Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Some Bill Hicks is required here IMO

“I'm tired of this back-slappin' "isn't humanity neat" bull****. We're a virus with shoes.”
Is that what you think of humanity? REally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
it is apparent that the OP is continuing to beat a dead horse.

And for that reason, I'm out.
Before you tune out; could you describe the dead horse? Just so I know what you are talking about.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Anecdotal statements are OK, but what is your point?
This is what I thought when I read the topic of this discussion.

I am 44, do not have any kids nor do I want any. The reason had nothing to do with economics, but rather that when I was young enough to be interested in having them, I hadn't met a girl who I would want to spend my life with, nor did I have the resources to afford a child. Now that I have met my wife and could afford children, I am old enough to realize that the last thing I want to be dealing with at 60 is a petulant teenager's self-centered drama.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,413,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Why are Bob and Sara listed as negative numbers while the offspring are positive numbers? They are all human beings and all subjected to the same parameters: birth, life and then death. The analysis should be as follows since Bob, Sara and the children (or their real world counterparts) will be sharing the earth together for many years, in most cases. Your analysis omits the very important reality that multiple generations exist at the same time and it is NOT the case of the offspring simply replacing Bob and Sara.

You can't arbitrarily make some people negative and others positive to suit your preconceived outcome.

Bob and Sara decide to have 0 children. 2 + 0 = 2

Bob and Sara have 1 child. 2 + 1 = 3

Bob and Sara have 2 children 2 + 2 = 4
Because Bob and Sara will die. If they do not reproduce, humanity lost two people without adding another. Like I said, people shouldn't be this bad at math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Let's make this easy to understand. Bob and Sara will be our couple. Negative integers, as 100% of humans die.

Bob and Sara decide to have 0 children. -2 + 0 = -2

Bob and Sara have 1 child. -2 + 1 = -1

Bob and Sara have 2 children -2 + 2 = 0 (no net gain)

Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,413,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, it's a recipe for disaster. Look at China, Japan, or any of the old Western Europe countries and you'll see the results of this kind of decadence.
Correct. Spot on, mate.

Quote:
I agree! The European countries do not reproduce and now have to import foreigners just to survive.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
For me, children are just too much work and expense. And honestly, I don't care where society will be 40 years from now because I will no longer exist.
This is the thinking that will cause economic decline. You are well within your right to feel this way. It is just ironic that so many people are against immigration yet hold beliefs that there are no consequences for choosing to not have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm a successful intelligent adult that is childless by choice. You're reading WAY too much into most people's choices. I just didn't want kids. It's that simple.
You can make that choice!

Society cannot, however.

2.1 is replacement rate. No exceptions.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This is what I thought when I read the topic of this discussion.

I am 44, do not have any kids nor do I want any. The reason had nothing to do with economics, but rather that when I was young enough to be interested in having them, I hadn't met a girl who I would want to spend my life with, nor did I have the resources to afford a child. Now that I have met my wife and could afford children, I am old enough to realize that the last thing I want to be dealing with at 60 is a petulant teenager's self-centered drama.
Perfectly OK, I see no issues.

But, the theme of the thread is not about our personal individual choices. The thread has to do with the consequences of a society where the number of children is going down.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
I didn't have kids for a good reason.

I believe I picked-up an insanity-gene that runs in my family. Also, I have another genetic-disorder that I do not want to pass on.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,313,035 times
Disclosure: I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned and I have two kids.

The main problem is the people who choose not to have kids would be the responsible parents and the people that choose to have 7 kids are the least responsible parents.

Everyone should be limited to two kids then sterilized. If you have the means and are living a responsible life you could apply for a waiver to possibly have three kids. It is 2015 and no ones genes are special enough for them to reproduce 7 or more times. There are limited resources and you are doing humanity a disservice by breeding that much.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Disclosure: I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned and I have two kids.

The main problem is the people who choose not to have kids would be the responsible parents and the people that choose to have 7 kids are the least responsible parents.

Everyone should be limited to two kids then sterilized. If you have the means and are living a responsible life you could apply for a waiver to possibly have three kids. It is 2015 and no ones genes are special enough for them to reproduce 7 or more times. There are limited resources and you are doing humanity a disservice by breeding that much.
Excellent post.

In theory if couples had two kids and no more the humans would become extinct. Because of infant mortality and other issues the population maintenance rate is a bit more than two kids per couple.

The world fertility rate is on the decline even in 3rd world countries. The only exception is Sub-Sahara Africa. In places like India the fertility rate has decreased markedly since the 1940s.

The world fertility rate has decreased from 4.95 in 1950-55 to 2.36 in 2010-2015 (WIKI). The minute it gets below 2.0 we will start to see a decline in world population. Probably a good thing in the 3rd world but devastating in developed nations who are already struggling and unable to replace the population.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,681,376 times
Well, I was not returning, but since you ask what I meant by your "beating a dead horse" - it is due to this:

Your topic reads: "Couples who do not want children. Are they doing the right thing?". You ask this, then make statements repeatedly based upon your unusual stance and reasoning, expecting or insisting that all agree with you.

After many respond with honest answers and good reasons for many not having children, you ignore it and persist that the topic has "nothing to do with personal choices", but refers to something else (that many do not relate to or care about, because lets face it, people raise children not for the reasons you are sharing and insisting one should).

Quote:
But, the theme of the thread is not about our personal individual choices. The thread has to do with the consequences of a society where the number of children is going down.
Hence the "beating a dead horse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates