather not let nature take its course when people are starving, being slaughtered, dying from disease, etc. Which I don't see happening if the US fertility rates continue to drop.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
We're all doing the right thing...the exact right thing in this very moment...always.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
[quote=Julian658;41943789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post

As I said above, China tried this and it does not work.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/41938012-post61.html

As pointed out in a post above this post of yours, that wasn't the only issue with China.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
Quote:
The Earth will die when the sun dies. So we still have a few billion years left.

Yes, a huge problem in Germany!

With the problems that already exist - partly being many unadopted children, homelessness, poverty, unaffordable housing, those uneducated, not getting work or are underemployed, I would like to see the focus be on addressing the care of those already on the planet and repairing issues, rather than just extending the population with the hopes that some will be smart and educated enough.
It is obvious we have over population of children that come from poverty leading to the problems you cited (see bold). The cash to take care of this problem comes from the children of productive educated parents. And these folks are becoming scarce due to very low fertility rates. You cannot fool math![/quote]
I sure as hell won't be around to find out, but I doubt the USA can even outlast the Roman Empire, let alone be around for another billion years. We have so many financial, social-economical, and other problems that we reach a breaking point. Unrest will break out. If you have a population of 10 billion or 14 billion people, how will those folks sustain themselves when there's not enough water, jobs, $$, food, and other resources to go around? Many of our solutions aren't enough, and even then, there are layers of politics to get through.

The reason why people move from one region to another IS because of lack of natural resources. With nowhere to go, having extra population... educated or not, doesn't do a damn thing if you can't feed them all. You can't fool THAT math!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,170,343 times
Quote:
Built the wall of China once again and have no children?
If we were to build a wall, the immigrant who are already here will continue having large families, and the rest of the population will continue procreating as well.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,681,947 times
Okay, though I have appreciated reading what many, brilliant posters have had to say which I am in agreement with (and could not Rep you enough), it is apparent that the OP is continuing to beat a dead horse.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 AM

870 posts, read 1,126,675 times
Some Bill Hicks is required here IMO

“I'm tired of this back-slappin' "isn't humanity neat" bull****. We're a virus with shoes.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates