Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
So really, you aren't concerned with HUMANS becoming extinct, you are concerned with Europeans, or maybe white Americans becoming extinct. If that isn't racist, I don't know what it.
Japanese are also dying due to lack of reproduction. Whether this issue is racist or not is a moot point for the sake of this discussion. However, I will acknowledge that those that see everything with racial sunglasses could be offended. Nevertheless, the disappearance of any ethnic group and culture regardless of skin color seems like a sad event. Many people make a big deal about the extinction of animals, so why not apply the same to the extinction of some ethnicities.

Quote:
And still, even if the world population decreases, that is not a bad thing.
It may ultimately be a good thing, but in the mean time there will be places on the planet where the majority of people will be old and children will be rare. This creates a major imbalance in society since the elderly depend on the young. I will admit it is possible to achieve proportion after a few generations but it will be quite painful to get there.

Quote:
No, it is not a fact. EUROPE is not a dying CONTINENT. White EUROPEANS are a dying species.
Exactly! And you don't think this is a big deal? Why is that?

Quote:
Why are you so fixated on the population that you most admire/identify with/envy/etc. continuing at the same percentages as today? As more europeans interbreed with other races/mixed backgrounds there will be no such thing as a "white european" in the future anyway.
I am also concerned with the Japanese and the Canadians who also do not reproduce. And you are correct----within 10 thousand years or so the world will be entirely mixed and olive skin. But, that is another discussion that has to do with interracial breeding. And the issue is not about racial mixing but about the lack of reproduction in folks that live in developed countries. This has repercussions into the future, almost as lethal as not taking care of the environment.

Quote:
This seems to have moved beyond "we need smart people to take care of all the dumbies" (and yes, I meant that as dumb-bees) and into the realm of "all the white people are being outnumbered!!"
You show your true colors with that preposterous "straw man".

Quote:
We aren't different species. Africans, europeans, american, indians...all are homo sapiens. It isn't quite the same as when a particular species of bird dies out.
I get the one world race with no differences, but that is not the issue. Countries with low birth rates are facing problems.

Quote:
...And you still don't seem to have an answer for how to stop the "undesirables" from reproducing. Is this supposed to just be a race to see who can produce more? To what end? So we kill off EVERYONE faster?
As people become educated and more affluent they reproduce less. Unless they are extremely wealthy. In this instance reproduction goes up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:18 PM

13,324 posts, read 7,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I've met a few couples who chose not to have kids without any health reasons.

They are either very selfish people, or have (had) a major hidden marital problem.

No exceptions.

Sorry.
How is it selfish? Reproducing is a choice many people I know choose not to have kids.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 PM

639 posts, read 580,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
How is it selfish? Reproducing is a choice many people I know choose not to have kids.
I know, right. I think they need to get out more. The original question is ridiculous. It can't possibly be wrong, it's there preference.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
The title of this thread is "Couples that do not want children. Are they doing the right thing?"

The simple answer is absolutely "yes." They are doing the right thing by not having them.

No one should ever have children unless they want them. So anyone who does not want children should never have them. Doing so creates a very bad environment for the children. As we read about the harm that comes to abused children every day, we have to wonder how many of these children were unwanted to begin with. Every child should be wanted. There is no other valid reason to bring a child into this world.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
With the world the way it is now,WHY WOULD YOU BRING AN INNOCENT CHILD INTO IT??

The world is a scumhole...... It USED TO BE GOOD until the 1980s,then things started to get worse

Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This choice will is causing major problems in developed countries. The Japanese will soon disappear from the face of the earth due to lack of reproduction.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
With the world the way it is now,WHY WOULD YOU BRING AN INNOCENT CHILD INTO IT??

The world is a scumhole...... It USED TO BE GOOD until the 1980s,then things started to get worse
Because of your mindset folks in developed countries have stopped reproducing. OTOH, folks in the 3rd world continue to reproduce. How is this helpful to the world?

Is today's lifestyle better or worse than in the 19th century? Imagine folks decided not to reproduce 2000 years ago when life was really hard?? Imagine if the hunter and gatherers of 20,000 years ago decided not to have kids because life was hard.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The title of this thread is "Couples that do not want children. Are they doing the right thing?"

The simple answer is absolutely "yes." They are doing the right thing by not having them.

No one should ever have children unless they want them. So anyone who does not want children should never have them. Doing so creates a very bad environment for the children. As we read about the harm that comes to abused children every day, we have to wonder how many of these children were unwanted to begin with. Every child should be wanted. There is no other valid reason to bring a child into this world.
The folks that decide not to have children are generally well educated, stable, and with good income. You talk about these folks as if they were uneducated ignorant people form 3rd world countries.

Last edited by Julian658; 12-16-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 AM

20 posts, read 24,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Exactly.

I only have one young adult, via the SO as it was a package bargain. The problem with having a child is that you don't know what you will get... and you can't send it back. Being a severe perfectionist, I wanted someone as a relatively young daughter, really smart and social, which I could teach and mold the route to success... though she already knew the way... She's at Harvard School of Med now... I think I did my homework.

I never wanted children, but after getting one that I could teach everything I know... it was well worth it (despite the 11 more years to be in school on my nickel). She is now out of my league, as her experience and learning dwarfs me.

But she will be a benefit to society, so I did my job.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax71 View Post
Exactly.

I only have one young adult, via the SO as it was a package bargain. The problem with having a child is that you don't know what you will get... and you can't send it back. Being a severe perfectionist, I wanted someone as a relatively young daughter, really smart and social, which I could teach and mold the route to success... though she already knew the way... She's at Harvard School of Med now... I think I did my homework.

I never wanted children, but after getting one that I could teach everything I know... it was well worth it (despite the 11 more years to be in school on my nickel). She is now out of my league, as her experience and learning dwarfs me.

This post illustrates the dichotomy of very smart educated people that decide not to have children or at most have one child.

Quote:
The problem with having a child is that you don't know what you will get... and you can't send it back. Being a severe perfectionist,
There is almost always a bit of controlling behavior and having a kid truly messes up the concept of having control. Please note I use the word controlling in a non-pejorative manner.

Quote:
I wanted someone as a relatively young daughter, really smart and social, which I could teach and mold
Exactly! What would you have done if your child was different? An artist instead of a Harvard student?

Quote:
I never wanted children, but after getting one that I could teach everything I know... it was well worth it (despite the 11 more years to be in school on my nickel).
And the issue of "dollars" is always prevalent when educated folks think about a child.

Quote:
Exactly, but it is much more than that. She may have three or four children of her own and propagate your incredibly good MEMEs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates