Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,199,696 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqJUa70LYH4

Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,549,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I agree. Christmas is totally different from "holidays". I think what we really miss about it, is those really free days when the people of this country were more homogeneous, mostly Christian, and Christmas had more of a non-commercial holiness about it. It was definitely a religious day and had real meaning for Christians.

Now I have nothing against holidays -religious or not - for people of other demographics. This has always been a country where such things were celebrated. But it seems that Christians are being marginalized, while our kids are being taught to recite Muslim prayers in school.

Don't despair. If Christianity has lasted all these centuries, surely it will survive the current onslaught. These things go in cycles, and this is just one of the lower spokes of the cycle!
You do not see the hypocrisy in what you say?

The people of this country have always been diverse, it's just that back in those "really free" days, it was understood that while it was ok that those other people celebrated, they were expected to do so privately. Their holidays (and they themselves actually) while tolerated, didn't really count.

So now somehow, recognizing that those "other people" (the "them" rather than the "us") have what might somehow, someday be equal value, it's somehow seen as less free and marginalizing? Please explain how that works. I don't understand how recognizing that others not only exist but are of equal value to me, is marginalizing? Or somehow makes me "less free".

On the one hand people are complaining about the commercialization of a religious holiday, and on the other, they are complaining when it's not commercially recognized to the extent they think it should be.

Quote:
Christmas had more of a non-commercial holiness about it. It was definitely a religious day and had real meaning for Christians.
For Christians, it still has real, religious meaning. If it doesn't, it speaks more to the faith of the individual than it does anything else.

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,635,993 times
Couple of things:
1. I am not after the "religious" part of this...I'm after the appropriateness aspect. You can't print Christmas related decor and then write: "Happy Holidays". I don't find that "offensive" I find it stupid. Meaning low IQ stupid.

2. Clearly, retailers have gone down the deep end, but "Happy Holidays" is inclusive of more than 1 holiday, plural, so in that case the designs of holiday related merchandise should also Include the rest of the holidays they wish happiness upon! Logically.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM

26,167 posts, read 22,345,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Couple of things:
1. I am not after the "religious" part of this...I'm after the appropriateness aspect. You can't print Christmas related decor and then write: "Happy Holidays". I don't find that "offensive" I find it stupid. Meaning low IQ stupid.

2. Clearly, retailers have gone down the deep end, but "Happy Holidays" is inclusive of more than 1 holiday, plural, so in that case the designs of holiday related merchandise should also Include the rest of the holidays they wish happiness upon! Logically.
I knew what you were saying, not the religious thing but the fact that "Christmas" and "Santa" and all the rest of it is a part of culture and history. Right? It is a part of our past and now it isn't "pc" because Scrooge rules.

Who are these people that have a melt down if they hear "Merry Christmas"? They have therapy for everything else so there must be someone offering therapy for that.

I never wish any one "Happy Holidays". Does that even make sense? That would be for all the holidays of the year and some truly aren't "happy" even though a holiday. Yes, stupid pretty much nails it.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,635,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I knew what you were saying, not the religious thing but the fact that "Christmas" and "Santa" and all the rest of it is a part of culture and history. Right? It is a part of our past and now it isn't "pc" because Scrooge rules.

Who are these people that have a melt down if they hear "Merry Christmas"? They have therapy for everything else so there must be someone offering therapy for that.

I never wish any one "Happy Holidays". Does that even make sense? That would be for all the holidays of the year and some truly aren't "happy" even though a holiday. Yes, stupid pretty much nails it.
Yeah! I can't wish "happy holidays" because that implies they celebrate all the holidays which is also not true!

This whole thing is stupid, and yeah, I don't know why anyone would be offended to see "Merry Christmas" on a cup/mug or other merchandise that has Santa on it, presents wrapped on red & green, and so forth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates