Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I don't drive an SUV or any of those things, I don't know what you are talking about. You've lost me.

Exactly. This guy is just judgemental of people who don't do what he thinks everyone should do. I'm done. There's no talking to him because he is set in his ways and will never see it from another view.

I don't have kids and won't for many reasons - but "driving a big SUV and not caring" isn't the reason. In fact, not having a kid is probably the biggest positive impact you can have on the environment. Not only that, but I'm challenged in the fertility department anyway. Who has $10K for me to try IVF, it probably won't take the first time. Since this guy believes it's my DUTY to have a kid maybe he should send it right on over. NO? Yeah, didn't think so!
This is not about your individual choice.

This is about future generations. What we do now has an impact on the future. And this is just a philosophical discussion, no one is judging you for having or not having kids. Individually both sides have advantages.

And not everybody is require to think about the future unless you are a tree hugger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,087,945 times
Like many posters such as Julian as stated. As long as educated Americans have a low birth rate(this translates to most Americans) more immigrants who are willing to have babies will be brought in so the demographics of the population will be stable and U.S of A will avoid an economic crisis. For all the Europeans complaining about immigrants leaving it is either stay like Russia and Japan/South Korea and possibly suffer a demographic crisis were maybe you can automate enough things to avoid such a crisis were everyone in society is retiring and old and it would basically be the reverse of the third world problem, were instead of dealing with a bunch of young people you deal with a bunch of old people. Eventually foreigners will have to be flooded in then people in these countries might start complaining about all the foreigners, when regardless of the negatives they may bring your country actually needs them now.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 AM

140 posts, read 143,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is not about your individual choice.

This is about future generations. What we do now has an impact on the future. And this is just a philosophical discussion, no one is judging you for having or not having kids. Individually both sides have advantages.

And not everybody is require to think about the future unless you are a tree hugger.
But not everyone can have children. And not everyone wants to try fertility treatments. My DH and I have been birth control-free for four years. We likely cannot conceive naturally. Fertility treatments are not within our means. So if we never conceive naturally, we will not have children. And we are totally ok with that. We quite enjoy our life without children.

So what are the people who CAN'T have kids supposed to do? Would someone else like to pay for my IVF so I can make sure the population amongst educated professional Americans stays level? Didn't think so.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceBabe View Post

So what are the people who CAN'T have kids supposed to do? Would someone else like to pay for my IVF so I can make sure the population amongst educated professional Americans stays level? Didn't think so.
The thread is not about judging "having or not having children". This is something personal and not the business of anyone.

The thread is about low fertility rates in entire nations and what happens in future generations. The fertility rate is low in developed nations and high in 3rd world countries, see below.

When a large segment of the population is older and not productive the economy suffers greatly:

The good news is that many predict the fertility rate will also fall in 3rd world countries but they will likely reproduce enough to maintain population. OTOH, the developed world is not reproducing at replacement levels and hence needs massive migration.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,161,090 times
The wrong people are having too many kids, the right people not enough kids.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,183,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
There is no sweeping right answer. Everyone must do what is right for themselves and the future they wish to build. If the choice is to have kids, have them, if you don't want kids, then don't. Pretty simple.
Ding Ding Ding.. This was going to be my answer. For every childfree couple such as my wife and I, there are others, like her uber-religious sister, that is on her 4th one right now with no intent on stopping.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Ding Ding Ding.. This was going to be my answer. For every childfree couple such as my wife and I, there are others, like her uber-religious sister, that is on her 4th one right now with no intent on stopping.
Yes, but the average fertility rate among folks like you is way less than 2.0.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 AM

590 posts, read 715,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There are seven billion people in this world... I don't think it matters very much to anyone else if a couple decides not to have children.
No kidding..........

Old 11-17-2015, 08:34 AM

774 posts, read 746,815 times
The only problem with the folks who are choosing not to have children are going to contribute to the dumbing down of society as the non-contributing mouth-breathers will continue to breed and take what they haven't earned.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Best Straw Man of the thread!

The debate is not about the inheritance of intelligence. The point of the thread is that parents that nurture education are not having children and this may have repercussion in future generations..
Actually, you are the one who made the debate about inheritance by claiming that educated people would go extinct if some chose to NOT reproduce. You are the one assuming that educational attainment or lack of same is inherited. Intelligence is a key element in the ability to learn. Posters are just connecting the dots that you put out there.

Apparently, the thought of the descendants of today's riffraff ruling the proverbial roost in 400-500 years really gets your shorts in a bunch. Maybe you should take a good, hard look at the ancestors of today's "rulers of the roost" and see what riffraff they were in their day. If your family can trace its American roots back to the 17th or early 18th century, you probably have at least one and maybe more, convict, indentured servant or slave in your family tree. If your family is of Italian, Eastern European or Jewish origin, your ancestors were the same kind of people that you're so worried about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates